Bull Trying Different Rubs on Wings

CoastieKarl

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Doing a comparison of different rubs and a salt, pepper and garlic seasoning. Will also be trying different sauces with the rubs. This is too much fun!
20230102_144543.jpg

Here is the report:
Some of the rubs will definitely be better with larger items such as whole chickens, brisket, pork butt, etc. Its easy to overwhelm a wing with flavor.
Flavor/Heat

1. RecTeq Loco Gringo 2/1
Had very powerful oregano flavor, IMHO, too much for wings. Least favorite but may be great on larger pieces of meat.

2. RecTeq Freakin Greek Rub 7/2
Heavy salt but well rounded and very flavorful. Had initial wow factor with the better half.

3. Blaze. 5/1
This is a locally made rub out of Mobile AL. Well rounded, but a little on the dull side for flavor. It produced the best looking wing though, think it was all the paprika in it.

4 Lamberts Sweet Rub o' Mine. 9/1
This was the top pick for me and the better half. Best overall flavor and hit all the flavor notes with almost no heat. Coupled with a sweet and tangy Carolina BBQ sauce, it knocked it out of the park.

5. RecTeq Asian Persuasion. 6/8
I have used this several times on wings with mixed results. With the wrong sauce, it can throw the wings into flamethrower mode. You can tame the heat if you use a mild bbq sauce such as the RecTeq gourmet (mild), it is fantastic.

6. Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder. 3/3
Good basic flavoring. But once you have a good rub, it's hard to back to basics.

The Lamberts #4 on the list tasted great. Then added a sweet and tangy Carolina sauce, it was delicious.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back