Smokia 3 Litre Magnum Smoke generator

Goofinoff

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
Wondering if this would be difficult to drill hole in the stainless steel 1250 or even advised too, and if anyone has used this is it a game changer

Wondering if this would be difficult to drill hole in the stainless steel 1250 or even advised too, and if anyone has used this is it a game changer
I did do it to my 700 and no, it's not difficult. Just buy a piloted, carbide tipped holesaw off of Amazon. I don't think I paid more than $20.00 for the one I bought.

Thank you for that info, are you happy with results you are getting form it
Yes, I am. If I had to do it all over again, I would have bough the larger Smoke Daddy Magnum smoke generator. It has more volume and can be loaded up with more chips, offering a longer smoke on a given charge. The Big Kahuna is fine. If I need to extend the smoke, I just throw some more chips in it, 3/4's of the way through the original charge.

The thing that I REALLY like about the Kahuna/(Magnum) is that you can run them completely independent from the grill. I can cold smoke (which I do to Ribs) (grill off) and you can run it in conjunction with the grill, in either "high smoke" or "regular smoke", depending on what you want to accomplish.

I looked at the Smoke Daddy "Heavy D" Stick Burning Heat Diffuser;

https://smokedaddyinc.com/product/the-heavy-d-stick-burning-heat-diffuser/

Initially, I thought it was very ingenious (and I suppose it still is). The more I thought about it though, the less I thought that it was right for me. To me, there are two issues;

1. You have to remove the grates and the drip pan every time you want to charge it, add charge, or subtract charge.

2. Number one above would be a real challenge when you have meat on the grill and the grill is at temperature. Do-able, but a PITA.

With the external Smoke Generator, I don't have those issues. The knob on the top cap gets hot and I have to use a glove or a towel to handle it. That's about the only issue though, pretty minor.

I just gave it it's first cleaning a couple of weeks ago. The smoke output was greatly reduced and I thought something was wrong with the air pump. Short story is that the air injection/venturi tube was all creosoted up. I unscrewed the tube, took a torch to it to burn up the creosote and threw it in the ultrasonic cleaner for an hour. Re-installed it and it works good as new.

Something else to consider is to just buy a cheap smoke tube, try it and see if it gives you the results that you're after. If not, then take the plunge with a smoke generator.

Last edited:
I Dont Know What Youre Talking About Go Big Or Go Home GIF by Aurora Consulting: Business, Insurance, Financing Experts

I have the magnum PIG installed on my Bull. Installation was easy. I put mine on the right hand side of the grill so the downside is you have to put the airflow on 50% or so b/c the smoke needs to mostly go to the other side and then back out the chimney. So I go through fuel every hour to 1 1/2 hours.

Before you do that though, if you are looking for more smoke flavor, I would suggest trying a smoke tube with wood chips mixed in. I have been doing that a lot more lately.

Yes, I am. If I had to do it all over again, I would have bough the larger Smoke Daddy Magnum smoke generator. It has more volume and can be loaded up with more chips, offering a longer smoke on a given charge. The Big Kahuna is fine. If I need to extend the smoke, I just throw some more chips in it, 3/4's of the way through the original charge.

The thing that I REALLY like about the Kahuna/(Magnum) is that you can run them completely independent from the grill. I can cold smoke (which I do to Ribs) (grill off) and you can run it in conjunction with the grill, in either "high smoke" or "regular smoke", depending on what you want to accomplish.

I looked at the Smoke Daddy "Heavy D" Stick Burning Heat Diffuser;

https://smokedaddyinc.com/product/the-heavy-d-stick-burning-heat-diffuser/

Initially, I thought it was very ingenious (and I suppose it still is). The more I thought about it though, the less I thought that it was right for me. To me, there are two issues;

1. You have to remove the grates and the drip pan every time you want to charge it, add charge, or subtract charge.

2. Number one above would be a real challenge when you have meat on the grill and the grill is at temperature. Do-able, but a PITA.

With the external Smoke Generator, I don't have those issues. The knob on the top cap gets hot and I have to use a glove or a towel to handle it. That's about the only issue though, pretty minor.

I just gave it it's first cleaning a couple of weeks ago. The smoke output was greatly reduced and I thought something was wrong with the air pump. Short story is that the air injection/venturi tube was all creosoted up. I unscrewed the tube, took a torch to it to burn up the creosote and threw it in the ultrasonic cleaner for an hour. Re-installed it and it works good as new.

Something else to consider is to just buy a cheap smoke tube, try it and see if it gives you the results that you're after. If not, then take the plunge with a smoke generator.
Everything was good until you got to "threw it in the ultrasonic cleaner for an hour". What other option is there, don't want to have to go out and buy one of those...

Everything was good until you got to "threw it in the ultrasonic cleaner for an hour". What other option is there, don't want to have to go out and buy one of those...
You’d be just fine with torching it. Maybe clean it up with a Scotchbrite pad. I only threw it in the ultrasonic cleaner because I already had it sitting on the shelf. 95 % of the cleaning was from the torch.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewDualfire1200
Back