Riot mode for rt-700

Why doesn’t the RT-700 have riot mode?
You know, that's a good question.

I have been toying with the idea of installing a PID bypass so the auger would run 100% but that could lead to problems if forgotten.

What would you use it for and what temps would you like to see?

That is a legit question.. I'm curious. I hit 547 on mine day 1 and actually started to get nervous that was too much and backed off. I usually don't cook over 500 most times unless I'm searing where the Weber comes in handy for the finish. At those temps is a pellet grill adding any value?

It would be used for searing only. Maybe a 20 or 30 minutes auto shut off to keep it from burning on riot long term?

It would be used for searing only. Maybe a 20 or 30 minutes auto shut off to keep it from burning on riot long term?

Ok.. I guess then I'm not sure what the advantage is over the ability of what it does already. It might be my experience but with 550 and searing plates my thoughts are that is pretty damn good. But again.. I guess others sear hotter from the question. I have some learning to do apparently :). Or the shutdown concerns. Not sure that is what you are asking about riot mode. I don't have a Bullseye so not familiar with Riot mode.

What temps do you want to see?

Ok.. I guess then I'm not sure what the advantage is over the ability of what it does already. It might be my experience but with 550 and searing plates my thoughts are that is pretty damn good. But again.. I guess others sear hotter from the question. I have some learning to do apparently :). Or the shutdown concerns. Not sure that is what you are asking about riot mode. I don't have a Bullseye so not familiar with Riot mode.

What temps do you want to see?
If I could hit 500 degrees I'd be a happy camper. More often than not hitting 350 is a challenge and a long wait.

I purchased the Bullseye to take the place of my Weber kettle for searing and fast cooks. So far, I've been happy with the results.

If I could hit 500 degrees I'd be a happy camper. More often than not hitting 350 is a challenge and a long wait.

I purchased the Bullseye to take the place of my Weber kettle for searing and fast cooks. So far, I've been happy with the results.

not a problem to hit 500.. I turned it down at 547

5DF3AF30-0413-4E84-A10B-7B60DABF68E2.jpeg

I have the earlier controller on Frankenstein. I wonder if we're back to the firmware thing again??

Not sure.. I'm running a test now. It is 27 deg F in the sun where my weather stations is. My Bull was inside the basement and I pulled it out. Temp is 45 at 10:30 AM EST start & put on full in shade other side of house. Will see what happens.

I'll ck my FW when this test is complete.

And this is with the lid sealed all around & no blanket

Last edited:
Not sure.. I'm running a test now. It is 27 deg F in the sun where my weather stations is. My Bull was inside the basement and I pulled it out. Temp is 45 at 10:30 AM EST start & put on full in shade other side of house. Will see what happens.

I'll ck my FW when this test is complete.
I know how to get the firmware rev on the Bullseye but how do you do it with this controller???

I know how to get the firmware rev on the Bullseye but how do you do it with this controller???

I thought you just go into settings and it should be that first screen? I have not done anything other than ever just power it up and connect to wifi. I have not had any reason to but I'll see.

I thought you just go into settings and it should be that first screen? I have not done anything other than ever just power it up and connect to wifi. I have not had any reason to but I'll see.
I'll check.

Well I assume with the cold temps and wind chills near 20 it was a struggle to hit 500.. Most I got was 491 after 65 min. I don't have more time nor do I want to burn more for now. Part of the reason I use the Weber for searing as it comes up quicker and can have ready by the time my cook on the Bull is done.

Not sure how quickly the Bullseye comes up in these temps.

3ADC9F2B-3FAE-478E-9D22-0AFCC549D620.jpeg

232B02CE-BC6B-444F-8339-54835930D72C.png
C81309D3-694E-4906-B6F3-D0AD61DB38FE.png

I have gotten real lazy. I hate to even mess with charcoal when the pellets are so clean :cool:

Stan. This morning after cooking bacon on the griddle at 400 I ran the controller up to 500. After 30 minutes it stalled at 498. It was ~42 and a little windy. I was using Pit Boss Competition pellets. What pellets do you use? 65 minutes is about the same as mine.

Last edited:
Stan. This morning after cooking bacon on the griddle at 400 I ran the controller up to 500. After 30 minutes it stalled at 498. It was ~42 and a little windy. I was using Pit Master Competition pellets. What pellets do you use? 65 minutes is about the same as mine.

Hey Kennth.. I was using Pit Boss Competition Blend pellets during this one. It was cold out there.

I haven't used my Weber gas in years, maybe I should.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back