Suggestions for the best looking and tasting shark steaks needed.

chadinsc

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hey guys its been awhile since i posted, i have been busy but still show up nearly daily to read posts. Im going to be doing a youtube catch and cook video this weekend for a black tip shark. I already have the shark and i cleaned it within minutes of catching it and the meat smells excellent with no ammonia smell atall. My plan is to reverse sear it to around 100 then sear it on the grill grates to around 120-125. What seasoning or possibly even marinade or mops sauce (open to all suggestions here) would you guys and gals suggest for the best looking (because the viewer cant taste it) as well as tasting shark steak?

I had ammonia shark last time I tried it. Which ended any desire to try shark again.
1st thought would be blackened, everyone can taste that with their eyes - second is probably the way to go considering how you are planning to cook it, Sweet Chili Sauce/Sweet n Sour/Orange Sauce as a glaze. Again it is a flavor that everyone can imagine and possibly drool over.

The orange sweet and sour glaze is a great idea. Will be very fitting for a florida shark aslo with the orange. I found some recipes online just now to make that and it seems simple enough to put in a video. I want it simple enough for the average person to comfortable reproduce it. Thanks alot bud! More suggestions are definitely welcomed from others also. im all ears.

I've used a bourbon marinade on just about every type of seafood, including tuna and sea bass. It's equal parts of a good bourbon, soy sauce, dijon mustard, brown sugar, chopped green onions, and splashed of Woostersauce, salt and black pepper. If you wouldn't drink it, why use some other grade of bourbon/whiskey?

I've used a bourbon marinade on just about every type of seafood, including tuna and sea bass. It's equal parts of a good bourbon, soy sauce, dijon mustard, brown sugar, chopped green onions, and splashed of Woostersauce, salt and black pepper. If you wouldn't drink it, why use some other grade of bourbon/whiskey?

You had me at bourbon....

You might want to soak the meat in milk or buttermilk for 4-5 hours just to make sure to eliminate any off flavor. Then rinse in cold water.
Good call Cutplug
This is the Key
Soak the Fish overnight in Milk, inside a ZipLock Bag
Flip it in the AM
It'll be ready to Grill that afternoon / evening
The Milk leaches the Ammonia out of the Meat

1695486717137.png

I appreciate all the help guys. I didn’t soak this shark because it was cleaned within 3min of its heart stopping and the meat smells like absolutely nothing. im cooking as i type. doing reverse seared steak seasoned with meat church holly vodoo which has dehydrated jalapeño in it for a bit if heat and red color. Im also making the orange sweet and sour glaze. its looking good so far. will put a nice ribbed side sear kit sear on it in a bit.
IMG_9006.jpeg
IMG_9007.jpeg
IMG_9008.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back