Bullseye Bullseye 380 or 380X

Jayveelle

New on this forum. I'm trying to decide between the two 380s. Like to hear from you. What's the 380x best at cooking using the high temp for? Pizza? Searing? Or is it just better because of the upgraded features? I want to justify the higher price. Thanks!

Pizza is pretty phenomenal on it, that’s for sure!
When you figure $500 or more for a standalone pizza oven, it’s an easy call to upgrade to the X.

Pizza is pretty phenomenal on it, that’s for sure!
When you figure $500 or more for a standalone pizza oven, it’s an easy call to upgrade to the X.
Great! Thank you for your response! I make homemade pizza from scratch a lot & for that reason alone you've sold me on the X.🙂

Both 380s are best at high heat cooks. The 380X is a sturdier, hotter burning, and I believe a little taller cooker than the 380. It has addition features such as a WiFi controller, front shelf and lower shelf on the cart. Definitely an upgrade, you just have to decide if there are enough extras to justify the cost for your use.

Here's a sample!

Pizza Video.gif

It's a 18" pizza screen....650 or so, 10-11 mins. I found I like to use apple pellets for a more subtle smokiness. I use the basic bread recipe from here:
1696449612778.png

It's a 18" pizza screen....650 or so, 10-11 mins. I found I like to use apple pellets for a more subtle smokiness. I use the basic bread recipe from here:
View attachment 20253
Interesting....noted the Artisan bread recipe uses no olive oil & dough can be refrigerated & used anytime within 14 days. I like that. I've always used Emeril Lagasse's recipe. emerils.com/127648/basic-pizza-dough. I had not heard of a pizza screen before. Thank you for the info. 👍

I tried this flour last time (found it at Costco):
1696509157111.png

Both 380s are best at high heat cooks. The 380X is a sturdier, hotter burning, and I believe a little taller cooker than the 380. It has addition features such as a WiFi controller, front shelf and lower shelf on the cart. Definitely an upgrade, you just have to decide if there are enough extras to justify the cost for your use.

Not disagreeing per se, but I'll say that when I have tried to go to 600+ on a 380X the fire has gone out of control to the point that I couldn't safely open the grill and had to turn it off. I've had this happen on two separate grills. One of them had not been used for many cooks, so I don't think it is solely a matter of excessive grease build up. That said, up to 550 I've had great success with the 380X.

I have the 380, and it works just fine for me, but I also did not cook pizzas. Someone else stated in this thread, when you go to really high temperatures, just need to make sure that you don’t have any grease in your grill or you will end up with a fire. I’ve experienced it several times already. most of my cooks do not exceed 350° though. Spatchcock chickens, country style, ribs, brisket flats, baby back, ribs, pork steaks, fish.

@quarks I don’t disagree at all. I’ve only taken my 380 to Riot mode once or twice and it wasn’t a pleasant experience. I was just giving the differences between the two grills. According to Recteq the 380 is “capable” of 749 degrees while the 380x is “capable” of 1000 degrees.

I have the 380X, and use it exclusively for high heat cooks. One word of caution, bring it to temp, then let it settle for about 5 minutes additional, so that it comes back down. I routinely set it 700 to 750 to cook steaks. I also love cooking pizza on it. I have already upgraded the unit with a cast iron cooking grate, added a stainless container to catch any grease. Important when cooking chicken. For pizza, I use a pizza stone that is preheated with the grill, and usually at least 10 minutes more so the heat soaks in. For smoking I use a 590 and have a 5 1/2 lb pastrami smoking now. Up to 174 internal, hoping its finished by 5:30 so it can rest before dinner.

I also have the same question as the OP. I'm looking for an everyday grill. I have an Oklahoma Joe's Bronco, Blackstone and a failing Masterbuilt Gravity. Need something for those quick weeknight cooks, burgers etc. Does the Bullseye add any flavor vs a gas grill?

New on this forum. I'm trying to decide between the two 380s. Like to hear from you. What's the 380x best at cooking using the high temp for? Pizza? Searing? Or is it just better because of the upgraded features? I want to justify the higher price. Thanks!
Hello, I was in your position too and I went with the 380x and have no regrets And so glad I did. The WiFi feature is just so convenient. I started a pork butt before going to bed and simply checked on it by rolling over and looking at my phone. I was thinking it was a splurge I didn’t really need but caught the 380x on sale. Don‘t discount the WiFi feature, it really makes a big difference. Controlling temp up and down via the app is terrific. I smoked some Italian sausages recently and was 10 miles from home and knew exactly where things stood.

I have used a 380 for about a month, it was a friends and the auger was stuck. Told her that I would fix it while she was out of the country. Loved it to do the "grilling" stuff. Held temp fairly well if you don't open the lid. Had to give it back :( soooooo....I bought the 380X at the last scratch and dent sale and ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! Biggest difference is it is a little taller, the ability to hold tight temps and recover quickly when having the lid open and wifi. I use it to do a lot of small cooking like casseroles, pizza and side dishes now instead of my RT-700. Have done steaks with the sear grates with great success on the X. I run a 50/50 mix of charcoal pellets and ultilmate blend. It doesn't use as many pellets to do the same cook as the 700. I actually had both the X and 700 rolling the other night. The X had the steaks and the 700 had asparagus, sweet 'taters and spaghetti squash.

With all that being said I recommend the B380X if you have the ability. The B380 is a great little griller in it's own right and does a great job. But the upgrades in my mind are worth it.

I also have the same question as the OP. I'm looking for an everyday grill. I have an Oklahoma Joe's Bronco, Blackstone and a failing Masterbuilt Gravity. Need something for those quick weeknight cooks, burgers etc. Does the Bullseye add any flavor vs a gas grill?
It does because of the wood pellets. I use 50/50 mix of ultimate pellets and charcoal pellets. I calibrated the temp probe so 350* (where I will do most of my cooking on it) is actually 350*.

Worth the upgrade. Ash dump alone saves time. I use the Amazon 16 lb iron grates and stones for pizza. Only fire rotisserie attachment has ability to cook 2 pizzas at the same time. 550 to 600F for 15 minutes usually about right for me.
Rotisserie pork butt is killer too. More juicy as expected.

20230511_174402.jpg

20230511_174320.jpg

20230511_174312.jpg

20230512_184918.jpg

Can't find that char-broil grate listed anywhere - where'd you get it?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back