Bull Useful life?

spartanhuntr

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I have seen a few other threads on this topic but few are conclusive or even lead to a point of view. My request for feedback from this group is around useful life of their 700 and environmental factors. "e.g. have had mine 5 years, stored under rook, use 10 times a year, etc.).

The reason for my question is i decided to make 321 ribs today we are finally in between seasons (Baseball ended football starts in two weeks). With 4 teenagers I have not done a lot of cooking on my 700 (also have an egg, griddle and gasser). Mine is covered when not in use.

When i pulled my cover today the rust, paint bubbling (exterior) was really shocking. It as though it aged 3-4 years since my last cook a month ago or so. Maybe it was a bit of the pollen, cob webs catching leafs, etc. and other dirt that threw me, but candidly it was the first time i looked at my Bull and thought - yikes, i might only get another year out of this.

Mine is 4 years old. Maybe 5 at most.. I used it a lot early but now it is 12 times a year or so. I haven't replaced anything. Fire box... external paint, warming box, chimney all looking rough. I keep it covered most of the time.

Thoughts?

Thank you....

I have seen a few other threads on this topic but few are conclusive or even lead to a point of view. My request for feedback from this group is around useful life of their 700 and environmental factors. "e.g. have had mine 5 years, stored under rook, use 10 times a year, etc.).

The reason for my question is i decided to make 321 ribs today we are finally in between seasons (Baseball ended football starts in two weeks). With 4 teenagers I have not done a lot of cooking on my 700 (also have an egg, griddle and gasser). Mine is covered when not in use.

When i pulled my cover today the rust, paint bubbling (exterior) was really shocking. It as though it aged 3-4 years since my last cook a month ago or so. Maybe it was a bit of the pollen, cob webs catching leafs, etc. and other dirt that threw me, but candidly it was the first time i looked at my Bull and thought - yikes, i might only get another year out of this.

Mine is 4 years old. Maybe 5 at most.. I used it a lot early but now it is 12 times a year or so. I haven't replaced anything. Fire box... external paint, warming box, chimney all looking rough. I keep it covered most of the time.

Thoughts?

Thank you....
I've only had mine since last February, but I keep it inside the garage 95% of the time. I have yet to buy a cover for it, but I'm going to. My intent is to get at least 10 years out of it....

Pictures?
Ugly grills can still cook great food. You may need to do some sanding and spray paint work if it really bothers you. If it's not rusting through though - you've got plenty of time left on it.

i have mine under a covered porch and don’t cover it. my grill is over a year old but i have burned 7-800lbs of pellets in that time and i keep it clean. she still looks nearly brand new. i expect to get many years out of it. recteq doesn’t recommend covering the grills unless absolutely necessary

i have mine under a covered porch and don’t cover it. my grill is over a year old but i have burned 7-800lbs of pellets in that time and i keep it clean. she still looks nearly brand new. i expect to get many years out of it. recteq doesn’t recommend covering the grills unless absolutely necessary
Interesting. I’m not arguing with you at all, but I’ve often wondered about this. I get a lot of condensation under my cover, along with a few tiny spots of surface rust now and then. I experimented with going coverless for a few months to see what happened. When I had an issue that required a call to Recteq, one of the first things they said when I told them it wasn’t covered was “we recommend that you keep it covered when not in use.”

I’m case you were wondering, my problem (which wasn’t yet figured out at the time) ended up being unrelated- my smoke stack cap wouldn’t stay up.

I've sometimes thought the covers cause much of the rusting, peeling, etc due to trapping moisture under them in humid environments. JMHO.
Agree. I just posted here the other day about how I’ve stopped using a cover on the oldest recteq I have, a RT-700, because it would be wet for days after a rain when under a cover.

I've sometimes thought the covers cause much of the rusting, peeling, etc due to trapping moisture under them in humid environments. JMHO.

I made sure the cover I purchased had vents in it. I haven't had any problem with condensation building up, so far. But once I finish the patio roof, which an electrcian put a big hole in, I will probably leave the cover off.

Interesting. I’m not arguing with you at all, but I’ve often wondered about this. I get a lot of condensation under my cover, along with a few tiny spots of surface rust now and then. I experimented with going coverless for a few months to see what happened. When I had an issue that required a call to Recteq, one of the first things they said when I told them it wasn’t covered was “we recommend that you keep it covered when not in use.”

I’m case you were wondering, my problem (which wasn’t yet figured out at the time) ended up being unrelated- my smoke stack cap wouldn’t stay up.
that’s funny. i would guess they would blame a problem on covering or not covering depending on your answer to there question. i was watching one of there videos and they said they didn’t recommend covering the grills unless it was necessary, like an open patio i guess. i don’t cover mine because im lazy and it never gets wet. definitely dusty though which is why i keep it so clean, always knocking the dust off

Huh, I'm 65 and my smokestack has always stayed up.......:eek:

No, it was the corregated PVC and he stepped right through it to his knee. Not once but twice in 2 different spots, then left and didn't even tell us. Replacing with barn metal this week.
I've got the pvc too - thought it would be quieter in rain and hail. I did have to flex-seal a few spots because of hail damage, but no one falling through it.

My 1250 stays uncovered 100% of the time, under a covered patio I built. Stays dry

My 700 stays covered when not in use, its under an A frame roof on the deck but can get wet when it rains and winds. I have the rec teq cover on it. Ive never noticed water or condensation on the grill, always dry, and im in humid Texas

So based on my experience, covering the grill with the rec teq cover has not harmed the grill at all. And keeping my 1250 uncovered 100% of the time has not harmed the grill, just gets dusty.

My 700 stays covered when not in use, its under an A frame roof on the deck but can get wet when it rains and winds. I have the rec teq cover on it. Ive never noticed water or condensation on the grill, always dry, and im in humid Texas
How old is your cover? My 700 cover worked well for its first two years, now the rain goes right through it.

I live in NM, so my cover is mostly to prevent it being coated in dirt. Mine is still preventing rain from getting through, but it’s also on a covered patio.

Low humidity here, so no rust etc. kind of hoping it goes belly up so I have legitimate excuse to get my Pitts and Spitts. 😄

Last edited:

Thoughts?

Thank you....
You should of taken care of it.

Thoughts?

Thank you....
Mine is 4 years old. Uncovered, outside in Arkansas, open to the elements. It’s been well into the 100s this month. I use it 3x a week. I clean the insides probably only 2-3x a year. Prob should do better. My buddy who has a year old one came over yesterday and commented how mine still looks brand new. I don’t think mine has a discernible end date.

I’ll clean it this afternoon.

I have had mine 3 years and it is probably used at least 3 times a week! We rarely use the oven anymore. I do have condensation when I take the cover off but it dries once I fire up the smoker. I also use my wife's stainless steel cleaner(uses on refrigerator) after every cook before putting the cover back on! The Bull still looks brand new, no rust!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back