Bull Questions before sealing lid on 700

Biggs300

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I know this subject has been beat to death, but my 700 will be delivered today and have a few of specific question before I seal the lid.
1. Will sealing the lid affect the grill's ability to maintain lower temps or reach and maintain temps over 450 degrees for what little searing I will do? If not, will feed rate or other adjustments need to be made?
2. I plan to do some cold smoking (mainly cheese) and wonder whether the grill have enough air to keep a smoke tube smoldering.
3. Should I put a gasket around the smoke stack as well?
4. Finally, I have LavaLock gasket material in both 1/2" x 1/8" and 1" x 1/4". Will either work, or is one size better than the other?

Again, sorry for beating the dead horse, but I've read most all the threads on the subject and although some my questions have been addressed, there were varying answers.....and may be here as well. My objectives are to keep as much smoke in the chamber for as long as possible and to keep the outside of chamber cleaner after longer cooks. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Last edited:
I know this subject has been beat to death, but my 700 will be delivered today and have a few of specific question before I seal the lid.
1. Will sealing the lid affect the grill's ability to maintain lower temps or reach and maintain temps over 450 degrees for what little searing I will do? If not, will feed rate or other adjustments need to be made?
2. I plan to do some cold smoking (mainly cheese) and wonder whether the grill have enough air to keep a smoke tube smoldering.
4. Finally, I LavaLock gasket material in both 1/2" x 1/8" and 1" x 1/4". Will either work, or is one size better than the other?

Again, sorry for beating the dead horse, but I've read most all the threads on the subject and although some my questions have addressed, there were varying answers.....and may be here as well. My objectives are to keep as much smoke in the chamber for as long as possible and to keep the outside of chamber cleaner after longer cooks. Thanks in advance for your responses.
I put my seal on all sides of lid. The top piece fell off so I ended up putting a strip on the top of barrel.
Cold smoker works well & the exhaust from grill provides a good smoke. After using the cold smoker for the last couple months, I don't think it's worth the money. I had some people over, smoked a cple types of cheeses & few liked the smoked cheese. I ended up eating it myself.

4. Finally, I LavaLock gasket material in both 1/2" x 1/8" and 1" x 1/4". Will either work, or is one size better than the other?
1. It will have no affect on your grill‘s ability to do that, and no adjustment will be needed.

2. Yes, air will still get in, from the stack, the grease vent, through the fire box even if the fan is not running, etc.

3. I have the smoke box on mine, and I sealed the connection between the grill and the smoke box, but not where the smoke stack attaches to the box.

4. I used the 1/2 x 1/8 on both my RT-700 and on the wife’s RT-340.

Congrats on the new grill!

4. Finally, I have LavaLock gasket material in both 1/2" x 1/8" and 1" x 1/4". Will either work, or is one size better than the other?

Again, sorry for beating the dead horse, but I've read most all the threads on the subject and although some my questions have been addressed, there were varying answers.....and may be here as well. My objectives are to keep as much smoke in the chamber for as long as possible and to keep the outside of chamber cleaner after longer cooks. Thanks in advance for your responses.
I don't think it makes any difference in the temps. The fan sets the pace of air movement. So what does not go out the leaks, goes out the chimney. Just make sure that you have the chimney cap up as high as it goes, so as not to restrict the flow. The cap is just to prevent rain entry, not to adjust flow. (whereas on a stick burner, it helps adjust air flow since there is no fan). The way to increase smoke exposure is with the lo/slo temp around 225* and below, as the fan then becomes intermittent, and allows the smoke to linger longer, as well as allowing the pellets to smolder during the off cycle. On my 590, when set at 225* I don't always get intermittent fan, but below that I always do. You will appreciate the seals.
PS the feed rate adjustment is only for the lowest setting to avoid flame out. Set to 30 in summer where the climate is hot, and 65 in winter where it is colder climate. Example: In Arizona, the summer temps are often around 100* plus, so your pit does not need as many pellets/min. to maintain a smoke temp of 180. If you have it set for 65/min, then you may not be able to get the low temp desired, so you reduce it to 30. If you then get the temp desired but the flame goes out, then you nudge feed rate up until you get the desired temp without flameout. In cold winter, it will take more pellets/min to maintain the 180* temp without flameout, so you increase it to 65 for that reason. So--feed rate has nothing to do with other temp adjustment. Sorry for my windy answer, but the feed rate issue has been misunderstood more that any other aspect of the control settings.

It's really not going to effect the way the grill cooks temperature wise but it will keep the outside surfaces a lot cleaner.
I only sealed the upper and lower surfaces on the lid with Fireblack 1/8 inch thick by 3/4 wide, the sides were not sealed and it's worked great on my Bull to keep it cleaner.

Sdynak, that was the same gasket that I used. I got the 700 today and the wife and I put it together this afternoon. I got it sealed and will let it sit for a day for the gasket cure before doing the break-in. Hopefully, I'll get to cook this weekend. Thanks again everyone.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gymanji
Back