RT Rubs comparison

NinoRT700

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I’m looking to order some new rubs and haven’t tried any of the recteq ones yet.
Wanted to know if anyone can give anytype of comparison to what these few rubs taste like or similar to?

Heffer Dust
Freakin Greek
Asian persuasion

That taste like one of recteqs rubs?
Trying to get a comparison of ones i listed
I’m not the best one to give you a comparison, because you didn’t list which rubs you wanted to compare the recteq rubs to. I can add this, FWIW, is that the Colten’s FG is awesome on poultry, period. My go-to on chicken, turkey, quail, or grouse. Nothing else, other than perhaps a little more salt-that’s all that’s needed. CFG is also a good choice on vegetables-perhaps recteq’s most versatile rub. The heifer dust is good, but so is salt. pepper, garlic. I have some Asian persuasion, but then I‘m not a big fan. One thing you didn’t mention-Loco Gringo. Very, very nice southwest flavored rub where you are not looking for flaming heat. If you are looking for heat also, add some heat to it.

I’m not the best one to give you a comparison, because you didn’t list which rubs you wanted to compare the recteq rubs to. I can add this, FWIW, is that the Colten’s FG is awesome on poultry, period. My go-to on chicken, turkey, quail, or grouse. Nothing else, other than perhaps a little more salt-that’s all that’s needed. CFG is also a good choice on vegetables-perhaps recteq’s most versatile rub. The heifer dust is good, but so is salt. pepper, garlic. I have some Asian persuasion, but then I‘m not a big fan. One thing you didn’t mention-Loco Gringo. Very, very nice southwest flavored rub where you are not looking for flaming heat. If you are looking for heat also, add some heat to it.
Yea little harder to explain rubs the way i had asked and thinking in my head lol but you answered my questions on the ones i was considering.
I currently use alot of killer hogs like the TX Brisket rub, AP, The Hot and regular bbq rub which i enjoy but was trying to avoid getting stuff that is pretty much the same and go in a different direction to try some new flavors With everything.

Last edited:
I highly recommend Heath Riles pecan rub and honey rub and garlic jalapeño rub. The first two are 16oz and the last one is 12oz. They cost about $15 each plush shipping unless you have Amazon Prime and then the shipping is free. These are the best rubs for pork ribs and pork butts. I like to mix the pecan and honey rubs together and put a thick layer on my ribs and butts before smoking them. I also will add a little to the meat as I serve it. My whole family loves the flavors. The best part is they are not to salty. If you try them you will not want to run out. I’m still figuring out the best beef rubs but for pork I’m settled on these mentioned above.

I use Heffer Dust on brisket, and dino ribs, and I will usually add some of the Pecan Rub mentioned above. (all of the ones listed by @Stratratbj96 are pretty GREAT!) I would compare the Heffer Dust to SPG with some paprika, and maybe a hint of something else, but I can't name it. I am glad to hear a suggestion on what to use the Freakin' Greek on. It smells AMAZING, with a lot of Mediterranean notes, but I could not decide what to use it on. (in fact, everything I have tried it on to date was underwhelming) I really want to like the Asian Persuasion, but it seems to be lacking in any discernable flavor. So, reading this back, I see no real comparison, or descriptive advice, and flavor is a highly subjective and personal experience. Long story longer, I will order Hefer Dust again. I also like the Honey Rib rub, and Screamin' Pig Rub. (the Heath Riles honey rub may take the place of the Honey Rib Rub eventually) Part of the fun for me is buying a new rub, and giving it a try. (my wife may not agree with the "fun" part!) Good Luck, and please post your experiences!

Comparison wise....don't really have any to compare to those. Heffer dust is like a general bbq rub. You can buy heffer dust else where also for cheaper.

Asian persuasion is a really good one! I would like to try the freakin greek as that sounds good also. But their others ones I've tried are not bad but just didn't do a whole lot for me.

I prefer Meat Church's rubs. Holy Voodoo above is one of the best ones out there. I use that on my chicken wings.

Any thoughts on Kosmos rubs? Just put in an order for a couple different rubs from them.

For Recteq, I got the bundle. Heffer Dust and the Rossarooskis got good feedback from the family. Didn't care for the competition rub or the screaming pig. Greek rub was ok on chicken, but I prefer "rub some chicken". Have not tried asian persuasion or southwest yet. The sauces were just ok.

Going to have to try some meat church - seems to get rave reviews. For steaks, borsari is my favorite hands down.

Anyone tried Meat Mitch Rub? They make an awesome, spicy BBQ sauce called Char Bar Table sauce which we found at Kansas City’s Char Bar

I’m looking to order some new rubs and haven’t tried any of the recteq ones yet.
Wanted to know if anyone can give anytype of comparison to what these few rubs taste like or similar to?

Heffer Dust
Freakin Greek
Asian persuasion
I stopped buying rubs a few years ago and now I make my own. That way, I can have something exactly suited to my taste, and I know what ingredients are in there. In addition, it probably works out to be less expensive over time.

I bought the beef rub, “Cluck” rub, and “Casanova’s competition rub”.

All good. Beef and cluck rubs have a peppery bite that most people like…including me. But my wife doesn’t like that. The Casanova rub went over well with her though. Nothing intrusive about it. Good taste.

But it all drove me to make my own rubs. Using Paul Kirks “Championship Barbecue Cookbook” as my bbq Bible, I’ve developed a rub I use on poultry and pork and another rub for beef/steaks. Making my own rubs allows me to get the more prominent flavors I like without being too peppery for my wife.

Heffer Dust
Freakin Greek
Asian persuasion
I also meant to add that I’ve used Myron Dixon’s (?) “Butt Rub”. Costco has carried it. My son swears by it. I like a little sweet to my pork rub and Butt Rub didn’t hit that spot. But it must be fairly well-liked as Costvo continues to carry it. Not sure if that’s a testament to his popularity or the taste of the rub.

I stopped buying rubs a few years ago and now I make my own. That way, I can have something exactly suited to my taste, and I know what ingredients are in there. In addition, it probably works out to be less expensive over time.
I thought about starting to make my own as well. Will have to do a little trial and error with recipes on some smaller cuts of meat first

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back