Tritip - still a favorite

Roaniecowpony

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Yesterday I charcoal seared a couple tritips and then smoked them on the Bull for a few hours. I decided to use straight RT Ult Blend pellets to see how my old recipe would come out, smoke flavor wise. There's been a lot of discussion about the lack smoke flavor intensity on pellet grills. I had previously done a few smokes of tritips on the RT using mixes of mesquite, RT Ult Blend, and apple and cherry pellets. These cooks had good smoke flavor, albeit less intense than my komado charcoal/wood smokes. I have to say, the RT Ult Blend, using the same process as previous cooks, came out with much less intense smoke flavor. To me, that makes sense, because mesquite and cherry have intense flavors.

This morning, I sliced up all the tritip and put in containers and poured my mix of beef stock, rub, Dale's Steak Seasoning, Frank's Hot Sauce, over the meat.

Alone for dinner tonight again. I decided some tritip tacos were the way to go. I diced the tritip and put it in a skillet and added some taco sauce and sautee'd a bit just to warm it. The rest is pretty standard schredded lettuce, grated cheddar and salsa, on a fried corn tortilla. Sorry about the messy dinner pic. But it was sooooooo good.

20200424_193028.jpg
20200425_182926.jpg

Looks great! I looked for a tri tip while at the grocery today. No tri tip, but did get a london broil.

One of the best things about having tritip is reaching in the fridge and picking a cold slice or two out of the au jus. I think its actually better the second or third day as the au jus moves the smoke and rub flavors more into the meat. A friend that I shared my recipe with, said he liked it better cold right out of the fridge. LOL.

20200426_085235.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back