Suggestions for Sideporch Kitchen)

JamesB

I’m getting ready to screen in the side porch on my house. It’s already roofed in, and has electricity available but no plumbing.

It measures approximately 12’ x 20’. I’m going to install an overhead fan to push out smoke. I have my Bull and a Weber kettle out there now (plus a ton of junk truth be told, that’s headed to Goodwill soon). But nothing else.

My “plan” thus far, if that’s not too grand a term, is to install shelving on the brick “back wall” for spices, rubs, etc., and pegged brackets for cooking tools, etc., plus a weatherproof bin for pellets and charcoal.

I would appreciate any thoughts on anything that folks would suggest is “essential” or that you wished you had thought of when creating something similar.

Thanks

I’m getting ready to screen in the side porch on my house. It’s already roofed in, and has electricity available but no plumbing.

It measures approximately 12’ x 20’. I’m going to install an overhead fan to push out smoke. I have my Bull and a Weber kettle out there now (plus a ton of junk truth be told, that’s headed to Goodwill soon). But nothing else.

My “plan” thus far, if that’s not too grand a term, is to install shelving on the brick “back wall” for spices, rubs, etc., and pegged brackets for cooking tools, etc., plus a weatherproof bin for pellets and charcoal.

I would appreciate any thoughts on anything that folks would suggest is “essential” or that you wished you had thought of when creating something similar.

Thanks
Some pictures of the space would be helpful.

Sounds like a great project and I wish you well. I would make sure you have ground interrupts wherever needed and a master kill switch that is easily accessible in case of vacations and other disruptive weather events. It is typically easier to reboot your electronics after a storm, than it is to find each potentially buried, power cord to unplug for protection. I also noted you have a fan. Remember they are typically bi-directional, one way for “cooling” and one for circulation. In addition, I feel positioning a fire extinguisher in a common, easy to reach area, won’t hurt at all and checking each cooking devices’ manual for proper clearances so you are not encroaching against any flammable items or strutcture. One last thing (sorry for the length of this response) if you are having wiring pulled you may want to consider adding a jack for Cat 6 wired access, it will come in handy if you need to add a wireless access point to extend your internet signal or use a “smart” TV in that area. You can look for a POE (power over ethernet) device so it won’t occupy an electrical outlet and the installation typically looks cleaner. Just some quick thoughts.
‘Zilla

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back