Bullseye RT-380 or propane grill?

Jim6820

Crazy Ol’ Basque
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
We are going to be moving in the next few months as we bought a new home in a different community. Currently, we have the RT-340 and a Napoleon natural gas grill. The new home does not have access to natural gas, however.

I like the quick grill aspect of the gas grill for last-minute cooks as well as for searing after a long smoke on the 340. So, the decision boils down to whether I want a new propane gas grill or another pellet-fueled grill in the 380. Thoughts?

I haven’t owned a traditional gas grill in forever, but I do have a Bullseye and a RT-340 sitting side-by-side and they make an awesome combo. I cooked eggs and bacon on the Bullseye earlier today, and in about an hour I’ve got a rack of lamb going on the RT-340 shortly for a low and slow, then I’m going to slice them and hit them with a quick sear on the Bullseye. Then in the early AM I have a pork butt going on the RT-340, and I’ll grill some veg to go with it on the Bullseye tomorrow. One bag of pellets sitting at the ready to top off the hoppers so no concerns of running out of propane.

We are going to be moving in the next few months as we bought a new home in a different community. Currently, we have the RT-340 and a Napoleon natural gas grill. The new home does not have access to natural gas, however.

I like the quick grill aspect of the gas grill for last-minute cooks as well as for searing after a long smoke on the 340. So, the decision boils down to whether I want a new propane gas grill or another pellet-fueled grill in the 380. Thoughts?
Yes!

I would do a propane flat top and then a bullseye if you still find a need. Shame about the NG Napoleon.

I would do a propane flat top and then a bullseye if you still find a need. Shame about the NG Napoleon.
The thing is, I already have the 340, and I really like it. I’m assuming that by “flat top,” you are referring to something like the Blackstone. I must say that I’m not much impressed by the Blackstone as it doesn’t really fit my style of cooking. We don’t fry much of anything.

The thing is, I already have the 340, and I really like it. I’m assuming that by “flat top,” you are referring to something like the Blackstone. I must say that I’m not much impressed by the Blackstone as it doesn’t really fit my style of cooking. We don’t fry much of anything.

I don't primarily use it to fry. I use it to sear mostly. I do burgers & chicken on it as well as breakfast foods on an occasion. Not really a fryer for me either & never thought of it as a fryer. It drains any grease as it cooks so really can't be used as a true fryer I think :unsure:. Or maybe I'm confusing frying with deep frying. I use it to cook on.

I don't primarily use it to fry. I use it to sear mostly. I do burgers & chicken on it as well as breakfast foods on an occasion. Not really a fryer for me either & never thought of it as a fryer. It drains any grease as it cooks so really can't be used as a true fryer I think :unsure:. Or maybe I'm confusing frying with deep frying. I use it to cook on.
I suppose it depends on a personal definition of “fry.” I’ve always thought of it as cooking primarily on a flat, hot surface with very little, if any, oil. Actually, that sounds a lot like “searing,” doesn’t it? I’ve never equated “fry” with the “deep fry” concept of immersing food in hot oil/grease.

Bottom line for me is that I’m more into grilling and can do a “sear,” when needed, on a hot grate or sear plate. YMMV

I suppose it depends on a personal definition of “fry.” I’ve always thought of it as cooking primarily on a flat, hot surface with very little, if any, oil. Actually, that sounds a lot like “searing,” doesn’t it? I’ve never equated “fry” with the “deep fry” concept of immersing food in hot oil/grease.

Bottom line for me is that I’m more into grilling and can do a “sear,” when needed, on a hot grate or sear plate. YMMV

Got ya.. I gave feedback based on your inquiry on searing which is what I use it for primarily but has other use. I'll try to better understand your definitions beforehand making recommendations in the future.

Just because I mentioned it earlier, lamb chops cooked on both the RT-340 and the Bullseye along with a chickpea tomato salad. The mint, chives, parsley, and Rosemary is from my garden. Looking forward to tomato season!
A1864532-6E69-48CC-80EF-13E26A63760E.jpeg
D472A427-5318-4BC2-B6AE-719B9E58D992.jpeg

Got ya.. I gave feedback based on your inquiry on searing which is what I use it for primarily but has other use. I'll try to better understand your definitions beforehand making recommendations in the future.
I’m sorry if my response made it sound like I was rejecting your feedback. That’s certainly not what I intended. I was just trying to clarify what I meant by frying. Your input was appreciated.

Last edited:
I’m sorry if my response made it would like I was rejecting your feedback. That’s certainly not what I intended. I was just trying to clarify what I meant by frying. Your input was appreciated.

All good.. it was my bad for tossing out a flat top idea for searing when you asked specifically about a grill option.

I picked up a 380 recently and gave my Weber Summit to my daughter. I too like the idea of one fuel type and can say after 6 or 7 cooks I don’t think I’ll miss the Weber at all.

@Jim6820 , I have the 590 and a Bullseye. The Bullseye replaced my propane grill. The bullseye will do everything a propane grill will and more. IMHO is much more versatile. Get some Grillgrates for it and you will be very happy with searing. No flame ups with the GG.
I don't think it is much slower to heat up than a propane grill. I use mine during the week for fast and hot cooks. Great for burgers, chicken, steaks, anything you would grill on propane.

@Jim6820 , I have the 590 and a Bullseye. The Bullseye replaced my propane grill. The bullseye will do everything a propane grill will and more. IMHO is much more versatile. Get some Grillgrates for it and you will be very happy with searing. No flame ups with the GG.
I don't think it is much slower to heat up than a propane grill. I use mine during the week for fast and hot cooks. Great for burgers, chicken, steaks, anything you would grill on propane.
Thanks, @Pops; I appreciate your insight. While I’m still doing my research, I’m leaning in the direction of a Bullseye.

I like having a gas grill in the arsenal. I’ve never had a Napoleon, but I think they are highly rated. Are you happy with yours? If so, have you looked into a conversion kit to allow it to run on propane? I assume that is a possibility….

I like having a gas grill in the arsenal. I’ve never had a Napoleon, but I think they are highly rated. Are you happy with yours? If so, have you looked into a conversion kit to allow it to run on propane? I assume that is a possibility….
I do like my Napoleon, but I’m told that converting from natural gas to propane is a major task. Apparently, going from propane to natural gas is easier. It is all about the different burn characteristics of natural gas and the larger jets involved.

Last edited:
The Bullseye has replaced Weber gas grills for my Dad and I. I don't miss the gas grill at all. Napoleon's though are supposed to be one of the best of the best gas wise so I don't compare to that. But in my opinion, the Bullseye can replace a gas grill unless you need more space than the Bullseye offers. Then you might have to go gas grill.

But in my opinion, the Bullseye can replace a gas grill unless you need more space than the Bullseye offers. Then you might have to go gas grill.
Space is not a major issue; most of my cooks are just for then two of us or a couple more. The RT-340 has provided plenty of space for my needs, so I’m thinking the Bullseye would be fine in that regard.

Yes, the Napoleon 450RB is overkill for my current space needs, but it works so well that I hate the thought of giving it up. I may investigate further the possibility of converting it to propane, but I’ve been told by the local Napoleon dealer that it is expensive and not worth the cost for a 10-year-old grill. Still, it is in pristine condition after all those years. How many gas grills can you say that about?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back