First pork butt on the 590

Lineforeman

Put my first pork butt on the 590 this morning. I have done some small cooks, chicken breasts, pork chops and such but this is my first long cook. I also filled the hopper with Lumber Jack apple blend pellets for the first time and so far I think I am getting more smoke from them than the Traeger that I had used before. If all goes will with this the next big one will be a brisket..

Put my first pork butt on the 590 this morning. I have done some small cooks, chicken breasts, pork chops and such but this is my first long cook. I also filled the hopper with Lumber Jack apple blend pellets for the first time and so far I think I am getting more smoke from them than the Traeger that I had used before. If all goes will with this the next big one will be a brisket..
I agree that the RT has more smoke than the Traeger. Not sure why but you're right.

A1C295D3-49A8-42B1-8115-FE3E8BBA7DA6.jpeg

Just pulled it off the 590 after 8 hours at 160 degrees and wrapped it and put it back on. I can’t wait till it’s done to see how it comes out

I am dying to see how you made out with this cook, I have never cooked a pork but and will be looking forward to trying my hand at it.

I pulled it off the 590 after 10 hours and at 203 degrees the temp probe was just like they say like pushing through warm butter. I let it rest wrapped in a towel in the cooler for an hour and a half then unwrapped it and the bone came out just like in the videos and it just fell apart. I rubbed it with SPG for the first one to see how it came out and I think it is very good we will see what the kids think tomorrow. I think next time I will experiment with a differant rub. All in all a very good experience for the first one and very easy with good results. Next brisket.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back