Bull Smoke Leak on New Grill

Titan23

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-680
Hello All--

New 700 owner here. Done about 6 cooks on the 700 since I got it a little less than a month ago. Pretty satisfied, except that I am noticing some pretty dense grease collecting on the outside of the smoker for just having done 6 cooks. Upon further investigation, it appears that the hood does not sit exactly flush with the rest of the grill on the right side. I am able to see the internal light of the grill shine through the crack on the right side of the grill (the side where the grease is collecting), but not on the left side of the grill (which is clean from grease). I've attached a few photos to show what I mean. My question is, is this meaningful enough to try to get Rec Teq to address? On one hand it doesn't feel like a big deal, but on the other, I just spent $1,200 on a new grill so I would hope that the product would be perfect.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Grease Collecting.jpg

Left Side (No Hood Gap).jpg

Right Side (Hood Gap).jpg

You should call Customer Service. The lid is either not curved correctly to fit or perhaps is not connected correctly at the hinge. The lids are usually not tight fits and some leakage of smoke occurs, esp. at start-up, but not to the degree you are showing. They will know what to do for you. Probably a new lid? Let us know.

I had a little bit of smoke leakage on my 700, but not as bad a fit as yours seems to be showing. I bought a fireproof smoker gasket tape and that pretty much fixed it. Look around on several websites including amazon for best price.
Good luck

I had a little bit of smoke leakage on my 700, but not as bad a fit as yours seems to be showing. I bought a fireproof smoker gasket tape and that pretty much fixed it. Look around on several websites including amazon for best price.
Good luck
This is what I used, works fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DMFP1TO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I still get a small amount of leakage and staining on the exterior, but not a big deal. I found the biggest benefit is that the tape/gasket helps to silence the lid when it closes. Now, it's more of a mild "thump" as opposed to "clang/bang" when I close it.

The lid on my 340 isn't a tight fit, more bow to the lid then the opening, and let's some smoke escape here there. The smoker still works works fine. I had put a gasket on that helps some but still leaks. I haven't thought about it for quite a while.

If @Titan23 really has a 680, good luck with warranty :ROFLMAO:

Meanwhile, have you sent those pics to RT CS yet? RTgoes out of their way to advise users not to gasket the lids. Many folks gasket anyhow, but I would for sure talk to them. You might get a nice new lid!

Meanwhile, have you sent those pics to RT CS yet? RTgoes out of their way to advise users not to gasket the lids. Many folks gasket anyhow, but I would for sure talk to them. You might get a nice new lid!

I did the gasket thing and it works as advertised, also adjusted the hinges which really fixed most of my lid gaps. :) RT also advises to fire up the grill with lid closed, and still has pellets feed into the firepot after the cool down sequence. :rolleyes:

Just got off the phone with them. I was told that the grills are designed to have some degree of airflow between the lid and the grill--I think that's true, but just not to the degree I am experiencing, but he wouldn't budge on that point. I am going to tinker with the hinges and gasket the lid. The grease has been running down the side of the grill and puddling on the patio, so they offered to send me a grill mat free of charge, which I can't hate on them for. Hopefully the gasket solves this issue. Thank you everyone for your feedback.

Just got off the phone with them. I was told that the grills are designed to have some degree of airflow between the lid and the grill--I think that's true, but just not to the degree I am experiencing, but he wouldn't budge on that point. I am going to tinker with the hinges and gasket the lid. The grease has been running down the side of the grill and puddling on the patio, so they offered to send me a grill mat free of charge, which I can't hate on them for. Hopefully the gasket solves this issue. Thank you everyone for your feedback.
I suppose one thing to look out for is that given enough time/cooks, the gasketing will probably become saturated with fat/creosote and will eventually leak down the front, just like when there was no gasket there.

I don't remember where I saw it, but there are other grill manufacturers/aftermarket parts manufacturers that make and sell stainless drip shields/deflectors that mount inside of the lid, down close to the grates. They "redirect" the goo over the stainless piece and onto the the grill's drip pan. That, so that the goo doesn't continue to run down the front/outside of the grill. It would seem that it should be a simple add on at the time of the original manufaturing of the grill.

RT tech support are mostly idiots IMHO, I'm a biomedical engineering technician for a living and work on medical equipment, all I can say is that common sense and critical thinking goes a long way. ;)

Common sense is when everyone is equally stupid. But I always have said: "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers."

RT tech support are mostly idiots IMHO, I'm a biomedical engineering technician for a living and work on medical equipment, all I can say is that common sense and critical thinking goes a long way. ;)
I have had nothing but great experiences with Tech Support!!! IMHO calling them idiots is a great disservice to them and to you!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back