Stampede Excessive smoke from drippings on foil

needlenose12

I have had my 590RT for a couple of years. I have a question concerning heavy smoke not from pellets or pot. It is from the drippings of whatever I am cooking. Almost to the point that it will start a fire on the aluminum foil. This is at 400 degrees and above.

I have had my 590RT for a couple of years. I have a question concerning heavy smoke not from pellets or pot. It is from the drippings of whatever I am cooking. Almost to the point that it will start a fire on the aluminum foil. This is at 400 degrees and above.
I suppose one person's definition of "excessive" could be different from someone else's.
IMO, the smoking drippings help to season the grill as well as add flavor to what is being cooked.

It also seems that it may be more a matter of the type of meat being cooked. Stands to reason that a fattier cut of beef/pork will have more drippings than a lean cut.

Many fats, such as pork fat, will smoke long before 400f. Maybe I didn't understand the question.

I think smoke may also be dependent on the particular protein you are cooking and how it remains on the foil. If it is Wagyu, the smoke point is in the low 110F range when it liquifies. For a sturdier fat (think cartilage, Deckle, or similar) the smoke may take more energy/BTUs to start. One trick you may try is to use a shallow pan to catch the drippings. If done properly, you can add a little water periodically to offset the chances of smoke and potential fire. This way you can keep the chamber’s humidity levels higher and prevent a flash fire. One thing is for sure, when the burnt smell penetrates the meat, you’ve crossed the line for good flavor.

Happy Cookin…

I think smoke may also be dependent on the particular protein you are cooking and how it remains on the foil. If it is Wagyu, the smoke point is in the low 110F range when it liquifies. For a sturdier fat (think cartilage, Deckle, or similar) the smoke may take more energy/BTUs to start. One trick you may try is to use a shallow pan to catch the drippings. If done properly, you can add a little water periodically to offset the chances of smoke and potential fire. This way you can keep the chamber’s humidity levels higher and prevent a flash fire. One thing is for sure, when the burnt smell penetrates the meat, you’ve crossed the line for good flavor.

Happy Cookin…
Thanks that is a good idea.

Lose the foil, it can trap the grease from flowing to the trough. I foiled the 1st few times, then stopped, for me, it's more trouble than it's worth. Make sure the grill is level and or the right side is lower than the left.
Pungo,

i have heard many posts on going “naked” on the grill. I have always used the heavy duty Reynolds Wrap in 2 layers and my RT700 still looks great. Interestingly, if you watch any of the recent RecTeq videos, they also keep their smokers’ drip trays wrapped/covered.

Happy Cookin,

Lose the foil, it can trap the grease from flowing to the trough. I foiled the 1st few times, then stopped, for me, it's more trouble than it's worth. Make sure the grill is level and or the right side is lower than the left.
Thanks I will do that as well.

Pungo,

i have heard many posts on going “naked” on the grill. I have always used the heavy duty Reynolds Wrap in 2 layers and my RT700 still looks great. Interestingly, if you watch any of the recent RecTeq videos, they also keep their smokers’ drip trays wrapped/covered.

Happy Cookin,
That’s because they have Sherp, who it appears his full time job is to keep clean foil on the recteq grills and clean up all the sloppy mess that Jody et.all. makes on the grills. My experience tells me a putty knife is faster and less expensive than using foil.

That’s because they have Sherp, who it appears his full time job is to keep clean foil on the recteq grills and clean up all the sloppy mess that Jody et.all. makes on the grills. My experience tells me a putty knife is faster and less expensive than using foil.

Yup so easy and quick, and the grease pan has such a perfect and uniform patina. :)

Pungo,

Happy Cookin,
That's why I said, "for me", by all means, do whatever works for "you". The foil vs no-foil has been debated innasium, I only suggested trying no-foil since the OP is complaining about excess smoke from grease on the drip tray :unsure:

Oh so true. We saw a Sherp in action. If only we had him at our house. Nope, I make a mess and it's mine to fix.

Pungo,

Happy Cookin,
If you go "naked" I'd suggest wearing an apron, bare minimum. Some parts are more sensitive to heat.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back