Stampede Sealing the RT-590 Lid

CurtisK

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I've read through a ton of comments about sealing the lid on the RT-700 but, I am ready to purchase a RT-590 and interested in hearing from those who have sealed their 590 lid. Are you still able to achieve high temps? What size tape do you recommend? Are there tricks to applying it since the lid has angles, (unlike the RT-700)? The reasons I am thinking about sealing the lid are for added smoke flavor, efficiency and keeping it clean. I greatly appreciate all shared experiences and feedback.

I've read through a ton of comments about sealing the lid on the RT-700 but, I am ready to purchase a RT-590 and interested in hearing from those who have sealed their 590 lid. Are you still able to achieve high temps? What size tape do you recommend? Are there tricks to applying it since the lid has angles, (unlike the RT-700)? The reasons I am thinking about sealing the lid are for added smoke flavor, efficiency and keeping it clean. I greatly appreciate all shared experiences and feedback.
The only thing sealing the lids on any of the recteq grills will do is to keep the outer area of the barrel cleaner, all of the recteq grills will work just fine in all temperatures the way they are shipped to you.

I did seal my Bull's upper and lower lid surfaces with fire black and nothing changed with the temperatures and cooking times except for the smoke stains getting on the stainless steal barrel outer surfaces. I did not apply the fire black to the side surfaces of the lid.

1st, check the hood alignment and if not perfect, loosen fasteners, re-align and tighten. No problem with the angles on the hood, just run a piece of tape on each side, another on the top and also bottom if you choose. 1/2" x 1/8' is sufficient. I doubt you'll notice any increase in smoke flavor, but you will notice it keeps the outside much cleaner. There are thousands of post floating around for and against sealing, do whatever you want, it's your grill.

Sealed my 590. No difference in performance except cleaner outer shell around the lid. The seal has worked well for almost a year now. It does look like a thick piece of soot however, ??? I notice the RT folks don't waste much time cleaning their demo pits.

I sealed my lid with the lavalock basket. I wanted it to keep it cleaner and it doesn't make that metal clunk sound when you close the lid which makes it sound cheap imo. And don't let anyone tell you it changes temps because the fan is blowing air into the firepot anyway

Thanks. Appreciated. I think I am going to seal mine too.
I also cut the gasket into 4 different pieces for each side of the lid while holding it up to the lid and butted it up against each other and used the outside edge of the lid as my guide while sticking it on.

For example, run 2 long pieces the full length of the lid going horizontally the whole way. Cut it to length and then start to peel the backing off the gasket and stick it on along the edge as you go.

Then the 2 vertical side edges of the lid I applied gasket to next. Hold it up to the lid measure it off and cut it then remove the backing and sticking it on as you go. You'll butt the gasket up to the horizontal strip at the top as close as you can get it. Hope that made sense 🙏

I also cut the gasket into 4 different pieces for each side of the lid while holding it up to the lid and butted it up against each other and used the outside edge of the lid as my guide while sticking it on.

For example, run 2 long pieces the full length of the lid going horizontally the whole way. Cut it to length and then start to peel the backing off the gasket and stick it on along the edge as you go.

Then the 2 vertical side edges of the lid I applied gasket to next. Hold it up to the lid measure it off and cut it then remove the backing and sticking it on as you go. You'll butt the gasket up to the horizontal strip at the top as close as you can get it. Hope that made sense 🙏
It does, and thank you. I am going to use that process!

Just my 2 cents, I had a 340 and all kind of smoke was leaking out the lid, and the temps were crazy. So I started researching sealing lids for the 590 that was on the way because I was losing heat and smoke.

I got the 590, the lid sits perfectly, no smoke is leaking out the lid, and the grill is maintaining its temp without any fluctuations.

So if the lid is sitting properly, I don’t think you need to seal. Just my 2 cents. Recteq kinda confirmed that it didn’t need to be sealed. But I understand they may be a lil partial 😁

I don’t think sealing the lid and between the vents and grill affects performance at all. After all there are 3 large vent holes in the grill. I find the only real benefit is that the leaking smoke doesn’t discolor the grill as much.

I think you really only need to seal the lid if your smoker is not protected from the wind (assuming you live in a windy place). Where I live, roof decks are very common on homes and even propane grills can have a hard time maintaining temps when it's windy.

I think you really only need to seal the lid if your smoker is not protected from the wind (assuming you live in a windy place). Where I live, roof decks are very common on homes and even propane grills can have a hard time maintaining temps when it's windy.
Many people are sealing their lids to reduce the outside of the grill from getting stained from smoke leaking out. Sealing the lid shouldn't have much effect on the grill temps wind or not.

Many people are sealing their lids to reduce the outside of the grill from getting stained from smoke leaking out. Sealing the lid shouldn't have much effect on the grill temps wind or not.
Probably right, but my simplistic view is smoke and heat belong on the inside of the Smoker and sealing the lid helps with that.

Probably right, but my simplistic view is smoke and heat belong on the inside of the Smoker and sealing the lid helps with that.
There are 3 large vents in the back of the hood and a large hole for the grease spout. The small gap around the lid is minimal in comparison to those factory ports so the lid gap has little effect on temps. I'm not saying not to seal or to seal, there are thousands of posts discussing the topic on the web. Personally, I sealed my lid, mainly to keep the outside clean with no noticeable effect on temps.

Just my 2 cents, I had a 340 and all kind of smoke was leaking out the lid, and the temps were crazy. So I started researching sealing lids for the 590 that was on the way because I was losing heat and smoke.

I got the 590, the lid sits perfectly, no smoke is leaking out the lid, and the grill is maintaining its temp without any fluctuations.

So if the lid is sitting properly, I don’t think you need to seal. Just my 2 cents. Recteq kinda confirmed that it didn’t need to be sealed. But I understand they may be a lil partial 😁
I called customer service before buying a 590 and they were adamant about NOT sealing it. Not sure whether to believe them or the folks on here.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back