Stampede RT-590 tripped breaker during initial heat

TheCrow

RT-590 delivered and assembled yesterday. This morning during initial burn to 400°, temperature got to 75° and tripped gfci breaker. I reset, circuit fine and outlets fine. Now no power what so ever on grill. Calling Recteq tomorrow, just wanted to see if anyone has suggestions to look at before. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum...
Have you tried plugging it into a non-gfci outlet as a test? Are you using a extension cord? What gauge/length? If the outlet has 120v and the unit does not power on, sounds like you need RT support.

I just checked fuse with multimeter and get no reading although it appears in tact. Going to get a new fuse and try again. I was using a 12 gauge 15ft cord and did not try a non gfci. I was getting some smoke to box, but then it tripped.

I would try non gfci first. Things are pieces of shit lately. Had a few go bad for no reason recently.

Nothing else was running on the circuit. It is a 20 amp gfci that I installed for patio fans and under eaves for Xmas lights. Nothing was running. Changed fuse and plugged directly into same outlet and 400° for one hour went fine. Not sure what internally caused fuse to blow.

As psycho pointed out, a bad GFCI (or extensIon cord, overloaded circuit, etc) would not cause a fuse in the grill to blow. Fuses protect downstream components. You probably have a short, such as a pinched wire or something internal to the igniter or fan or controller.

It’s probably not the grill. These new type of GFCI in the breaker box is absolute junk. I’ve had the same problem. My electrician has replaced those GFCI breakers with regular breakers and put the GFCI receptacle. This works.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back