Bull Ruined my chicken wings.

JohnDS

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hey guys. I never usually cook above 225, but I decided to crisp up the chicken wings in the final 30min by cranking up to 400. When I went out there, it was like a smoldering forest fire, no flames, just thick white smoke. Made the wings taste bitter. I know what it was. All the 225 cooks I've done, I dont always remove the excess grease buildup on the drip pan, so cranking up to 400 really made A LOT of burning smoke from it. So besides for the obvious of cleaning/scraping the drip pan next time, is there anything else you guys do to avoid this bad smoke when turning up the heat in the future? Will the black charred, seasoned walls of the smoker do the same thing even with the drip pan cleaned, when turning up the heat? What's your procedure? Thanks.

Whenever I’m going to cook over 300 I make sure I clean the drip pan before the cook. Never had a problem like you described. Others may have different experiences.

I try to keep my grill as grease free as possible to prevent fires.

I never thought about the smoke issue so thanks for the warning.

Yes, I'll make sure to clean the pan next time. Other than that, in general, is that all you guys do to clean the grill, just the drip pan?

I vacuum out the barrel and firepot after every 5-7 hrs of cook time or after a long cook (brisket/ pork butt). To keep the heavy smoke like you had from the grease - I put heavy duty foil over the drip tray for a quick tear-off when cranking up the heat but normally for crisping something at the end - I throw on my gas grill for the last few min

Only had key bull a few months but read putting foil over the drip pan makes things a lot easier to keep clean. I took the advice and always have foil covering the drip pan. I change it when it has built up grease on it. Haven't had a flair up yet.

Only had key bull a few months but read putting foil over the drip pan makes things a lot easier to keep clean. I took the advice and always have foil covering the drip pan. I change it when it has built up grease on it. Haven't had a flair up yet.
I'm surprised that there isn't pre cut heavy duty foil for the drip pans. Some other grills offer this, not cheap but easy.

I'm surprised that there isn't pre cut heavy duty foil for the drip pans. Some other grills offer this, not cheap but easy.
Treager 34 Series BAC410 aluminum tray liners fit pretty good on the Stampede. Should fit good on the Bull too.

Attachments

• Foil Lt Side.jpg
    Foil Lt Side.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 99
  • Foil Rt Side.jpg
    Foil Rt Side.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 99
Do you happen to know the dimensions? I'd like to use that on my Rec-Traeger.
The 34 Series BAC410 dimension is 15.5 x 31.5 Attached is a chart of the different Traeger liner sizes I made. I used Amazon and the Trager site to gather most of the data. I think it is fairly accurate. Sometimes the dimensions didn't match each other between the two sites. The only one I know for sure is correct is the 34 Series BAC410.

Attachments

• Liner Size.pdf
    396.9 KB · Views: 154
Thanks for looking. My Traeger started life as a BBQ400 a.k.a Select. The drip tray is aprox. 27.5 Long X 14.5 Wide. It appears the liners for this model has been discontinued.

Hey guys. I never usually cook above 225, but I decided to crisp up the chicken wings in the final 30min by cranking up to 400. When I went out there, it was like a smoldering forest fire, no flames, just thick white smoke. Made the wings taste bitter. I know what it was. All the 225 cooks I've done, I dont always remove the excess grease buildup on the drip pan, so cranking up to 400 really made A LOT of burning smoke from it. So besides for the obvious of cleaning/scraping the drip pan next time, is there anything else you guys do to avoid this bad smoke when turning up the heat in the future? Will the black charred, seasoned walls of the smoker do the same thing even with the drip pan cleaned, when turning up the heat? What's your procedure? Thanks.
I’ve never had that problem but I can see that happening. I clean the drip pan and grates after each cook. I cook a lot of chicken thighs and there is a lot of grease after the cook.

I’ve never had that problem but I can see that happening. I clean the drip pan and grates after each cook. I cook a lot of chicken thighs and there is a lot of grease after the cook.
After reading post I thoroughly cleaned and vacuumed my grill.

After I cook something greasy I will usually crank the heat all the way up and let it run like that about 20 minutes. I then just use my app to shut it down. After a few of these type cooks I'll let it cool down and then vacuum it out. Running it that hot after a messy cook also makes it easier to clean the cooking grates.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kirkster
Back