Smoke from hopper when shutting down

My consumption calculation was spot on for the 8 hour cook I was performing. If you fill the hopper for a low and slow I would be willing to bet you get the RT advertised 40 hours with the Costco pellets (YMMV).
@SmokeZilla - your consumption calculation... is the calculation done in red solo cups?
You like to keep your hopper empty-ish? Why? Swapping flavors? Pellet Humidity?

I just eyeball it. I‘ve had the Bull long enough to approximate the amount of pellets per cook. I’m also in SoCal so the humidity isn’t a factor. I do however change pellets often depending on what I am cooking. I probably do 5-7 change outs a month so it is easier to load what I need instead of scooping out the remnants because I overfilled the hopper. I typically use oak or hickory for brisket, beef ribs and chili. Pecan, cherry, apple or almond is used for pork. Mesquite for rabbit, squirrel, javelina, and wild game (it reminds me of living in AZ). Shark, ahi, mahi and thicker fish steaks get RT competition blend or similar. I use cherry or apple mixed with hickory for salmon filets (full size ~7 lbs), and experiment with different blends for chicken, oysters, clams, shrimp, mussels and other proteins non-descript proteins. I also experiment with different branded pellets when I have time, whatever that means.

Mesquite for rabbit, squirrel, javelina, and wild game...
You got an exceptional butcher? Before I ever knew what I was doing as far as smoking/grilling; I used to shop at a farmer's market in the french/cajun quarter of St.Louis. There was squirrel, possum, etc in the refrigerated display case. The fur was left on their paws to help differentiate what was what, because at similar weights, skinned and cleaned, they kind of look the same. If I was still down there, I'd have to for sure try it at least once.

You got an exceptional butcher? Before I ever knew what I was doing as far as smoking/grilling; I used to shop at a farmer's market in the french/cajun quarter of St.Louis. There was squirrel, possum, etc in the refrigerated display case. The fur was left on their paws to help differentiate what was what, because at similar weights, skinned and cleaned, they kind of look the same. If I was still down there, I'd have to for sure try it at least once.
Smoke…

I know that area well. I was corporate at McDonnell-Douglas in my past lifetime. You can find everything you could want to eat (hunted or purchased) in your state. I can’t say I miss the weather but I sure do miss the people.

Smoke…

I know that area well. I was corporate at McDonnell-Douglas in my past lifetime. You can find everything you could want to eat (hunted or purchased) in your state. I can’t say I miss the weather but I sure do miss the people.
I may have worked next door to you then... Mallinckrodt. (pre Y2K)

Yep. You guys were actually on McDonnell Blvd ironically enough. Weren’t you guys UK owned? If it is the company I was thinking of, they just had a huge settlement on the opioid problem.

I had eliminated poor shutdowns with the 590 by turning temp down to 220--250 after a high temp cook and letting it drift down to 250 or so before hitting off button. It worked fine. I asked RT tech a few days ago if I needed to do that to avoid auger fire or smoldering backburn. I had noticed the problem following high temp cooks. He said "No" just hit the off button. Well I did that twice since and had smoldering back burn both times. Tonight it occurred after a 350* cook for one hour. Go figure. So I cleaned it out and primed the pot with some pellets for a normal start. Cranked it up to 410* (why 410? who knows?) for 35-40 minutes to simulate a hot cook. Then turned it down to 210* (arbitrary) and when it dipped down below 250* I hit the Off button. Bingo, no back burn. I think the RT service guys always answer in defense of the units even tho they probably have heard the same complaints before. My conclusion, I will always turn down the temp from cooks over 300 now and let 1070 cool down to 250 while I eat my meal before shutting it down. If that works consistently or most of the time, I can handle that. Otherwise "Hawg" works like a jewel and made good chicken wings tonight before he misbehaved.
I agree with RT trying to defend their product. I would expect nothing less. I have had this issue once. I researched it on this forum to see if others have had the same issue. I did what everyone else is doing by backing down the temp and I haven’t had the problem again. This is a good forum to run things by others and I think, collectively, we are smarter than the underpaid customer service people we talk to. That’s my opinion and 2 cents.

Okay, air you say?
Let there be air:
20220825_112824.jpg

EDIT:
So far, 3 shutdown sequences from 350 degrees without hopper smoke. This may just work 😁

Last edited:
Been thinking (dangerous) that the RT tech says that the burnbacks happen when there is some obstruction to regular exhaust, like dirty vents etc.. Well I had it happen twice in the past week after hot cooks, and there was not obstruction to air flow. But if there is less back pressure in the auger, then perhaps sealing the lid of the hopper should reduce the back flow. So I have done so with some felt seal that is used for grill lids. I will still do the slow shutdown as before from hot cooks and see if this reduces the burn back events. Cant see any down side to this. Gotta be careful opening and closing.
IMG_1709.jpeg
IMG_1707.jpeg

Pretty consistently I see white smoke coming from my hopper when shutting the grill down. Anyone else seeing this with the 1070? This is with Costco pellets, wondering if that might be a problem?
You should not be seeing white smoke in the hopper. That would be a dangerous thing. This is a matter of airflow and the path of least resistance. The shutdown cycle should be advancing the auger after the 300 second shutdown. This is not to get ready for the next cook but to advance the auger a bit to push out any smoldering pellets at the end of the auger chute, so they don't burn back to the hopper. Check your vents for clogs. Check your hopper lid for good seal. Run the grill temp down on low for a bit prior to shut down. You can also shutdown with the lid open if there is an airflow issue with the hopper letting in more air than the vents. A full hopper will also help. I have had to run the shutdown cycle twice on rare occasions to prevent hopper smoke mainly during high wind conditions or from shutting down too hot.

You should not be seeing white smoke in the hopper. That would be a dangerous thing. This is a matter of airflow and the path of least resistance. The shutdown cycle should be advancing the auger after the 300 second shutdown. This is not to get ready for the next cook but to advance the auger a bit to push out any smoldering pellets at the end of the auger chute, so they don't burn back to the hopper. Check your vents for clogs. Check your hopper lid for good seal. Run the grill temp down on low for a bit prior to shut down. You can also shutdown with the lid open if there is an airflow issue with the hopper letting in more air than the vents. A full hopper will also help. I have had to run the shutdown cycle twice on rare occasions to prevent hopper smoke mainly during high wind conditions or from shutting down too hot.
All good points. I have a question: If the hopper lid is sealed against draft, then there can be no progressive auger burn and smoke cannot enter the hopper since there is no air flow in that direction. Would most of us agree to that? On the 1070 the hopper lid just lays on the edges of the hopper and makes no real seal. I'm sure back draft can occur, especially on windy days. On my old 590, the lid was held firmly by a snug fastener so that very little space was left to leak, I did not have smoke ever come thru. Also the auger tube was much longer which probably helped insulate the hopper from blow back. So--- in my previous note today, I showed a nice seal around the hopper top where it lays on the hopper edges. I just happened to have the typical 1/8" Lava Lock from another time, so I used it. I just finished a 500* 30 minute burn and made efforts to open and close the lid to mimic a steak cook. Then turned the temp down to 250* and let it get down there and be stable for 10 minutes. Then hit the off button. Results: perfect shutdown with no smoke in hopper or any smoke after it turned off. I know this is a one timer, so I will repeat a couple of more times. Can't imagine any warnings from RT with this mod, as it does not impair proper exit of exhaust from main smoker area. Let me be the guinea pig on this, till we have more favorable shutdowns. I will keep track and report back and you can all decide if it is worth the trouble on the 1070 (or perhaps even the 700 if needed since they both have similar hoppers with short auger tubes).I would appreciate comments Pro or Con.

Some great points!

I'm trying to wrap my head around the grill shutdown process. trying to extinguish a fire by feeding fuel to the fire for 30 seconds and air for 5 minutes 🤔

All good points. I have a question: If the hopper lid is sealed against draft, then there can be no progressive auger burn and smoke cannot enter the hopper since there is no air flow in that direction. Would most of us agree to that? On the 1070 the hopper lid just lays on the edges of the hopper and makes no real seal. I'm sure back draft can occur, especially on windy days. On my old 590, the lid was held firmly by a snug fastener so that very little space was left to leak, I did not have smoke ever come thru. Also the auger tube was much longer which probably helped insulate the hopper from blow back. So--- in my previous note today, I showed a nice seal around the hopper top where it lays on the hopper edges. I just happened to have the typical 1/8" Lava Lock from another time, so I used it. I just finished a 500* 30 minute burn and made efforts to open and close the lid to mimic a steak cook. Then turned the temp down to 250* and let it get down there and be stable for 10 minutes. Then hit the off button. Results: perfect shutdown with no smoke in hopper or any smoke after it turned off. I know this is a one timer, so I will repeat a couple of more times. Can't imagine any warnings from RT with this mod, as it does not impair proper exit of exhaust from main smoker area. Let me be the guinea pig on this, till we have more favorable shutdowns. I will keep track and report back and you can all decide if it is worth the trouble on the 1070 (or perhaps even the 700 if needed since they both have similar hoppers with short auger tubes).I would appreciate comments Pro or Con.

Just completed test #2. Another 500* test with multiple opening and closing while at 500*. Then set at 250* and then shutoff again. 4 mph breeze. Perfect shutdown. No smoke from hopper during or after shutdown. Will do this again with a hot cook tomorrow (or simulate it again). Stay tuned.
Could it turn out to be this simple? I hope so.

Last edited:
While happy to prevent this problem by sealing the hopper lid (if valid), I still think that having two holes in the fire pot straight across from the auger tube may be helping to initiate the lighting of auger pellets. Have had no response from RT on this.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back