Bull RT-700 Door problem?!?

Palmetto15

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I'm happy to say my RT700 has finally arrived, and after assembly I noticed something weird with the lid.
When standing in front of the unit when I lift the lid using the horn on the right the entire lid from the left side to the right side lifts at the same time.

However, when I close the lid then lift the lid using the left horn the lid will open about 1-2 inches on the left-hand side, but the right hand lower side is still touching the barrel. It's as if the lid is twisting when I open it using the left horn. Given the unit is brand new, is this something I should be contacting support about?!?

Right Horn.jpg
Left Horn.jpg

Last edited:
I'm happy to say my RT700 has finally arrived, and after assembly I noticed something weird with the lid.
When standing in front of the unit when I lift the lid using the horn on the right the entire lid from the left side to the right side lifts at the same time.

However, when I close the lid then lift the lid using the left horn the lid will open about 1-2 inches on the left-hand side, but the right hand lower side is still touching the barrel. It's as if the lid is twisting when I open it using the left horn. Given the unit is brand new, is this something I should be contacting support about?!?
This has been noticed in the 1250 too, but nobody mentioned that it affected the grill’s performance. If it’s bothering you, you can always call Recteq and see what they say about it.

Is the door sealing on both sides when closed?
Yes it is but it's less than a week old so it should be sealing on both sides :). My concern is more related to hundreds of lifts and asociated twisting during that time over the course of months/years.

Since the chamber body and door panel are both solid objects with little or no flexibility, the only variable will be the hinge. Check and adjust the hinges to fix the problem.

Pretty obviously, something is either loose or misaligned. Loosen both hinge mounting screws slightly, do a few trial lifts (using BOTH handles at the same time) and re-tighten the mounting screws. It might take a few iterations of this process to get things adjusted to your liking but I think you can correct this issue yourself.

Those with these dangerous symptoms are required to send the unit to me immediately postage paid. This is for your safety. Please PM me for further details. :)
I'd take this man up on his generosity before he changes his mind!

Since the chamber body and door panel are both solid objects with little or no flexibility, the only variable will be the hinge. Check and adjust the hinges to fix the problem.

Pretty obviously, something is either loose or misaligned. Loosen both hinge mounting screws slightly, do a few trial lifts (using BOTH handles at the same time) and re-tighten the mounting screws. It might take a few iterations of this process to get things adjusted to your liking but I think you can correct this issue yourself.
Hey Jim,
I've adjusted the hinges on both sides but no luck. You mention an interedting point when you say "misaligned". After taking another look the door definately hangs lower on the left side than the right side, not a lot but when you take the time to look you can see see it. As you know the hinges only adjust left to right which isn't overly helpful unfortunately. As mentioned previously I'm not concerned about the short term but I could see with years of use the door will become twisted...I have no idea what to do.

Hey Jim,
I've adjusted the hinges on both sides but no luck. You mention an interedting point when you say "misaligned". After taking another look the door definately hangs lower on the left side than the right side, not a lot but when you take the time to look you can see see it. As you know the hinges only adjust left to right which isn't overly helpful unfortunately. As mentioned previously I'm not concerned about the short term but I could see with years of use the door will become twisted...I have no idea what to do.
I wonder if one of the hinges could be a defective in where the holes are located, etc.? That could lead to an alignment problem. Sometimes, a hole that’s just a little out of spec can tilt things.

I’ve had situations (not with a RT grill, however) where simply changing out one component with another that appears identical has made an alignment difference. I think I would contact RT and see if they would send you a new set.

Might be worth a shot. Good luck.

I remembered this thread about the wonky lid - I had it too when I was putting together the grill earlier today. All I did was loosen the nuts a bit and push the pin as tight as possible inward against the hinge, and then retighten. If it's a little loose the pulling of one handle can allow it to slide on the pins just a little bit and the left side comes up before the right side gets tight against the pin and has nowhere to go but up.

If the adjustment on the mounting bolts does not work then give it a gentle twist by grasping both lower ends(pushing on the gap end, pulling on the tight side) I used the lavalock bbq gasket from Amazon recommended on the forum. In some places I doubled up, also had to put spacers on the hinge. Definitely keeps the grill cleaner around the edges👍🏼

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 89
My RT700 is doing the same thing. It closes tight but but there is a good deal of play when opening the left side vs the right. Luckily I am left handed so I will just keep tongs in my left hand, open with my right and then no issue. :)

All, sounds like you have a right handed lid. Haha. I’m a lefty and didn’t notice it on my unit that is over 2 years old. Do you think the hinges came from different production lots or suppliers? This could contribute to the issue. I would call RT and request a new “set” (not just one hinge) and replace both to see if it cures the problem. I am similar to the OP and that would bug me every time I opened the smoker because I would be wondering what day it will fail. As a trial, try opening the lid all the way and put pressure on both sides equally and aggressively. If that doesn’t force a realignment, give RT a call while you are still in the honeymoon phase.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mavro85
Back