Finding pellet brands

Walmart will ship for free and they have a variety of pellets. I think the minimum is $50. Look on their website and search pellets

Rural King has pellets. Hit or miss on the brands. They now have their own

After emailing Lumber Jack customer service with a question on if they make Cabellas pellets they responded with a "yes" answer! So if you have a Bass Pro or Cabelas nearby it is an option
After emailing Lumber Jack customer service with a question on if they make Cabellas pellets they responded with a "yes" answer! So if you have a Bass Pro or Cabelas nearby it is an option!
Really?? Cabelas is made by lumberjack lol I've thought that the pellet industry is like most other consumer products and many brands are made by a few producer's if we knew the truth lol

Yes, I had a Rural King tell me that Lumberjack made their pellets. I called also, and that is 100% not true. Rural king pellets are not lumberjack.

I’m fortunate to live in Wisconsin where lumberjack pellets are made so quite a few places sell them including Walmart but their prices are high. Farm and fleet like mentioned usually run 7.99 a bag on sale. I did buy 20 bags from Menards when they discontinued the Kingsford brand, they were 3.99 a bag plus 11% rebate. I’m sure the chain sporting goods stores would carry them.

Yes, I had a Rural King tell me that Lumberjack made their pellets. I called also, and that is 100% not true. Rural king pellets are not lumberjack.
yes, this is correct. Rural King pellets are NOT made by LumberJack. But I've been super happy with them. I really like the southwest pellets. I've heard some complaints about them but I've been using for almost a year now and no complaints from me. Even before they stopped selling LumberJack at Rural King, I had already started to buy the Rural King brand b/c they were a $1 cheaper. The one downside with the Rural King brand is they don't sell a 100% cherry pellet but sell a 100% apple pellets. I prefer cherry over apple but if I want cherry smoke flavor, I just use cherry wood chips in my smoke tube.

My dad has also been using the Rural King brand the same amount of time I had and we've both been super happy.

I've pretty much only been using Lumberjack for the last two years. I stacked it deep when Dick's had some crazy sale. I need to resupply and it seems that they no longer carry LJ and the price has gone up a good bit. Is LJ still the way to go? I see Bear Mountain pops up now. Costco usually has the Trager pellets available.

Secondly, does anyone still make a 100% Apple like LJ used to? Everything now I see is Apple BLEND. I smoke a lot of fish and the 100% Apple goes awesome with it.

Secondly, does anyone still make a 100% Apple like LJ used to? Everything now I see is Apple BLEND. I smoke a lot of fish and the 100% Apple goes awesome with it.
I’ve never used it, but Bear Mountain has an Apple pellet. Don’t know if it’s 100% or not, so it might be worth a call. They are having a decent Black Friday sale as well.

Someone up above stated that Cabelas brand are made by LJ, don’t know if their brand isn100% though.

I must be in pellet purgatory, I went to my local Tractor Supply looking for Bear mountain today,which per thus thread is highly recommended, but zero! Said he could order but all they had wax some generic pellet fuel. Still looking!!

I must be in pellet purgatory, I went to my local Tractor Supply looking for Bear mountain today,which per thus thread is highly recommended, but zero! Said he could order but all they had wax some generic pellet fuel. Still looking!!
My experience here is that TSC and Rural King close out the food pellets in the fall to free up space for the fuel pellets. If I’m buying locally, I start looking for sales in September before they are gone.

I know there are detractors and don't really understand why, but really like the Pitboss pellets as I get them for a bit over $20 at Menards for a 40lb bag, I currently have 7 bags in my basement. ;)

Ive used Pittboss from Tractor Supply without issue, not discerning enough to be able to tell the difference between brands. I use what I can easily find.
My dog found pellets in the yard this morning, but I digress. I have used Pitboss without any issues except I am or don’t think I am a fan of their 100% Apple. I have used Bear Mountain and currently using smokehouse from Sams.

Tried the new RecTeq cherry last night for the turkey. Probably the first time ive ever been impressed with a pellet flavor. The color from the cherry pellets was very noticeable but the taste was the standout. The truly thigh almost took on a ham taste with the sweetness from the pellets. Highly recommend for those wanting that sweet cherry test while taking a break from the standard oak/hickory etc.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back