Smoke Tube

Buckeye smoker

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Going to try this. I think it'll help with extra flavor. I'm used to a woodchip smoker so the extra smoke might make my cooking more to my reg style and flavors. Won't have to turn down the temp to extreme smoke, which will save a little time also etc,etc etc...
You can use pellets or wood chips in these, and also you could make a cold smoker out of your grill by just using this and not the grill heat.
$20 Amazon. They are stainless.
IMG_20190626_202605.jpg
IMG_20190626_202222.jpg

Just a suggestion guys. If you're successful with the results meeting expectations a thorough description of methodology and resultant flavor profile would be helpful. It seems many have tried this and report that they got little to nothing from it. But, taste/flavor is a subjective thing so knowing the perameters might help/explain. Thanks.

I picked up the same product. Going to toss on a chuck roast in about 30 minutes with the tube filled with apple. It's supposed to burn for approx. 4 hours (filled). I'll report back my findings later tonight. Doing another batch of "poor mans" burnt ends btw.

@dsandersus Im interested to hear how well these things work. I almost bought one then figured let me just wait to see how the Bull performs before I go thinking I may need something more.

Just went through the setup and ignition process of the tube.. Straight forward, fill tube, light pellets, let pellets burn for 10 minutes, extinguish flame. 1st impression / observation, the tube doesn't seem to produce that much smoke, but maybe over the course of 4 hours it will be noticeable.

Meat is on and cookin.. I'll circle back in a few hours.

@Buckeye smoker apologies for hijacking your thread brother.

I dont know if he thinks of it like that but I dont....You are providing information on the same topic he is and it will be great to hear 2 different perspectives on the item. I am appreciating both of you for the information which will help me decide to spend money or not to and I am sure there are alot of others that are watching this as well. So thank you @dsandersus and @Buckeye smoker .

Just went through the setup and ignition process of the tube.. Straight forward, fill tube, light pellets, let pellets burn for 10 minutes, extinguish flame. 1st impression / observation, the tube doesn't seem to produce that much smoke, but maybe over the course of 4 hours it will be noticeable.

All's good...I enjoy everyone's opinions and experiences on here, as soon as I use mine I'll get back to you all on my Impressions of it.

Ok @dsandersus , so I didn't cook anything yet, but I also ignited mine and did a burn with it, infact, it's still out there... But here's what mine looked like (in a old grill) after blowing the flame out, then awhile after and awhile after...I thought it was smoking pretty good for being "add-on smoke".
What brand pellets are you using?... Mine happen to be (this time) Camp Chef all wood apple. The pellet type can make a difference for sure. Also after I cook something using it, I'm going to try half pellet and half chips, then I'll try all chips vs pellets.... I think there's alot of possibilities here with these tubes. Was yours smoking less than mine??
View attachment 645

Sorry second video is too big, but the same amount of smoke with the tube laid horizontal.

Pulled the smoke tube off a couple minutes ago. Was still smoldering, so just tad over 6 hours of smokin. Wrapped the chuck a little early hit 154 deg. Bumping up the temp to 300 and I'll pull and cube it at 190ish. Then back in with sauce for another hour or two at 260. Maybe I'll get to bed before midnight. :p

Pulled the smoke tube off a couple minutes ago. Was still smoldering, so just tad over 6 hours of smokin. Wrapped the chuck a little early hit 154 deg. Bumping up the temp to 300 and I'll pull and cube it at 190ish. Then back in with sauce for another hour or two at 260. Maybe I'll get to bed before midnight. :p
Nice, I also left mine out there to see the time length and I had the same results hot to touch and still smoldering at 6hrs.

@NU2SMOKE Yes, we did notice a difference in overall smoke flavor versus the 1st time I did the burnt ends. It wasn't drastic by any means, but enough to make me want to continue to experiment with it and with different pellet flavors.

In my hopper, I'm using a smokehouse blend from Sam's Club, which my understanding gives you a very mild smoke profile versus all hickory or mesquite, etc. My next experiment is to cook a pshoulder with 100% hickory and compare that to the pshoulder I did with the smokehouse blend.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineGriller
Back