Tired of foil

Keith c

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Hi everyone. I have a RT 590. I have had it for a year and use it 2 to 3 times a week. Love this grill! One thing I got tired of is the need to keep re foiling the drip pan. I came up with a new idea. I came across the Teflon flat grill mats. They are good for up to 500 degrees.
I line the drip pan with foil as secondary containment and place the Teflon sheets on top of that. After I am done using the grill I just wipe the sheets down with a paper towel and the grill pan is totally clean as nothing sticks to the mats.
Happy grilling

Attachments

• 13642316-F189-403A-99DA-9900182E48E6.jpeg
    13642316-F189-403A-99DA-9900182E48E6.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 273
Hi everyone. I have a RT 590. I have had it for a year and use it 2 to 3 times a week. Love this grill! One thing I got tired of is the need to keep re foiling the drip pan. I came up with a new idea. I came across the Teflon flat grill mats. They are good for up to 500 degrees.
I line the drip pan with foil as secondary containment and place the Teflon sheets on top of that. After I am done using the grill I just wipe the sheets down with a paper towel and the grill pan is totally clean as nothing sticks to the mats.
Happy grilling
Welcome to the forum. That's a pretty nice idea. I gave up on foiling the drip pan very early on in my Bulls owernship and now just scrape the drip pan as needed.

Thanks. Foil was a pain in the butt. I thought about just scraping the pan, but I had these mats. So easy. Just wipe with a towel
And done. Plus they are cheap. Not sure how long it will last, but so far so good.

Thanks. Foil was a pain in the butt. I thought about just scraping the pan, but I had these mats. So easy. Just wipe with a towel
And done. Plus they are cheap. Not sure how long it will last, but so far so good.
Great idea, as long as they last for while that just may be the best of both worlds.

@Mastertech59 I went to the Darkside of being foiless too......I got really tired of having to take out the drip pan, remove the foil and 9 times out of 10 the grease got under the foil anyway. To heck with that. Now, while my smoked/grilled food is resting I just remove the grates and scrape the drip pan clean which takes all of 30 seconds, maybe. Ready to go for the next time!

I know the teflon is good to 500 degrees, What about if/when your grill is above that? Any issues? ??

I know the teflon is good to 500 degrees, What about if/when your grill is above that? Any issues? ??
I would wonder about that myself. I also would be concerned that the drip pan gets much hotter than the temp of the grill, as it’s directly over the heat diffuser.

I foiled my drip pan for about a month, then went to scraping it instead. No regrets.

Thevmats are good to 500 degrees. That’s as hot as the RT590 goes. I would guess any higher the mat would melt or burn.

Definitely a concern. I'd be cautious assuming how hot these grills get on the top end. Especially since the teflon mats are are only rated to 500°F I've seen numerous pics of the "actual" grill temp well over 500°F. One if I recall correctly was 600°F!. But of course as always.........to each their own! ?

With that said, for those of you that are still using foil give into the Dark Side and come over to being foiless......you won't regret it! ?

Definitely a concern. I'd be cautious assuming how hot these grills get on the top end. Especially since the teflon mats are are only rated to 500°F I've seen numerous pics of the "actual" grill temp well over 500°F. One if I recall correctly was 600°F!. But of course as always.........to each their own! ?

With that said, for those of you that are still using foil give into the Dark Side and come over to being foiless......you won't regret it! ?
The temp was a concern. I do not run the grill on max, but have run it up to 475. The mats did fine with no breakdown of the mats. With going without foil how does the drip pan clean up??

The temp was a concern. I do not run the grill on max, but have run it up to 475. The mats did fine with no breakdown of the mats. With going without foil how does the drip pan clean up??
Quickly and easily using one of these, there will still be some black on it as it gets seasoned, don't worry about that stuff scrape the heavy crap into a barrel. I rest my drip pan on top of the recycling barrel and scrape it into the trash barrel.
20200606_115939.jpg

The drip pan takes all of 30 seconds max. to scrape off and clean with a tool like this.

20200606_120107.jpg

I take my food off to give it my customary rest and I just lift off the grates, set them aside and scrape the drip pan clean. Everthing comes off easier hot/warm and I push all the grease, bits and pieces etc., all the way to the right side and into the grease trap. Easy.....Peezy.

I will see how long the mats last. If they fail I will give that a try. Have you thought of scraping the pan after a cook when it’s still want and scrape the debris into the grease drip bucket?

Happy grilling
I have the RT700. I’m guessing I could still use the Teflon. Who makes it and where do you buy it?

The drip pan takes all of 30 seconds max. to scrape off and clean with a tool like this.

View attachment 4598
I take my food off to give it my customary rest and I just lift off the grates, set them aside and scrape the drip pan clean. Everthing comes off easier hot/warm and I push all the grease, bits and pieces etc., all the way to the right side and into the grease trap. Easy.....Peezy.

That’s what I was thinking would be easy cleanup

View attachment 4598
Do you cover the tool in foil for easy clean up of the tool? Just ask in’ ?? Go Greenies Go!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back