Bullseye Checking actual temperature of 380 bulleye

LTRock

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
Hello All, I'm looking to check the actual temperature of my grill. When I use my temp probe for my thermometer and clip it the grill area it's like 100 degrees higher then what the rectec grill temperature is. Does any one know were I could place it to show temperature of the grill?

Are you using an ambient temperature probe or one designed for insertion into protein? I have found that probes designed for insertion into protein aren’t very accurate for ambient measurement.

And, RT measures the ambient temperature at the vertical probe at the end of the barrel chamber; to get an apples-to-apples comparison, your probe needs to be relatively close to it.

I’ve not noticed a difference in readings, or at least not enough to recall getting concerned about, and have used meat probes to check air temps in the oven. I try to get the probe up off the grate, if you have a probe clip like this, that should do the trick. I’ve used balled up tin foil with the probe stuck through too.

IMG_0148.jpeg

I’ve not noticed a difference in readings, or at least not enough to recall getting concerned about, and have used meat probes to check air temps in the oven. I try to get the probe up off the grate, if you have a probe clip like this, that should do the trick. I’ve used balled up tin foil with the probe stuck through too.

View attachment 21510

That may be why I didn’t have good results with my protein probe measuring ambient; no way to hold it in the proper position. The TW ambient probe comes with that clip and it works well. I never thought of the foil ball as a holder; great idea.

Are you using an ambient temperature probe or one designed for insertion into protein? I have found that probes designed for insertion into protein aren’t very accurate for ambient measurement.

And, RT measures the ambient temperature at the vertical probe at the end of the barrel chamber; to get an apples-to-apples comparison, your probe needs to be relatively close to it.

Hey Jim, I'm not using a meat type probe it's the one with the flat end. I'm using a clip to the metal grate of the grill. I'm trying to see if I put the grill say at 250 will it be 250 inside there.

Hey Jim, I'm not using a meat type probe it's the one with the flat end. I'm using a clip to the metal grate of the grill. I'm trying to see if I put the grill say at 250 will it be 250 inside there.
OK. So, put it as close as possible to the vertical Recteq temp probe to get a good comparison.

Have you checked your after-market probe for accuracy using an ice-water bath or boiling water (temp adjusted for altitude)? To get an accurate comparison, you need to have a standard that has been validated somehow.

If you do find that your actual ambient temperature is significantly different than what the RT probe shows, there is a procedure on your Bullseye for doing an offset to make it more accurate.

Last edited:
Can you clip the met probe to the built in? That’d tell you if one of the 2 is flaky. If okay then but the 3rd party probe out where you actually cook and adjust the built ins reading.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back