Bull Turned a 590 into a 700!

Kamikazee494

So after a few years of looking at these grills I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a 590 last month. Well yesterday after what seemed like endless days of waiting it was finally delivered. Let me tell you it started out bad! The driver called to let me know he was an hour out but the grill packaging was in terrible condition. I met the driver 2 miles from my house as I have no room for a 70 foot truck and trailer to turn around. I got the grill home and the top left side was smashed. I called RT customer service and talked to a couple different people. They were anxious to make things right for me and offered a few different options. I told them that I would not be happy unless they upgraded my purchase to a 700. The fella I talked to said he couldn't make that decision so he offered to have his supervisor call me the next morning. Well holding up to all the hype about Rec Teq's customer service I received a phone call first thing this morning. Well to make an already way to long story short, Rec Teq offered to send me a 700 at a very minimal additional cost to me. So now I have a 700 on the way. Should be here next week...more waiting.

In my opinion, telling RT you won't be happy unless they upgrade to a 700 is not right. It wasn't RT fault the 590 was damaged in shipping. I guess I am old school... but not really that old. Ummm....
Thats your opinion I guess. They offered me all sorts of accessories and refunds that I did not need for the inconvenience. The return of the old grill and delivery of the new one will require me to take two additional days off work. I don't know about you but that cost me money out of pocket. All I did is ask them to apply the money/value of accessories they wanted to give me toward a upgrade. They agreed. Again, your opinion.

recteq offers a 30 day money back trial also. i was listening to a podcast with jody flanagan the guy that does alot of the recteq cooking videos. and he said that when people return them almost always its to go from a 590 to 700. he said its rare to just get money back, mostly just going up a size.

recteq offers a 30 day money back trial also. i was listening to a podcast with jody flanagan the guy that does alot of the recteq cooking videos. and he said that when people return them almost always its to go from a 590 to 700. he said its rare to just get money back, mostly just going up a size.
Thats good to know. I didn't know about the 30 day money back guarantee. I don't intend to use it though! Looking forward to getting into the pellet grill arena. After the amazing customer service I received I know I made the right choice going with rec teq. Keeping my fingers crossed that the bull arrives in one piece and can get cooking right away!

I have to wonder about RT's damage claims with shipping companies. Seems like an awful lot of stuff gets beaten up en route...

200.gif

lol karen. i had to google the slang meaning of that. i wasn’t sure. with the first post i would have agreed, but upon reading the second post and seeing that it was simply discounted the value of items already offered. it seems like recteq didn’t loose or gain any additional money in the deal based on original posters decision to take accessories or value of accessories off a new grill. it sounds like the barrel and lid was smashed so the original was probably totaled anyway resulting in recteq having to pay to ship a new grill regardless. glad you and recteq worked it out and welcome to the forum. funny thing is im sure it cost $100 to ship a grill but you still pay full price when you goto the store. or atleast i did, i might have been a sucker though

lol karen. i had to google the slang meaning of that. i wasn’t sure. with the first post i would have agreed, but upon reading the second post and seeing that it was simply discounted the value of items already offered. it seems like recteq didn’t loose or gain any additional money in the deal based on original posters decision to take accessories or value of accessories off a new grill. it sounds like the barrel and lid was smashed so the original was probably totaled anyway resulting in recteq having to pay to ship a new grill regardless. glad you and recteq worked it out and welcome to the forum. funny thing is im sure it cost $100 to ship a grill but you still pay full price when you goto the store. or atleast i did, i might have been a sucker though
I had to look up the slang definition. Apparently I’m a middle aged white privileged women. Kinda funny considering my username. Oh well, like I said before everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I didn’t think when I joined this forum I would be dealing with name calling. Real mature.

I find it interesting that folks seem to have a problem with negotiation. I‘m a member of a forum for a particular brand of truck and a lot of the threads deal with negotiating for the best deal you can get. Everyone is happy for the person who scores a good deal.
I look at negotiating for a vehicle or a smoker the same way. You are dealing with professionals in an industry who know the details of their true cost and profit margins. Businesses make decisions all the time to a take a deal or walk away. If Rec Teq agreed to the negotiated terms to fix the OP’s problem they are fine with the terms. Others have posted where Rec Teq wouldn’t do what they wanted so they are obviously capable of saying “No”.
Congratulations @Kamikazee494 on the 700. You’ll enjoy cooking on it!

Not really the way I would have gone about it but if it makes you feel good, so be it.
You could have declined the damaged crate before even off the truck as the driver told you honestly that it wasn't in pristine condition. Would have eliminated 1 extra Day away from work not having to send back again.

I find it interesting that folks seem to have a problem with negotiation. I‘m a member of a forum for a particular brand of truck and a lot of the threads deal with negotiating for the best deal you can get. Everyone is happy for the person who scores a good deal.
I look at negotiating for a vehicle or a smoker the same way. You are dealing with professionals in an industry who know the details of their true cost and profit margins. Businesses make decisions all the time to a take a deal or walk away. If Rec Teq agreed to the negotiated terms to fix the OP’s problem they are fine with the terms. Others have posted where Rec Teq wouldn’t do what they wanted so they are obviously capable of saying “No”.
Congratulations @Kamikazee494 on the 700. You’ll enjoy cooking on it!
Thank you Waterboy. It seems like some people are mad because I received a deal. A wise man once said, "nothing is on sale unless you ask."

Not really the way I would have gone about it but if it makes you feel good, so be it.
You could have declined the damaged crate before even off the truck as the driver told you honestly that it wasn't in pristine condition. Would have eliminated 1 extra Day away from work not having to send back again.
I contacted RT before it was delivered. They advised me to accept the delivery and work with them to resolve any potential problems.

Congrats @Kamikazee494! I applaud your score!

The RecTeq folks do wheel and deal and one of the reason why people love their CS. When I decided to go with RecTeq - they weren't doing many package deals like they do now and do NOT still discount their grills. So my dad and I had the idea, we buy together and ask for something in return because they could be delivered to the same house. We talked CS into free grill covers for both of us. Just a small thing but was appreciated by my dad and I.

When I got my bullseye last July, the hopper lid has a dent in it. I called and they offered me grill grates because that part is not replaceable on it's own. I took the deal and kept the grill. I also ended up having a grill lid issue I just explained in another thread and I mentioned to me I would like a griddle and asked about when they will be back in stock(at the time) and they just sent me one for free. This is the type of the customer service they have. They want their customers to be happy.

So again, congrats on the Bull and completely understand where you are and were coming from that the stuff the initially offered you wasn't for you. But a grill upgrade for a small extra price, great work!

Hope the Bull comes in fine safely and you are smoking/grilling soon.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back