Tired of the inconsistency!

Josh M.

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
I have owned my rt-340 for about 2-21/2 years now and ever since i passed the 3-4 month ownership period i have had to give this thing more attention than an offset smoker would require. I called in every malfunction (mainly being heat spikes and heat losses) and it seems the companies cust serv has had a dodgy answer for all of the issues and for a period of two tears calling in all of my issues. In these last two years+ when i have called in, the comapny has mentioned that the pellets i am using are the issue and the only reason i was using the current pellets at the time of my issue is because rectec’s website recommended that i do so. I understand pellets can sit too long on shelves, loose or obtain moisture beyond their standards but c’mon. Either way and once again i am dealing with a smoker this weekend that will not hold consistant temps and another expensive peice of meat wasted because this rectec rt340 cannot live up to the hype it was given by the company in the beginning. I need a long term solution for this thing or it will be going to the landfill or some other unlucky person willing to buy on fb marketplace and imma get me an offset and learn the tradition way because i feel like the amount of attention that is needed for this rt340 far out weighs what a traditional offset would demand. I am sick and tired of having to vacuum out and waste pellets from a previous cook and just having to clean this smoker before each and every cook to even get a decent cook out of it. Like i said, i need a permanent solution and quick. I do not wish to get another runaround from rectec on why i am currently not using the right pellets or how i need to be pampering this smoker in some kind of way that i am currently not.

I have owned my rt-340 for about 2-21/2 years now and ever since i passed the 3-4 month ownership period i have had to give this thing more attention than an offset smoker would require. I called in every malfunction (mainly being heat spikes and heat losses) and it seems the companies cust serv has had a dodgy answer for all of the issues and for a period of two tears calling in all of my issues. In these last two years+ when i have called in, the comapny has mentioned that the pellets i am using are the issue and the only reason i was using the current pellets at the time of my issue is because rectec’s website recommended that i do so. I understand pellets can sit too long on shelves, loose or obtain moisture beyond their standards but c’mon. Either way and once again i am dealing with a smoker this weekend that will not hold consistant temps and another expensive peice of meat wasted because this rectec rt340 cannot live up to the hype it was given by the company in the beginning. I need a long term solution for this thing or it will be going to the landfill or some other unlucky person willing to buy on fb marketplace and imma get me an offset and learn the tradition way because i feel like the amount of attention that is needed for this rt340 far out weighs what a traditional offset would demand. I am sick and tired of having to vacuum out and waste pellets from a previous cook and just having to clean this smoker before each and every cook to even get a decent cook out of it. Like i said, i need a permanent solution and quick. I do not wish to get another runaround from rectec on why i am currently not using the right pellets or how i need to be pampering this smoker in some kind of way that i am currently not.
Sorry you're unhappy. If you were close by I'd take it off your hands.

Hate to hear that, as my RT-340 is rock solid on the set temp and actual temp, varying by only maybe five degrees up or down even on a very long cook.

Maybe if you give more detail, the members here can help with your problems.
What kind of pellets you using etc...

While I have experienced a few problems with my 340, (leaking lids, failure to light, etc.), my experience with RT customer service has been very positive. I have never felt like the CS reps who have helped me were trying to dodge the problem. Based on my experiences, I would rate RT's customer service as excellent.

Initial product quality control, well, that is another story.

I have had none of these. Works like a charm for low slow cooking and did a couple of burgers last night at 500 on the grill grates that were delicious. Sorry you have had so many issues. My one complaint was no front shelf and I fixed that

Heh...they blamed me for all of their problems too. I use a weber for my hot stuff and my rectec for my smoking stuff.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back