RT-590 pork butts, 18 hours at 225. Sonny Salt rub. Smoked in their own juices, I always use the foil baking pans for butts. Let rest 2 hours.

That’s just a two pack of boneless pork butts. It’s the right cut, just no blade bone in it. You just have to decide if you are cooking one or both. I’ve done a few of these from Costco when my butcher shop doesn’t have any bone in and they come out fine. I assure you it won’t turn out like crockpot pulled pork. You have enough experience with other smokes that you’ll do great on this.

Thanks.. I'll be cooking for about 6-8 so thinking I'll probably just do both and save any leftovers for later just to be sure there is enough. Is it best to tie them and cook separately? Likely want to have ready around 1-2 PM. Package is 11 lbs for both.

Tying each of them will give you the closest thing to a bone in But you don’t have to. You’ll get more surface area for bark if you don’t tie them but will have more irregularity in the shape which can affect the cooking time of thicker Vs. thinner areas. I tie them because I like them to be uniform for the cook even though I LOVE the bark pieces.

Tying each of them will give you the closest thing to a bone in But you don’t have to. You’ll get more surface area for bark if you don’t tie them but will have more irregularity in the shape which can affect the cooking time of thicker Vs. thinner areas. I tie them because I like them to be uniform for the cook even though I LOVE the bark pieces.

Cool.. I'm leaning toward tying them for the cooking consistency. Thanks! Feel like with all the advice I'm gonna nail this one. Will be doing it the following weekend.

I typically don't tie. Here are 2 on a 340

Attachments

• IMG_9194.jpg
    IMG_9194.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 93

I'll get a feel when I get them out of the package. I think the weight of mine may be lower than those which I'm wondering if that would make a difference.

i also took advantage of the costco deal. i have never tried tying them together. i will research that. i cook mine at 225 fat down but trim most off and wrap in foil around 165-170 and pull them off around 200-210. when ever the feel like peanut butter when i probe. you will make some killer pork im sure. also having extra is great. you can make some nachos and enjoy them all yourself. wifes diet probably doesn’t include nachos

So what would this be?

View attachment 14528
Perfect example of stores or producers mislabeling. On purpose, just don't care, maybe the cut is in between the normal shoulder and butt cuts - who knows. As someone else stated, they should turn out fine. Personally, since you say you want it for lunch time, I would think putting it on around 6pm the night before at around 225. Try to get up around 7 or 8am and move it to a pan and cover. I usually add a little water but I don't think it is needed. The pan usually gets a lot of juice from the fat melting. I also usually turn mine up to 250 or a little higher so it will cook a little faster. I pull once I can stick a skewer in it and it goes in easily. I also use the mustard method for putting the seasoning on in the beginning. The only meat I use that method.

Those look to be bone in. I don’t tie those either as they hold their shape a lot better. @sdynak has boneless.

i also took advantage of the costco deal. i have never tried tying them together. i will research that. i cook mine at 225 fat down but trim most off and wrap in foil around 165-170 and pull them off around 200-210. when ever the feel like peanut butter when i probe. you will make some killer pork im sure. also having extra is great. you can make some nachos and enjoy them all yourself. wifes diet probably doesn’t include nachos
I’ve never tied them together but will truss up a boneless butt just to get a more uniform shape like you would get with the bone left in.

Good stuff... yeah.. the chips themselves might not fit into the diet but she just found a mozzarella cheese that is actually not bad and works for her so now you got me thinking of more options of what to do with leftovers.. :unsure:

Perfect example of stores or producers mislabeling. On purpose, just don't care, maybe the cut is in between the normal shoulder and butt cuts - who knows. As someone else stated, they should turn out fine. Personally, since you say you want it for lunch time, I would think putting it on around 6pm the night before at around 225. Try to get up around 7 or 8am and move it to a pan and cover. I usually add a little water but I don't think it is needed. The pan usually gets a lot of juice from the fat melting. I also usually turn mine up to 250 or a little higher so it will cook a little faster. I pull once I can stick a skewer in it and it goes in easily. I also use the mustard method for putting the seasoning on in the beginning. The only meat I use that method.

I'm armed and ready to go I think! All good tips.. thanks! Feeling confident :)

I agree with you @opus , I don't know what it is. I have tried it several times and it doesn't taste like a bone-in Boston Butt.

I've done dozens of them from Costco, Restaurant Depot, Sams, etc.. Some bone-in, some boneless. Honestly, I can't tell any difference after all the rub and bark and smoke.

I like to use some apple and cherry pellets or wood chunks if on a charcoal pit.

Just my opinion, but I find that the "juices" when cooked in an open tray, are just rendered collogen. All the water just cooks off and you're left with gellatin. If you serve it hot, it will act as moisture. But cold it will be gellatin. So, I don't re-use it. Instead, I whip up some pork broth from concentrate, add rub and any other flavor (think apple juice), heat to a simmer to get the flavors to meld, then pour over the pulled meat.

If I want to add some smoke to the pulled meat (which I almost always do), I put the tray of meat (with the added broth/rub for moisture) back on the pit and smoke for 30-60 minutes while turning it in occasionally, with a smoke tube running at 350 to get some browned top.

I vacuum pack most of it, since there's just two of us most of the time. So, I make up 1/2 lb packs which are great for 2 people. We still have mid last year packs we're going thru. I used a pack last night for tacos and stuffing ABTs.

pork broth.jpg

Regarding the Costco/Swift cryovac pork, I'd open it early, leaving you enough time to return it and get a replacement. I've had enough of them that were slightly spoiled that I keep my options open. I've not had a bad one from Sams, but I don't buy as many from Sams.

Regarding the Costco/Swift cryovac pork, I'd open it early, leaving you enough time to return it and get a replacement. I've had enough of them that were slightly spoiled that I keep my options open. I've not had a bad one from Sams, but I don't buy as many from Sams.

Yup.. If it doesn't seem right when I open it I'll certainly make other arrangements.

That does look great. I do a lot of pork butts on the bull. (Never used a pan, but soon will)
Our local grocery store has nice fatty butts @$1.59 /lb often.
If I cook a4-5 lb butt @ 225-235 for 14 hours the roast is juicy and not greasy.
I have since stopped using the bear claws to “pull” as it falls apart with a fork on the platter.
Love the bull !!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back