Switching brands

coast smoke

I have a pit boos 1150 ps2 and am going to return it and am thinking of the rec tec 590 or 700. Was wondering if anyone has switched from pit boss to rec tec and was there a big difference.

Never owned a Pit Boss but have owned a handful of others and can say without a shadow of a doubt my Recteq is leaps and bounds ahead of them in terms of quality of build, reliability, and function. Again, just like Chris above I am biased, but based on my experiences with other brands Recteq makes the superior product.

My son in law has a Pit Boss. It's truly not in the same league as a RecTeq.

I can't speak for Pit Boss but my experience with Traeger is not promising. I went through 2 units before going for the RecTeq after a few years of not being able to use it due to auger lockups, flameouts, poor high temps and just plain temp swings all over the place.

Is RecTeq perfect? No.. but what is? It is darn close though and customer support can't be matched along with the warranty. That is the major difference. Care free for 6 years on the Bull.

Just returned my Pit Boss today and trying to decide which RecTeq to order. I really liked the look's and the construction of the Pit Boss but I just got tired of dealing with the temp. swings. If they would fix the controller and the app they would have a very good product.

Just returned my Pit Boss today and trying to decide which RecTeq to order. I really liked the look's and the construction of the Pit Boss but I just got tired of dealing with the temp. swings. If they would fix the controller and the app they would have a very good product.
I used a Pitboss 800 for about a year before I switched. Kept waiting for a sale on Recteqs that never happened. I can say the RT700 really holds the temps. My Pittboss would have swings up to 100 degrees. Mine didn't have wifi so that was a nice addition. The PB seemed to get up to the desired temp quicker but I never tested them or actually timed them. One thing I really find interesting is the fire pot seems to stay a lot cleaner in the RT700. I would need to clean out the PB after every few cooks and it always had a big chunk of I guess dust in it that had hardened together. It was like a big round piece of concrete in the firepot. I'm guessing that is part of the big temp swings on my PB. I didn't change pellets when I got the RT700 so I have no idea why it would do that in the PB. I did 5 or 6 cooks on the RT700 and went to clean it out and there was hardly any dust in the fire pot. I was really surprised. I won't say money wise the extra features were worth the $1000 price difference but I am glad I bought it.

Finally ordered my REC TEQ today and can't wait to get it and see if it as good as everyone says it is. I did a lot of research and I feel like it I am going to really enjoy it.
I'm sure you will enjoy it 👍

The piece of "concrete" you describe is called a clinker & is common with pellet fuels. I note them in my 2 Breckwell Pellet stoves which I use to help heat my home, but not so much in my RT-700 which is likely a result of higher quality pellets used in grills with the absence of binders. Clinkers are basically the fusion of non combustible elements in wood & can block the holes in the burn pot & thus the blower air that aids in a clean/efficient burn.

I can't speak for Pit Boss but my experience with Traeger is not promising. I went through 2 units before going for the RecTeq after a few years of not being able to use it due to auger lockups, flameouts, poor high temps and just plain temp swings all over the place.

Is RecTeq perfect? No.. but what is? It is darn close though and customer support can't be matched along with the warranty. That is the major difference. Care free for 6 years on the Bull.
I had a Traeger for 8 years then decided I wanted an updated grill with dual probes. I purchased the 340 as there is only my wife and myself to cook for. The Traeger never gave me one minute of problems other than having to replace the igniter. I really liked the Traeger as it did perform for a lower price. I have had the 340 for about 6 months and like it very much. I think it is higher quality on the build but I find the cook is about equal.

I don't know about Pit Boss but, I went from a Green Mountain Daneil Boone to the Recteg Bull and am much happier.

I had a Louisiana Grills LG-900.( which is in the Pit Boss family and sold it to a neighbor and moved to an RT-590.

Temp fluctuations and differential from left to right were too much to deal with. while the RT-590 is a good grill for holding temp and L/R differential, but I do miss the second shelf in the LG. The "second shelf" sold by ReqTeq is next to useless if you have anything of size on the bottom shelf.

My dad bought a Pit Boss last year, it's a smaller model but in my opinion can't even hold a candle anywhere near a RecTeq. The build, the capacity, engineering, all of it - RecTeq blows away.

That's not to say the Pit Boss is no good. That's certainly not the case as it managed to cook hamburgers just fine for us when we visited them a few weekends ago. They will certainly get the job done, but I don't think it will last anywhere near as long as my RecTeq will.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyclorphan
Back