Smoke Tube

Thanks Dave, interesting stuff. Recognizing that this view is subjective, I recently put a load of the Smokehouse blend in my hopper. Prior to that I'd been using the Cookinpellets Perfect Mix that RT supplied with the initial purchase. To my nose the Smokehouse pellets were a bit more hickory smelling than the Cookinpellets, which leaned a bit more fruity. The Cookinpellets were good to my taste on the meats, especially pork. The Smokehouse I've only done with ribeye, but have to say, I think I taste the perceived hickory bias on the beef and like it a tad better. Again, perception, but hey...…………......that ends up my reality.

That lends itself to a great question....what pellets is mostly being used? I am sure everybody started out using what rectec gives you but I have heard a rew names tossed around as to what people are using.

@Uncle Bob You're most welcome.

@NU2SMOKE So... depending on the forum that can turn into a heated debate. "which brand is best", etc. etc. I've seen, not used, LumberJack, Traeger, PitBoss, Cooking Pellets, Rec Tec, Green Mountain. I've used SmokeHouse from Sam's Club, and that's it so far. I've ordered some Cooking Pellets and plan to get a bag of PitBoss this weekend.

On a side note: I've read that you want to stay away from pellets that use chemical binders and / or fillers.

@Uncle Bob You're most welcome.

@NU2SMOKE So... depending on the forum that can turn into a heated debate. "which brand is best", etc. etc. I've seen, not used, LumberJack, Traeger, PitBoss, Cooking Pellets, Rec Tec, Green Mountain. I've used SmokeHouse from Sam's Club, and that's it so far. I've ordered some Cooking Pellets and plan to get a bag of PitBoss this weekend.

On a side note: I've read that you want to stay away from pellets that use chemical binders and / or fillers.
Of the ones you have used which did you feel you preferred?

@NU2SMOKE The only brand I've used so far are the SmokeHouse from Sam's Club so I don't have anything to compare.. Yet. I'm going to get a bag or two of PitBoss this weekend, I believe Lowes sells them and give those a go. I placed an order for CookingPellets yesterday, so once those come in I'll let you know what I think.

I'd like to try LumberJack Charcoal Blend but can't seem to find anyone that sells them in Las Vegas. Dick's had at one time but I don't believe they do anymore.

Here's another short video of smoke rolling at 225° With the smoke tube. Also @dsandersus point that pellets make a difference... just reading on the difference between all the 100% wood vs additive brands will make your head spin. I also agree it's all subjective and personal opinion based, so go with what you like. Having said that, I'll stick with brands that are 100% all core wood (not bark)...may pay more but jmo, burns better and less "junk".... I'd be interest as well in who's using what as far as the 100% brands... Apple seems to be my preferred choice lately... Just my2¢
View attachment 655

Here's another short video of smoke rolling at 225° With the smoke tube. Also @dsandersus point that pellets make a difference... just reading on the difference between all the 100% wood vs additive brands will make your head spin. I also agree it's all subjective and personal opinion based, so go with what you like. Having said that, I'll stick with brands that are 100% all core wood (not bark)...may pay more but jmo, burns better and less "junk".... I'd be interest as well in who's using what as far as the 100% brands... Apple seems to be my preferred choice lately... Just my2¢
View attachment 655
I think I did actually see some smoke coming out of the EVERYWHERE...LOL

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rmiz64
Back