Finding pellet brands

JTolbert

Grill(s) owned
  1. BFG
I live in Ohio and would like to try smokering brand pellets and lumberjack both of which are not available anywhere around here. Could ship from blains farm and fleet?, at least lumberjack. Was wondering how you guys get your hands on these brands? As well as other good brands!

Yes, finding some of the "good" pellets at a reasonable price is sort of a challenge lately.
  • Lumberjack seems to be available at some Dick's Sporting Goods, but not all. I found a sort of local fishing/hunting/gun shop place that sells them, but will only ship 40 pounds maximum per order.
  • Bear Mountain is at some Lowes and some Tractor Supply, but not all
  • Cookin' Pellets is available on Amazon, but sort of pricey.
  • Kingsford is available at Home Depot and grocery stores like Safeway/Albertsons
  • Knotty Wood is available at Home Depot with free delivery. Wait for sales.
  • Costco is total hit and miss other than their house brand.
  • Cabelas/Bass Pro has pellets allegedly made by the big brands, not not confirmed.
  • Traeger and Pit Boss are at most Ace Hardware
The killer is if you can't find local sources, shipping costs are absurd. I used to have a local guy that had a variety at good prices. He since fled CA to move back to America.

If you're in a place that has local BBQ supply place (not like a BBQ's Galore, etc.) , there's always a chance you can find good stuff at a reasonable price. Be leery of just looking at Amazon or Walmart online as their third party sellers are routinely gouging at $2 - 3$ per pound for stuff normally priced at 0.50 - $1 per pound.

When I find a source, I usually buy a couple hundred pounds at a time.

FYI, Smoke Ring was my absolute favorite brand of pellets, but I actually confirmed with the parent company that they disbanded their dealer network and recently sold the brand name to a company called Michigan Wood Fuels that markets their own brand of pellets and that company presently has no plans to sell any pellets nationwide. They are not presently selling Smoke Ring pellets.

Thanks! Yeah that's what I'm finding early here in my search is that I can find alot of brands online and they don't seem to be available locally and as you said added shipping costs are ridiculous

Try your local restaurant supply store(s). I get my LJ pellets from one. If you have a Tractor Supply nearby, they usually stock Bear Mountain.

Did you try the dealer locator on the Lumber Jack web site? I see a handful for Ohio. I'd suggest you call before driving to one of the dealers, Lumber Jack seems to sell out. The one closest to me here in MA got their first shipment since Covid started just recently. They were down to maybe a dozen bags when I stopped in.

FYI, literally hot off the presses. My buddy that I used to get Smoke Ring from, just sent me this:

1667439990044.jpeg

I live in Ohio and would like to try smokering brand pellets and lumberjack both of which are not available anywhere around here. Could ship from blains farm and fleet?, at least lumberjack. Was wondering how you guys get your hands on these brands? As well as other good brands!

I'm in central Ohio, I get the 40 pound Pitboss pellets from Menards, they serve me very very well and I've used most of the brands out there.

O-H-

I currently have 240 pounds of Pitboss competition pellets, I imagine that stock of almost everything we take for granted everyday will be in peril soon.

I'm in central Ohio, I get the 40 pound Pitboss pellets from Menards, they serve me very very well and I've used most of the brands out there.

O-H-
I-O and cool I'm in c-bus so I'll check menards on those pitboss pellets as well. I just definitely want to find a good brand that's locally available so I can grab them when needed

I did a quick search and there is Rural King in Ohio. They used to sell lumber jack but now they only sell their brand. I've been very very happy with their brand. They sell for $7.99 for 20 lbs. I always try to stay around 50 cents a lb or less. I would recommend if one of them is close to you, check it out.

Rural King is local to me and is a good choice, but lately I’ve been ordering online from Bear Mountain when they have their BOGO half off plus free shipping. recteq is not a bad deal either if you order enough to get free shipping. I’ve never been disappointed with the quality of recteq pellets.

Trager is readily available for me as well at the local Ace, but they are overpriced and underperform IMHO.

I second this. I had borrowed a buddies traeger smoker before making the plunge on my recteq and used traeger pellets. They are twice the price of bear mountain for a 20lb bag and i can’t say if it was his smoker or the pellets or a combination of both but temp swings were a major issue. I’ve also read that traeger adds some oils to there pellets that are not so good but I can’t confirm or deny if that’s true. All I know is since I’ve got my 590 all I have used is BM and had no issues at half the cost of traeger.

O-H-
I-O and cool I'm in c-bus so I'll check menards on those pitboss pellets as well. I just definitely want to find a good brand that's locally available so I can grab them when needed
I did a quick search and there is Rural King in Ohio. They used to sell lumber jack but now they only sell their brand. I've been very very happy with their brand. They sell for $7.99 for 20 lbs. I always try to stay around 50 cents a lb or less. I would recommend if one of them is close to you, check it out.
Awesome yes we are frequent visitors of rural king and love it! Another member had posted that they no longer carry lumberjack and pellets which is disappointing. I did wonder I'd their brand was any good? So thanks

I see a few tractor supply stores in Columbus, the ones around here carry Pitboss For $10 a 20 lb bag. FWIW, many stores stop carrying cooking pellets thru the winter up here in the north. I’ve had no issues with Pitboss.

Had no problems with Cabela’s brand either.

Thanks! Yeah I've gathered some good info on here from all the member replies. Can't wait to just have a blast trying different things in the BFG

After emailing Lumber Jack customer service with a question on if they make Cabellas pellets they responded with a "yes" answer! So if you have a Bass Pro or Cabelas nearby it is an option!

I live in the Jacksonville, FL and its like a pellet desert here except for whatever Home Depot or Ace happen to sell, which is Traeger 9 out of 10 times.
So Ive been ordering Lumberjack off Amazon. Its my only source right now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyclorphan
Back