Bull Short Ribs - 10 hours

rgreenberg2000

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I had yesterday off, and spied some chuck short ribs at costco on Monday, so..... :) I got the two, 4-bone slabs trimmed up in the am with a different rub on each (Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express on one, and DP Raising the Steaks on the other), then onto the 700 at 230F. Based on previous experience, I was expecting about an 8 hour cook or so, and built in some extra time in case they were slow. Well, they were cruising around 180F after 4 hours, so I bumped the pit down to 205F to slow them down, then eventually back up to 275F when I needed them to finish up by 6pm (smaller rack came off then, the larger one needed another hour.) I wrapped them in pink paper at about 175F. Holy cow were these good! Tender, beefy, great bark, did I mention tender and beefy?? I very much hope that Costco keeps carrying these.....the price/performance ratio is excellent!

IMG_7336.jpeg

IMG_7338.jpeg

IMG_7340.jpeg

How much were they at Costco? I did my first rack on my 590 Last night. I threw them on @ 275 beginning @ 9:30 AM. They were done around 5:30. I didn't wrap and just used salt & pepper. I forgot about the stall and lowered the temp to 225 after about 3 hours thinking they were going to be done too soon. (rookie mistake). They hung around 185 for a few hours. I raised the temp back to 250 after about 4 hours. I think I pulled them off around 202. I then wrapped in foil and let it sit in the cooler for about 45 minutes. I mostly poked the meat to check on tenderness and tried not to use temperature as a true gauge. My rack had 3 bones and the local butcher sold them for $32. At ate by myself cause my wife was working out. My 12 year old son had maybe two slices and later on my wife had some. They were tender, juice and had decent flavor. I wasn't blow away. For the amount of money and time for this piece I meat, I prefer pork ribs.
My wife was cutting her bit off the meat and said, "Where is the rest of the meat". I said, "That's it" She was a little annoyed that for $32 and smoking all day you get maybe 3 adult servings.
BBQ isn't cheap. Still cheaper than going out to eat though.
PXL_20201104_211218796.jpg
PXL_20201104_230324523.jpg

Your ribs look great, Kev! Sorry about the "where's the beef?" moment with your wife! ;)

If my feeble brain is working, these were about $6/lb, and the 2-rack package was right about 10 lbs. I find these things to be VERY rich. 1 rib is good, 2 ribs is a bit past good......though SO tasty! ;)

R

Looks absolutely phenomenal. I've been hoodwinked before as well turning the temp down, LOL. I've never tried wrapping beef ribs yet but will have to next smoke.
Great cut and great result. Thanks for sharing!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back