Bull TriTip - Smoke like brisket or reverse-sear like steak??

jaspry

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Bought a beautiful 2.5 lb tri-tip yesterday. Was going to cook as steak but then saw Chef Tom from AllThingsBBQ smoke one like a brisket. Now I'm torn.

Have you done both? Which do you prefer? It is a lot more expensive per pound than brisket but it looks SO good!

This is the first I've seen around here (mid-NC) so not sure when I will see another one.

Here is the smoking video:
Here is the reverse sear video:

100% cook it like a steak. I usually smoke it at 225 for a little over and hour (until it reaches about 115-120) and then sear it on my Weber propane grill. Comes out absolutely perfect!

Attachments

• DF054E88-9C46-43DE-934B-C070D7382E2D.jpeg
    DF054E88-9C46-43DE-934B-C070D7382E2D.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 98
  • B900AE96-DF10-4747-B22E-47E7E0AD87FD.jpeg
    B900AE96-DF10-4747-B22E-47E7E0AD87FD.jpeg
    850.3 KB · Views: 116
I’ve done both. 100% you want to do the reverse sear for your first Tri Tip. I cook a Tri Tip almost every week so trying something different with them is fun. If you don’t have regular access to them there is no doubt reverse sear is the best.

I agree, smoke it for a bit, then sear it nice and hot. Also, pay attention to the grain pattern as you cut. I messed that up on my first one and one side was a little tough. It was still tasty though.

It depends on your mood. I love tri-tip because your can either cook it like a steak or a brsket and it turns out awesome either way. For what it’s worth - my better half prefers it cooked like a brisket because it makes great lean sandwiches full of BBQ flavor. Cooking like a steak only gives it a hint of smoke but it’s faster and can be better timed.

You can’t lose with either option.

I have never had or seen a Tri-Tip steak, guess I need to look harder.
Tri-tip is apparently very much a California thing, not often seen outside California and surrounding states. I once asked a butcher at my local Costco about them. He told me they used to stock them, and demand was so low they ended up grinding them into hamburger. Now they ship them to California.

Tri-tip is apparently very much a California thing, not often seen outside California and surrounding states. I once asked a butcher at my local Costco about them. He told me they used to stock them, and demand was so low they ended up grinding them into hamburger. Now they ship them to California.
That explains it, thank you for the clarification.

I would never purchase a cowboy or tri tip. Too newbie to pellet grills. Still trying to figure out how to get hamburgers and chicken wings right first!! LOL

That’s a great price on a cowboy or tomahawk ribeye. Most places really gouge on the price of that cut. Even then, you are still paying $12.00 a pound for a bone that arguably adds no flavor to the steak. However, they do make great beef stock.

Tri-tip is sold at our local HEB grocery chain here in the Houston Texas area.

Here is a picture of a California tri tip trifecta last weekend. This was cooked at 200 degrees for four hours in our Bull. Pulled at 145 internal temperature. All I did was grab them from the fridge, coat with canola oil and toss on rub. Super easy and happy diners.

Attachments

• 36811.jpeg
    36811.jpeg
    154.8 KB · Views: 129

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back