Bullseye Grease fire erratic temperature reading

wml331

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
Cooking a whole chicken and after smoking at 225 for a couple of hours turned up to 300 and mi uses later had a huge grease fire. Removed the chicken and got everything calmed down and the grill temp reading would go from 150 to 400 in a matter of minutes. Any advice? Grill is brand new. Only cooked a NY Strip Roast before this.

My guess is you dripped enough grease on to the diffuser during the 225 part of the cook to catch fire when you turned the temp up to 300. The fire pot gets significantly hotter than the 300 and with grease sitting right above it and/or dripping down into it that was enough to start the fire. It’s one of the problems using the 380 for low and slow, you need some kind of grease management. When you cook hot and fast the grease pretty much cooks off as it hits the diffuser. Although even a cook with a lot of greasy hamburgers or chicken thighs at high heat can be a challenge too.
As far as the temp swings I’d clean out the fire pot, grill and diffuser, start it back up and let it run for awhile to see if it stabilizes.

My guess is you dripped enough grease on to the diffuser during the 225 part of the cook to catch fire when you turned the temp up to 300. The fire pot gets significantly hotter than the 300 and with grease sitting right above it and/or dripping down into it that was enough to start the fire. It’s one of the problems using the 380 for low and slow, you need some kind of grease management. When you cook hot and fast the grease pretty much cooks off as it hits the diffuser. Although even a cook with a lot of greasy hamburgers or chicken thighs at high heat can be a challenge too.
As far as the temp swings I’d clean out the fire pot, grill and diffuser, start it back up and let it run for awhile to see if it stabilizes.
Thanks for the input. I figured as much. Any tips on managing the grease?

@wml331 I think some have used something like this. There are several folks on the forum that use the 380 for low and slow, hopefully someone with more experience than me will share what they do. I do my low and slow cooks on a rt700 so haven’t needed a solution for grease.

I don’t have that particular device but a general rule for avoiding grease fires is to use a pan to catch the drippings. You may need to cut it to fit and add water but it typically works. Good luck with your future meals.

@wml331 I think some have used something like this. There are several folks on the forum that use the 380 for low and slow, hopefully someone with more experience than me will share what they do. I do my low and slow cooks on a rt700 so haven’t needed a solution for grease.
Probably could use disposable pans. That was my first thought.

I have disposables similar to what Waterboy showed. Amazon has them. Works great.

Premium Products Corp. Disposable Drip Pans - 10 Pack -13 Inch by 1 Inch Large Round Drip Pans - Perfect for Large Big Green Egg, Kamado Joe Classic Joe, Acorn & Weber Grills & Smokers https://a.co/d/iCw0q8p

They weren’t as expensive as they are now when I got them. I‘Ll probably get the SS pan now.

I used to use 16" stainless steel pizza pans in my egg for drip trays. Foil balls at 4 points will make a nice stand off if needed.

They make 12" and up. I would pick that size that serves the best. Stainless makes them pretty indestructible. Don't forget to offset the grease tray or it will get as hot has your fire plate.

Just my 2 cents.
v/r r

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back