Stampede RT-590 Initial Burn Issues

cboesl

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I got my new RT-590 all set up today and started the initial burn in as described in the instructions. Set the temps to 400 as described and monitored the temp through the app. The temp hit 400 in about 7 minutes after waffling up and down a few times around 180. Once it hit 400 degrees, it just kept climbing. It hit 450 and was still climbing so I turned it off thinking there might be a problem. I'm using a new bag of Weber hickory pellets that I picked up at Lowe's. Didn't have access to anything else this weekend. I am new to pellets grills so learning as I go here. Should the temp get that high over the 400 setting on this initial burn? The grill is outside in direct sunlight in GA with a current outdoor temp of 89 degrees. Any thoughts/help for this newbie is appreciated.

The first thing to do is check the auger feed rate. Makes sure it is set at 30 (on the controller) or 3 (on the app.

I got my new RT-590 all set up today and started the initial burn in as described in the instructions. Set the temps to 400 as described and monitored the temp through the app. The temp hit 400 in about 7 minutes after waffling up and down a few times around 180. Once it hit 400 degrees, it just kept climbing. It hit 450 and was still climbing so I turned it off thinking there might be a problem. I'm using a new bag of Weber hickory pellets that I picked up at Lowe's. Didn't have access to anything else this weekend. I am new to pellets grills so learning as I go here. Should the temp get that high over the 400 setting on this initial burn? The grill is outside in direct sunlight in GA with a current outdoor temp of 89 degrees. Any thoughts/help for this newbie is appreciated.
I did my RT-590 initial today too. No issues. Auger is set on 30 / 3.0. I am using Lumberjack hickory.

I expect you may need to call RT support to let them help diagnosis the problem. There is no harm in lowering the feed rate, but doing so has no affect on your grill’s ability to maintain higher temps. Adjusting the feed rate only only helps maintain low temps.

Welcome to the forums. These temperature swings are pretty much normal on the burn in especially if the grill is in direct sun. Let the grill run at the 400 degrees for the recommended hour and then let it cool off to ambient temperature. After this burn in cool down procedure then start up the grill and cook something.

same thing happened to me on the initial burn on my BFG, I dropped the feed rate to 3 after the burnt and was good after that... hope this helps

Second attempt at the initial burn in is going well. It has been holding steady at 400 degrees for 20 minutes now. Must have been some fluke issue with that first attempt.
I'm glad the second round is going better. The burn in is meant to burn off all the manufacturing contaminants and temperature swings are normal when burning off the manufacturing oils. Its now time to get that Stampede cooking and dirty.

This was the same issue I had on Friday evening with my new stampede. I called support and they had me change the feed rate to 25 from 30.

They explained it might have been the handful of pellets I put in to the pot to prime it was causing it to "run hot" or it might have been the pellets (Kingsford) I was using as some are higher quality and burn hotter than others.

The smoker worked flawlessly yesterday after the changes. I did pizza today, but couldn't get the stampeded to 500F. i may change the feed rate back to 30 and see what happens, especially if you had the same issue and the PID controller learned.

Thanks for sharing your experience (from one new owner to another)

This was the same issue I had on Friday evening with my new stampede. I called support and they had me change the feed rate to 25 from 30.

They explained it might have been the handful of pellets I put in to the pot to prime it was causing it to "run hot" or it might have been the pellets (Kingsford) I was using as some are higher quality and burn hotter than others.

The smoker worked flawlessly yesterday after the changes. I did pizza today, but couldn't get the stampeded to 500F. i may change the feed rate back to 30 and see what happens, especially if you had the same issue and the PID controller learned.

Thanks for sharing your experience (from one new owner to another)
The minimum feed rate adjustment is only for the lower temperatures setting it will have no effect on bringing the high temperatures up.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobondur
Back