Trailblazer Thinking of getting an RT- 340

Yard Bird

I usually only cook for 3-5 people any thoughts on this size. the website mentions an optional second rack but i cant find it anyware on the website. Would like to purchase at same time to save on the shipping.

I have a 340 and love it, but I often wish I had bought a bigger one. I have the small interior shelf also. If I’m just cooking for my family of 4, it’s not too bad. But if we have company or get together with neighbors, I really notice the limitations of a smaller grill. So you need to decide if you will be doing much entertaining where you might need more grill space. As they say, it is better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I have a family of four and can handle anything we need on the Trailblazer. For example with the shelf , I can do 3 racks of ribs, or I have done close to 50 wings. It can handle 2 pork shoulder.

If those type of numbers are not enough, the go up a size. Either way you will love the Rec Teq grill.

I have been using my 340 for almost a year now. With a family of 5 and friends over, I have done pretty good with it for size, though I have had to use the shelf. If I were to do it over, I would go one size up. I think a little extra room would make things easier. With that said though, the 340 is a great and efficient smoker that keeps at its setpoint very well.

Thanks to all, for the info. I ordered my 340 today. After talking to customer service that actually called me back after leaving a message. I took that as a good sign. Just to pass it along the shelves were taken off the website as they are on back order and will be added back when new supply is in. Thanks again

I think it would be very tight. The inside of the smoker is 22" wide. I'm guessing a 5 lb spatchcocked ckn is about 12" wide and maybe a little less from neck to tail. Don't think I've done a 5 lb'er.

I love my 340! I got mine back in May and have been using it at least once a week. You’re gonna love it, man. One thing I will say, I bought the small interior shelf to add more space, but I rarely use it because it makes it too tight of a fit in there. I don’t really cook for a ton of people, so the 340 is perfect for me, but I do regret not getting the 590. The reason I say this is because I love to do Meal Prep for my wife and I which usually means about 12-16 chicken breasts and I find it difficult to do it even using the small interior shelf. Other than that, I absolutely love it and have made so many delicious meals on it! You’re gonna be extremely satisfied!

I bought 2 of the GrillPro 14625 Universal Racks from Amazon and they fit perfectly into the RT-340.

Attachments

• D07EEEA0-A56D-462C-AE95-2ACD1F98A1F2.jpeg
    D07EEEA0-A56D-462C-AE95-2ACD1F98A1F2.jpeg
    260.3 KB · Views: 134
  • 5EEE75C9-ED71-46DB-82ED-30354377376D.jpeg
    5EEE75C9-ED71-46DB-82ED-30354377376D.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 159
I cooked 3 racks of baby backs on my son-in-laws 340, using a rib holder that put the ribs on their edge (I believe it was a Weber - for around $15 from Home Depot). I think you could do 4 or 5 racks. I did a 321 type of cook, 3 ribs on edge with mustard & rub for 3 hours at 235, then put the 3 baby backs in a Dollar Tree Alum foil pan for step 2, used brown sugar, honey & some apple juice in bottom, then covered with heavy foil for 2 hours at 235 deg. Then piled them on top of each other for step 3 with some BBQ sauce for about 30 minutes. Came out great.

However if you are going to cook for a lot of people, buy a bigger grill.

By the way, I have a 590 and a 2 burner gas grill also. No problem cooking for a crowd. I cook the low and slow stuff on the 590 and other things needing a sear (burgers, steaks) on the gasser.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back