Bullseye Thinking of getting a Bullseye

Tacomasoccerdad

But looking for a little feedback.

I have a GMG that has some issues. I’d like to replace it with a better brand like recteq or grilla. I can spend $900, but if I can get a recteq for about $500, that is pretty intriguing.

My main concern with the bullseye is holding reasonably steady temperatures around 225. It seems like some are very satisfied with the bullseye low and slow but others are not.

Can I leave a pork shoulder overnight and get reasonably good results? I understand the bullseye isn’t the ideal slow smoker, but is it reasonably good?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

I have a GMG that has some issues. I’d like to replace it with a better brand like recteq or grilla. I can spend $900, but if I can get a recteq for about $500, that is pretty intriguing.

My main concern with the bullseye is holding reasonably steady temperatures around 225. It seems like some are very satisfied with the bullseye low and slow but others are not.

Can I leave a pork shoulder overnight and get reasonably good results? I understand the bullseye isn’t the ideal slow smoker, but is it reasonably good?

For the price it's hard to beat. Yes, it will hold temps of 200 without issue.

I have both a bull and a 590. I bought the 590 1st. I’m glad I did because if I had bought the Bull 1st I would have never bought the 590. The bull is better for ribs, chicken, hamburgers, I think the 590 is better at making bacon and briskets because of the WiFi and larger pellet hopper for longer cooks. im not saying the Bull will not do both.
Customer service is outstanding.
good luck with your decision.

I have both a bull and a 590. I bought the 590 1st. I’m glad I did because if I had bought the Bull 1st I would have never bought the 590. The bull is better for ribs, chicken, hamburgers, I think the 590 is better at making bacon and briskets because of the WiFi and larger pellet hopper for longer cooks. im not saying the Bull will not do both.
Customer service is outstanding.
good luck with your decision.
I got both too in 2020. I have used my 590 maybe three times. Love my 380.

love my bull for slow cooks, love my bullseye for shorter cooks with higher temps. Others may disagree but i think the bullseye is a better replacement for daily cooks. If your looking for smoking long term I’d look to some of the other models. My pops and several friends have the 340 and love it. Also know some folks with the 590 with no complaints. Mostly I’d say it depends on what your cooking most of the time and how many your cooking for

My neighbor uses his for low cooks quit a bit ,he loves it, also that thing cranks if you want it hot ,he sent me this picture last week .Yep that's 844.F that's hot

Attachments

• IMG_0139001.jpg
    IMG_0139001.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
I have the bullseye and love it. However, I wouldn’t call it a low and slow or even attempt at an overnight cook on it. It does great with spatchcock chicken & turkey, ribs, burgers, fish, etc. I’ve done a flat brisket on it but not sure I’d rely on it for a whole brisket. My longest cook on it is like 6-7 hours. At first, the temp was sporadic but after a half dozen cooks or so, it got really consistent.

Anyone know what the wait time is for delivery once an order is placed?

I have the bullseye and love it. However, I wouldn’t call it a low and slow or even attempt at an overnight cook on it. It does great with spatchcock chicken & turkey, ribs, burgers, fish, etc. I’ve done a flat brisket on it but not sure I’d rely on it for a whole brisket. My longest cook on it is like 6-7 hours. At first, the temp was sporadic but after a half dozen cooks or so, it got really consistent.
Thanks for the response. Why wouldn’t you go overnight with it?

I would call the Bullseye the Swiss Army Knife of smokers. It will door a good job of low and slow. But is not the best at doing it. It will do a good job of searing steaks with a set of Grill grates but not as well as a smoking hot Charcoal Grill. The available temperature range is unequalled. If I could only have one pellet grill it would easily be the Bullseye.

I would call the Bullseye the Swiss Army Knife of smokers. It will door a good job of low and slow. But is not the best at doing it. It will do a good job of searing steaks with a set of Grill grates but not as well as a smoking hot Charcoal Grill. The available temperature range is unequalled. If I could only have one pellet grill it would easily be the Bullseye.
My Bullseye grill grates have never been used. I just crank the grill temp up for searing. One less messy thing to have to clean up. More time for beer.

I love my Bullseye and My 590. It is a great combination! Both have performed well and have provided great cooks. I use the Bullseye a little less now that I have a Blackstone, but honestly I still use all of them each week.

590-Awesome smoker, just cooked a pork butt today, tenderloin last week, ribs.....it is so stable.
Bullseye-Great for hot and fast during the week, chicken, steaks, burgers. It is too easy.
Blackstone-I must admit the Blackstone Completed me. Mostly breakfast, awesome omelets, eggs, pancakes, hash browns, all breakfast meats, Hibachi and stir fry, but can also do smash burgers etc.
Steak, chicken, burgers still better on Bullseye IMHO.

I love my Bullseye and My 590. It is a great combination! Both have performed well and have provided great cooks. I use the Bullseye a little less now that I have a Blackstone, but honestly I still use all of them each week.
The funny part is I will have owned a Bullseye two years this coming June, and I don’t think I’ve used the Blackstone since then. The Blackstone is an awesome piece of kit, but I never felt relaxed cooking full, non-breakfast meals on it. Everything was rush, rush, and the temps when standing over it in the warm months, out in the sun, was uncomfortable also.

I do agree that it is hard to beat for breakfast, but my wife usually doesn’t eat breakfast and now that we are empty nesters, it doesn’t make sense to fire up a 36” griddle just for me. I bought one of the griddle plates from GrillGrates and it works perfectly for making breakfast for 1-2 on the Bullseye.

Got my Son a Bullseye for a housewarming when he moved into his new house. I used it to cook a Prime Rib (4 Hour cook) for Christmas - been doing them for years, folks said it was the best ever! I have a Bull myself and had been thinking of getting a Bullseye for smaller/quicker cooks - I have been holding fast to my Weber Genesis for the shear fact that we live in Hurricane country and I don't need electrical power to be able to use the Weber - both the Bull and the future Bullseye require power... what to do when there is an outage??
IMG_20211225_181640203.jpg
IMG_20211225_184734028.jpg

Got my Bullseye right before New Years and I love it. First thing I did was a quick cook (steak, shrimp, veggies) and everything came out great. 2 weeks ago I did a pork shoulder and it was awesome. 12 hour cook overnight that I didn't have to baby at all. Got it to temp at "low" around 11 and then put it on at midnight. Using my Meater, I checked in at 8 AM and I was at 175 degrees internally, which is where I wanted to be. I did have to add pellets before 10 AM, then pulled it after 11 AM. The pork was for dinner, so I wrapped it in foil and put it in my cooler until 4 PM. Took it out and it pulled apart with my hands. I'm no BBQ expert, but it was GREAT BBQ considering the little effort I had to put in.

Only issue that might be there is my Meater was showing my average holding temp was 260 degrees, considerably higher than the 200 my Bullseye was showing. Could have been a lot of factors on this, but it did not impact my cook at all. I'll monitor it. It's really cold here right now, so the Bullseye might have been fighting the 10 degree temps overnight.

Attachments

• PXL_20220109_170311788.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220109_170311788.MP.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 108
  • PXL_20220109_230620741.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220109_230620741.MP.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 110
I have not done low and slow on my Bullseye. In my experience it is not quite as stable as my 590. That being said, I think plenty of people use it that way, so I defer to them. I just dont need it as I have the 590.
As far as power outages, our house we just moved from had a home generator so it never was a problem. However in the new house we did have the power go out in the middle of a smoking some ribs and it did mess up my cook. I have been thinking about getting a small generator for that, my wife thinks I am taking things overboard.......

I have been thinking about getting a small generator for that, my wife thinks I am taking things overboard.......

I don't think so on that one. Not fun if you can't finish the cook you planned and a simple small generator will do the job. I have 3 generators, two medium and one small so I guess I'm biased there. And the two medium will run on gasoline & natural gas. After Sandy I don't take chances.

The bullseye can do low and slow but it is not best suited for that type of cook. For me, The biggest problem with low and slow in the bullseye is it’s lack of grease handling. On fatty cuts you are going to have a mess in the stock bullseye after a long smoke. I love my b380 for what is does best, which is searing. The temp will keep close to target (with an offset perhaps) so a smoked steak with a reverse sear is Completely in its wheelhouse. I find I use my bullseye more than my other pellet grills because it’s so versatile and easy to get into action. with a large pizza stone, it makes a fantastic flatbread/pizza oven.

if you want a versatile, hot grill with the option to occasionally do brisket or pulled pork, the bullseye is a good choice. Some of the accessories available for the grill make it even better.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back