RT-1250 Sealing lid

Rob5909

Can anybody give advice on sealing the lid of the 1250 with a neoprene gasket? I noticed that a lot of smoke permeates it when you cook low and slow. And are there any drawbacks to using an adhesive gasket?

Can anybody give advice on sealing the lid of the 1250 with a neoprene gasket? I noticed that a lot of smoke permeates it when you cook low and slow. And are there any drawbacks to using an adhesive gasket?
I use Nomex tape

x2 (or probably x500) for Lavalock. I think I'm going to go back and do the pellet hopper lid now as when the grill was in the pouring rain, I noticed that the cold lid pushed the smoke out places I hadn't seen before i.e. from the hopper. The grill lid seal worked great though.

Just sealed mine tonight with Lavalock. Will let you know what I think once I get a couple of cooks in. Right now smoking wings, and no noticeable leaks.

Here are a couple pics. Word of caution - don't stretch or pull when applying the seal as it will shrink and you'll have gaps. I have a couple small ones, but last nights cook was noticeably better in terms of lid leaks.

1641653394189.png

1641653431870.png

Last edited:
I used the lava lock that everyone is referring to. Installed it day 1 after the burn in. The only negative I’ve noticed is that when running the grill at max temp for searing, the adhesive melts and the gasket slides. I’ve since purchased a gas grill for searing. Now my Bull doesn’t see much above 350F.

Last edited:
I sealed mine with nomex and it works great. It’s a little quieter and no more smoke stains to clean up on the outside. I think it cooks exactly the same. It might save a little on pellets idk.

Was looking at purchasing the 1250.

Don’t understand why the Flagship product requires a work around like this.

Do most premium American made products have this kind of problem as the smoke flavor is what most buyers are looking for?

I have done 2 smokers and would do it to every smoker I own. No negative effects all positive

Was looking at purchasing the 1250.

Don’t understand why the Flagship product requires a work around like this.

Do most premium American made products have this kind of problem as the smoke flavor is what most buyers are looking for?
I missed it, what's the problem?

Why the need to seal a lid on a $1800 premium grill/product

Seems it should be standard on a flagship product
@rpc
Recteq does not recommend sealing the lid. That's why I was confused by your post.

My apologies.

I have seen many posts from experienced folks on forums that lack of smoke flavor was an issue with pellet grills and one of the reasons was smoke dissipation through the lid.

If true I would assume that manufacturers would try to alleviate the issue.

My apologies.

I have seen many posts from experienced folks on forums that lack of smoke flavor was an issue with pellet grills and one of the reasons was smoke dissipation through the lid.

Just speaking for myself I sealed mine to keep stains off but you will still get a bit on the lower unless you have the 1250 with the drip shield that was developed here and Recteq borrowed from this site.

I would have never done for more smoke flavor. If smoke is coming out I imagine there is smoke inside :unsure:.

But I can see where others would do for that reason.

My apologies.

As mentioned, I sealed to keep the grill clean.

Yeah, don't confuse function over some of us that are lazy (well at least I am) and found that sealing the grill lid saves a ton on cleanup if you're interested in maintaining a clean exterior. Does it matter for cooking? Probably not. These things just work. This is sort of "gold plating" on a perfectly good appliance. I do like that the smoke after sealing, only comes out one place...the smokestack.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back