RecTeq App Not Showing List of Wifi Connections

WonderMonkey

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
When setting up my new Rec Teq (yay me!) app on my Android, I could not get a list of wifi connections when following the directions. This problem was solved so I want to capture it here for future searchers. I have no idea if this issue shows up and is solved the same way on a non-Android.

The general directions for setting up the app are here: https://www.recteq.com/wifi-setup

When following the directions you come to a point where you are supposed to choose a wifi connection, yet none are listed! What? How can that be, you know yours is up and running and heck, your neighbors can be viewed as a connection as well! The solution to my problem was that I did not have Location Services turned on for my phone. Why is this required? No idea, but I could not get beyond this step until I turned it on.

To Turn On Location Services <- My phone anyway, hit google if yours does not match
Settings -> In the search bar look for 'Location' (no quote) -> Choose Location -> Slide button to the right to turn on

'Location' was actually in the 'Privacy' section on my phone.

I went back to my Rec Teq app and the list of wifi connections was there.

An additional note is that I had to use my 2.4 GHz instead of the 5 GHz connection. This is kindof a known issue and in the app it even has a warning symbol near the 5 ghz connections and says there could be problems with them.

I had this issue as well but it was not resolved in the manner you described. I updated my app and it then started to show the list of possible wifi connections.

The hardest part I had was getting into my router settings to broadcast both the 2.4 and 5 GHz separate. Once that was complete setup was a breeze.

@Sully1546 glad you brought that in. Maybe if someone has an issue and finds this thread your solution will work where mine won't.

However, Rec Teq's support was excellent and helped me solve my issue. For people stumbling around the internet, this thread may help.

An additional note is that I had to use my 2.4 GHz instead of the 5 GHz connection. This is kindof a known issue and in the app it even has a warning symbol near the 5 ghz connections and says there could be problems with them.
I wouldn't call it an issue. It's that way by design - the grill does not have a 5 GHz radio. This has been discussed at length in the forum. There are reasons why, and they aren't exclusive to Recteq grills.

I wouldn't call it an issue. It's that way by design - the grill does not have a 5 GHz radio. This has been discussed at length in the forum. There are reasons why, and they aren't exclusive to Recteq grills.
Ah, thanks. It showed up in the list of connections probably because my phone can do 5 GHz.

I think I read somewhere that the board used in the Rec Teq's are used on several other grills, and that is probably why. I'm sure that was well known if that's the case. Either way, I like the app interface so far.

Ah, thanks. It showed up in the list of connections probably because my phone can do 5 GHz.

I think I read somewhere that the board used in the Rec Teq's are used on several other grills, and that is probably why. I'm sure that was well known if that's the case. Either way, I like the app interface so far.
The explanation is even simpler: 5 GHz wifi doesn't travel as far as 2.4 GHz and range/performance is significantly reduced by walls, floors, etc. This means it would be *extremely* limited for use outdoors where a grill would be used. (Many customers need an extender even with 2.4 GHz.) Many other "smart home" products are also 2.4 GHz only, so it's not unique to these grills. In addition, these devices don't pass much data or need much bandwidth where 5 GHz would be a benefit.

TL;DR - there's zero technical need for 5 GHz on RT grills.

The more pertinent thought would be making it easier for end-users to setup the connection.

The explanation is even simpler: 5 GHz wifi doesn't travel as far as 2.4 GHz and range/performance is significantly reduced by walls, floors, etc. This means it would be *extremely* limited for use outdoors where a grill would be used. (Many customers need an extender even with 2.4 GHz.) Many other "smart home" products are also 2.4 GHz only, so it's not unique to these grills. In addition, these devices don't pass much data or need much bandwidth where 5 GHz would be a benefit.

The more pertinent thought would be making it easier for end-users to setup the connection.

Makes perfect sense! And yes, if they made it easier or eliminated the 5 GHz from the list, it would cause less stress and reduced phone calls. If I remember right, it said something along the lines of "may not work correctly" or to the same effect where it could be way more clear.

Someone that stumbles across this thread will get a few nuggets of good information, thanks for the explanation(s).

Agree

To be clear...does the network broadcast have to be ON in order for the grill to "see" the network? Why can't I type in the network name like I do for every other wireless device that I have?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back