Stampede Sealing the RT-590 Lid

I called customer service before buying a 590 and they were adamant about NOT sealing it. Not sure whether to believe them or the folks on here.
It’s possible that they are adamant about not sealing it because for them to suggest otherwise raises the question “Why don’t they come sealed, like almost every other premium pellet grill on the market?” As @Mastertech59 says, sealing the lid is optional. However, there is no evidence to suggest sealing it could be a problem, like some folks at recteq suggest. I love my recteqs, but I also recognize that some of their employees, especially 1-2 that record their videos, are masters at the art of BS.

I like the fireblack the best. The Gray just turned black anyways.

Attachments

• 8622C47D-CDE8-4007-AAAA-E786A8F6DB61.jpeg
    8622C47D-CDE8-4007-AAAA-E786A8F6DB61.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 90
  • D3A701A4-026A-4983-AAB4-15605035523C.jpeg
    D3A701A4-026A-4983-AAB4-15605035523C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 93
  • FBFC67E8-BE4C-4365-8A5B-AEF064CB641C.jpeg
    FBFC67E8-BE4C-4365-8A5B-AEF064CB641C.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 94
Sealed my 590. No difference in performance except cleaner outer shell around the lid. The seal has worked well for almost a year now. It does look like a thick piece of soot however, ??? I notice the RT folks don't waste much time cleaning their demo pits.
Was your lid formed good to the smoker? Bought a second hand 590 and trying to seal the lid. Not much luck as the bends aren’t excatly 45s. Original owner didn’t seal it and took me forever to clean it up. Was hoping to keep it clean for years to come. Afraid to try and bend it as it might mess up the paint.

IMG_1247.jpeg

Was your lid formed good to the smoker? Bought a second hand 590 and trying to seal the lid. Not much luck as the bends aren’t excatly 45s. Original owner didn’t seal it and took me forever to clean it up. Was hoping to keep it clean for years to come. Afraid to try and bend it as it might mess up the paint.

View attachment 20781
I don't know if this will help, but my lid had gaps when closed right out of the box, but after loosening the hinge fasteners, I was able to adjust it, eliminating the gap, then tightened the fasteners.

It’s possible that they are adamant about not sealing it because for them to suggest otherwise raises the question “Why don’t they come sealed, like almost every other premium pellet grill on the market?” As @Mastertech59 says, sealing the lid is optional. However, there is no evidence to suggest sealing it could be a problem, like some folks at recteq suggest. I love my recteqs, but I also recognize that some of their employees, especially 1-2 that record their videos, are masters at the art of BS.
Just contacted them about a new lid cause mine is not bent properly from factory. My problem is I bought it second hand. I mentioned trying to seal the lid tk them and they said no don’t. I kept the gasket is causing it to not seal. I clearly used and angle finder and it’s not a 45 degree angle on the top bend. He said either way don’t seal it. Needs to vent. Why vent from the front and the back. What’s the reason. Seems like it should vent properly from the “VENTs”

Believe it or not thats always been the party line, it’s designed to work without a seal, which is why there isn’t one from the factory.

Last edited:
I don't know if this will help, but my lid had gaps when closed right out of the box, but after loosening the hinge fasteners, I was able to adjust it, eliminating the gap, then tightened the fasteners.
I did try that. Didn’t work. It’s actually not bent properly. Putting a miter gauge on it the bottom is true 45 degree and the top is less. More like 38-42. Causing the top to travel downward to the top of the grill when flat on the bottom. Oh well I’ll gasket both the lid and the barrel side by side to make a seal.

I did try that. Didn’t work. It’s actually not bent properly. Putting a miter gauge on it the bottom is true 45 degree and the top is less. More like 38-42. Causing the top to travel downward to the top of the grill when flat on the bottom. Oh well I’ll gasket both the lid and the barrel side by side to make a seal.
Clamp a piece of 1x3 across the top and bottom just before the 1st bend. Press downward using both hands and the lid will easily bend, just do a little at time while checking the angle until it matches the cookbox, it doesn't look like it needs much.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back