Stampede St. Louis Ribs Again !!

Maule Guy

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I was prompted to write on a recent cook and include pictures. Well I got 1/2 of it right.

Wife suggested that we hadn't had ribs in awhile and not being one to pass up an excuse to BBQ I picked up a package of Swift St. Louis ribs at Costco. Found a nice meaty packet and to the grill I went.

Rinsed off the ribs, noted the membrane had been removed, blotted them dry. Sprinkled on some Dixie Crystal flaked Kosher Salt and put them in the fridge uncovered for about 18 hrs. Pulled them out, spritzed them on both sides with water. Dusted them generously with MeatHead's Memphis Dust (https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/meatheads-memphis-dust-rub-recipe/ ).

While the dusting was taking place got the 590 fired up with a set temp of 225F using Cooking Pellets "Perfect Mix) and lit my 12" smoking tube with CP 100% Hickory pellets.

While getting the ribs ready to go on the 590 I realized each of the three racks looked to be about 18" long and 5" wide. I was a bit concerned about the racks being either too close together or coming too close to the edge of the grill surface. When I put them on I sort a scrunched them up lengthwise and put them on front to back and had plenty of room I also think this created a bit more uniform thickness due to the thinner areas compressing more than the thicker. ( I have no real evidence to support this supposition).

Put tube on left side of grate, put ribs on grate. Closed the cover and came back 5 hrs later. Not quite tender yet. Another hour and job was done.

Meat easily pulled off the bone with teeth and was moist.

Personally I prefer this cooking method to the much used 3-2-1 . The bark was good and the smoke ring went about 1/2 way through the meat.

Now by the time 6 hrs had passed my stomach overrode my memory that I should take photos.

OK, probably more than you really wanted to know.

I have ribs on my 700 right now! I never wrap them anymore. Just rub them up and toss them on at 245. I start checking for tenderness at five hours. Wife likes baby backs and they cook a little faster than spars so often they’re done at that point. Sometimes another hour. Yummy.

Memphis Dust (no salt version) is also my favorite for ribs and butts. Nekkid the whole way makes for ideal crusty texture. Ya done good boy!

Reactions: MWP
I do full spares similarly (I don't cut them down to St. Louis style...I like to pick at the rib tips or add them to beans later).

I'm not a huge fan of sauced ribs...dry rub with a pepper forward sauce served on the side to dip in if desired.

St. Louis always seems to have a lot of gristle to me. I like the standard back ribs better.

I’ve done St. Louis ribs the past 2 weekends. These were the first times I’ve ever attempted them. Dry rub only, no sauce. I’ve done 235 for about 3 hours, then raised to 275 for about 2 hours. I don’t wrap. I’ve been extremely happy. The 2nd batch was not as good a cut of meat, so they were a little too fatty, and my rub preparation needs a little work (too uneven), but the basic cooking method has been great.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
I smell smoke
Back