Stampede Temperature thoughts

Maule Guy

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I have learned to live with the right to left temperature differences in my RT-590. Just a fact of design that the right side of the grates is hotter than the left.

I put six fire bricks in the bottom of the grill. While these don't seem to make any difference in the L/R variance they do seem to keep the temp steadier in windy weather.

I have played with what the temperature is at the actual cooking level and that is different from the RT thermometer which measures ~6 inches above the cooking surface.

You can use dual probes and place them on the grates but need to find a way to elevate the tip to about mid way up the item you are cooking to measure the temps at the left and right ends of the grate at about the height of the item being smoked . I use small wooden blocks that I drilled a hole in to tightly accept the probe. The angle can be varied by sliding the block up and down the probe, within reason of course. On my particular grill a 215F set temp yields about a 230F temp about 1.5 inches above the grate in the center. For ribs this is about the right height ( wood blocks are fine for 225F cooks but higher might not be a good material) . I am thinking a ball of aluminum foil might be able to bring the tip of the probe to the mid-point of a brisket or pork butt.

Food for thought.

I was a little anal about temp when I 1st got the grill, adjusting for every cook, that went away fairly quick, as did keeping the outside spotless.

It's been a while, but if I remember right when I got the grill I adjusted the RT offset to what I got about an inch above the grate using my 3rd party remote probe using the grate clip they come with. The ability to adjust the offset to whatever you want is one of the bennies of the RT.

The only thing I do these days to allow for the L to R temp variance is flip the meat half way thru the cook.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back