Shutting down the smoker

BadgerFan

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Is there anything people do when they turn off the smoker? I've always just hit the power switch on the smoker, or, shut it down on the phone app. I thought I've read that you should do something else prior to just shutting it off, but of course, I could be wrong too.

I just turn it off like you do. I don’t recall ever reading that there is other steps required. After two years with my 700 I have had no problems. Curious to hear from the other folks about this.

I always try to remember to turn the grills temperature down to the lowest temp setting before I shut off the grill for a couple of reasons, to let the grill somewhat cool off and to not to have to turn it down on the next cook when starting it up. If I find the next time I start the grill the grill this didn't happen there was way too many beers or cocktails involved in the last shut down procedure. 🍻

Last edited:
Sometimes when I shut it down @ 500* it'll have an afterfire I guess because the firebox is still hot enough to ignite the pellets deposited in the shutdown process. I just leave it outside until all the smoke is gone, then roll it in the garage. Won't be long until I can move it around to the patio.

Open the lid, turn it off, try to remember to close the lid once cooled.

The grill does it’s own thing when you turn it off. The fan will remain on and the auger stops feeding pellets. The fan will help burn off any remaining pellets in the fire pot.

The grill does it’s own thing when you turn it off. The fan will remain on and the auger stops feeding pellets. The fan will help burn off any remaining pellets in the fire pot.
Actually, I believe pellets are fed at the end of cycle to aid in the re-start process.

I always turn temperature down to 225 before shutting down. If you are cooking at higher temps, say 400, then just shut it down, then it may cause other problems. II have seen it discussed in other groups.

I agree with Cajun. Turn the Smoker down to low for a CPL minutes before shutting off..(if you've just done a high heat cook.) It'll keep the chances for a smoldering burn pot from happening.

Is there anything people do when they turn off the smoker? I've always just hit the power switch on the smoker, or, shut it down on the phone app. I thought I've read that you should do something else prior to just shutting it off, but of course, I could be wrong too.
I pour myself a fresh drink, then push the button.
Cheers!
Patrick Stewart Cheers GIF by Blunt Talk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back