RT700 in transit. What pellets do you recommend?

animallover526

All things being equal, I'd like a pellet that provides some smoke and smoke flavor. Will be doing ribs, chicken, pork butt and eventually, my first brisket. I understand that a light blue smoke is the norm but I'd like my new neighbors to smell what's cookin. Just arrived in Lexington, KY from California. I've already posted 2 other threads and ya all have been great! Thanx in advance for your suggestions. I'm not concerned with price.

I am new to pellet cooking but have stick burned for years. Pellets burn cleaner than regular wood so the experts can correct me but at low Temps 180-250 you will not get the clean light blue smoke. I have only had my bill for about a month and have used Cookinpellets. I am about 60 minutes north of Lexington.

Any pellets, expensive or cheap that I put through my Bull had no issues burning them or with ash build up. I broke my grill in on the cheap Pit Boss Competition Blend at Lowes and have tried other companies including the 6 bags of RecTec pellets I got with the grill when purchased. I really can't tell much of a difference, I always have nice clean light blue smoke on the under 250 temperatures, it cleans up on the higher temperatures and it always smells wonderful.

Last edited:
Lumberjack and Smoke Ring pellets. I've used Cookin Pellets, but the Smoke Ring Competition blend has better flavor in my opinion.

Lumberjack and BBQ delight were the 2 I found to be the best for flavor, heat and low ash. Since you are in Lexington take a trip to rural king in Winchester they carry lumberjack for under $9 a bag. You won’t be disappointed

RecTec and Lumber Jack my favorites. Hickory char from lumberjack is a good one. ??

Hi All I have only used Lumber Jacks Hickory & Fruit blend..In the 3 weeks I have my grill..I find the smoke flavor lacking. I also have 280 Lbs of cookinpellets that I haven't tried yet. I wanna use up my LJ's 1st.
How do I get more smoke flavor. I've tried the low & extreme way for a few hrs??
ThanksDan

How about a smoke tube? I have one. Many have posted about it on the forum As Martha would say, "Its a good thing" ??

Agree get a smoke tube or just put some wood or pellets on top of the heat deflector.
Don't be afraid to crack open up those cookingpellets before you use up all the Lumberjack, what happens if the cookingpellets are worse for you in the flavor area?

Last edited:
ON SALE!!! Cookingpellets, 280 lbs, cheap. Free delivery! ??

I have used RT pellets that I purchased with the grill, i have used some from Sams Club, not sure of the manufacturer, I have used PitBoss pellets. I have not had any issues with any of them. I am not a pellet expert and I have not tried LumberJack, which are highly recommended. I buy what I can find locally and that does not cost me a fortune. I pay less than $1/pound and usually less than $.50/pound

I agree about Lumberjack pellets. I love their 100% Cherry and also their Pecan Blend. Pit Boss pellets are ok, great price, but I would avoid the bags from Walmart. They always have a ton of sawdust in them. If you buy the Pit Boss pellets from Lowes, those always seem much better.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back