Sealed up Too Tight

Roaniecowpony

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
My 700 is sealed up with the Nomex felt seal and has really sealed up better with the use over the past year or so.

So, I have a smoke box and have smoked cheese in the past using a tray of ice to keep it cool enough running the 700 on LO. Still it runs hot enough to melt the cheese near the box inlet and I have to rotate the cheese blocks around.

Today, I started a smoke tube and was going to run just using the smoke tube as I had done one other time. However, it is overcast and cool in Socal, about 60 ish. When i went to put the cheese in the box, I noticed there was no smoke coming from the stack. I opened the pit and it was really white/gray, dense, acrid, smoke. Apparently, the last time I did this, the sun heated box and pit was enough to cause a draft and draw in air thru whatever paths it could. However, today, the heat from the smoke tube wasn't enough to create that draft.

So, it was clear the smoke tube needed more O2. I opened the pit and box doors and let the acrid smoke clear out and let the smoke tube start burning cleaner. Once that was evident, I put the smoke tube next to the front left corner and closed the pit door, then propped it open with one of those plastic wedge tools for prying off auto interior panels. Just open about 1/16" in the left corner. That was enough to allow O2 in and and not enough to let a lot of smoke out. It is now running with a good draft and smoking nicely.

I used the smoke tube with pellets and with chips, lid cracked open. I still didn't like the smoke. But I was about 2/3rds done. I fired up the main burner on the 700. The smoke is much better. But the temperature is higher than desireable. I think a detached box with a dryer duct like someone else has shown here is a better way to go. Or just put ice in there.

After 8 hours, I thought that was enough smoke. I smoked 15 blocks in all.

Attachments

• 20220113_170741.jpg
    20220113_170741.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 81

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back