Use caution when cleaning grates with a wire brush (make sure no remnants are left behind)

ringosmoke

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
I just read a Washington Post article about a retired surgical oncologist who had severe abdominal pain for 2+ months.

Turned out to be a detached wire bristle from a grill brush!

I use a brush with natural bristles.

I was looking for the dual version of this but it was not available due too……. So I got this one. Is it excellent, not really but safer and does a decent job. I just did not want the common wire brush. Grate brush

I did away with all wire bristle grill brushes a few years ago. Been looking at the grill rescue brushes, but not sure I want to spend that much.

Been looking at the grill rescue brushes, but not sure I want to spend that much.
Has anyone used the rescue brush, if so does it work as great as advertised? Also noticed there are a number of similar brushes on Amazon, some cheaper, some more expensive.

Has anyone used the rescue brush, if so does it work as great as advertised? Also noticed there are a number of similar brushes on Amazon, some cheaper, some more expensive.
I use the rescue brush on my ceramic Pit Boss griddle, very happy with it in that scenario. Have never tried it on the grill grates because I expect it would be terrible at that.

I use the rescue brush on my ceramic Pit Boss griddle, very happy with it in that scenario. Have never tried it on the grill grates because I expect it would be terrible at that.
OK, Greg, don’t keep us in suspense; have you found something that works well on the grill grates? :rolleyes:

OK, Greg, don’t keep us in suspense; have you found something that works well on the grill grates? :rolleyes:
I’m not sure who made it or where I bought it, but here’s a picture I just took of what I use. I also use the flat blade to scrape the drip pan instead of a putty knife, as you can see it is still grungy from yesterday’s cook. Also, I use the cut-off ends of onions to do a lot of the hard work for me, a trick I learned from Steven Raichlen.
IMG_1605.jpeg

I use the cut-off ends of onions to do a lot of the hard work for me, a trick I learned from Steven Raichlen.
@Greg Jones, I assume the onion is used on a hot grill, right? That would seem to create something of a steam environment similar to what the Rescue Brush folks say happens with their product. Does that really loosen up the baked on, crusty residue? Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks. (y)

Has anyone used the rescue brush, if so does it work as great as advertised?
I received one as a gift and I must admit I kind of like it. It really does wash off the grill down to clean stainless steel. It also works well on my Blackstone. I mean, I use balled up foil, those GrillGrate scrapers, stainless scrubbing pads that someone here turned me on to, etc. and I'm happy with those results for everyday cleaning, but every once and a while it's nice to see bare metal vs. "seasoning". They don't seem to do much good on the high heat baked on goo I notoriously have on my charcoal grill grates.

I pop the pad off and run it through the dishwasher after cleaning the grill.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dkroll
Back