Bull Radically different probe readings

JamesB

I had problems a couple of months ago with one my two rt700 probes providing ridiculously erratic numbers. Called customer service and they promptly sent me a replacement. Now the older one is doing the same thing. I’m wondering about the useful life span of these probes.

I have logged about sixty cooks with my Bull in the last 16 months. Are the probes just not expected to have a longer useful/accurate life expectancy?

Threadcutter is spot on there. I only use the RT controller to turn it on/off and adjust the temps up or down. The rest of that hardware is more or less useless. Once you accept that fact and utilize a quality aftermarket temp reporting system, cooking will be much more fun and relaxing.

Threadcutter is spot on there. I only use the RT controller to turn it on/off and adjust the temps up or down. The rest of that hardware is more or less useless. Once you accept that fact and utilize a quality aftermarket temp reporting system, cooking will be much more fun and relaxing.
I started this journey about a year and a half ago, so I am by no means an expert.

When I initially started with the 700/Bull, I had no idea that RT had put such long time constant smoothing filters into their (temperature) software. I spent a lot of time chasing temperatures, trying to "get everything evened out" in regard to the set temperature vs. indicated temperature of the barrel vs. indicated temperature of the meat. But, I was always impressed that when the RT/700 temp had settled out, the display indicated 225 degrees for the same setpoint. Took a while to get there, but once it did, it appeared to settle in nicely.

I'm kind of a gadget junkie and have no problem buying good "tools". After reading one of @Jim6820's post about the "Thermoworks Signals", I went ahead and bought one. (It's all your fault Jim :ROFLMAO:). Couldn't be happier. All of a sudden, my temps made sense and I wasn't having to chase temps around anymore.

Since using the Signals unit, I have found that once the barrel temperature stabilizes, the RT/700 indicated temperature very closely lines up with the Signals unit. Where they really diverge is when temps are changing dynamically. They can contradict each other by as much as 30 degrees. Is that a big deal ? No. I don't really care about anything other than a well regulated steady state temperature.

Coming around full circle, it's kind of funny because I no longer chase/look at temps like I used to. I do only look at the Signals temps for a couple of reasons, mostly convenience. To me, there's no benefit in hooking up probes to/from two different controllers. It's easier to just look at all temps on the 4 channel Signals unit.

I don't open the RT app very much any more. That's particularly true if I'm right by the grill during a cook. If I want to make a temp change. I set my beer down, walk over to the grill and turn the knob. Conversely, if I'm in the house, I might open the RT app and change the temp remotely, but that's not often.

There has been talk here recently about "Combustion Inc." units. I'm interested in what they have to offer. But, I'm going to wait to purchase. My cooking ability is improving and I may not need any additional features/capabilities than what the Signals unit offers. But, there is the "Gadget Junkie" side of me.........

Oh, and what has been the single most beneficial thing I have learned along the way ?
Definitely, it's been to (at the end of a cook) put the meat in a cooler, wrapped/covered by a towel and let it rest for at least 30 to 60 minutes. ;)

Last edited:
I started this journey about a year and a half ago, so I am by no means an expert.

When I initially started with the 700/Bull, I had no idea that RT had put such long time constant smoothing filters into their (temperature) software. I spent a lot of time chasing temperatures, trying to "get everything evened out" in regard to the set temperature vs. indicated temperature of the barrel vs. indicated temperature of the meat. But, I was always impressed that when the RT/700 temp had settled out, the display indicated 225 degrees for the same setpoint. Took a while to get there, but once it did, it appeared to settle in nicely.

I'm kind of a gadget junkie and have no problem buying good "tools". After reading one of @Jim6820's post about the "Thermoworks Signals", I went ahead and bought one. (It's all your fault Jim :ROFLMAO:). Couldn't be happier. All of a sudden, my temps made sense and I wasn't having to chase temps around anymore.

Since using the Signals unit, I have found that once the barrel temperature stabilizes, the RT/700 indicated temperature very closely lines up with the Signals unit. Where they really diverge is when temps are changing dynamically. They can contradict each other by as much as 30 degrees. Is that a big deal ? No. I don't really care about anything other than a well regulated steady state temperature.

Coming around full circle, it's kind of funny because I no longer chase/look at temps like I used to. I do only look at the Signals temps for a couple of reasons, mostly convenience. To me, there's no benefit in hooking up probes to/from two different controllers. It's easier to just look at all temps on the 4 channel Signals unit.

I don't open the RT app very much any more. That's particularly true if I'm right by the grill during a cook. If I want to make a temp change. I set my beer down, walk over to the grill and turn the knob. Conversely, if I'm in the house, I might open the RT app and change the temp remotely, but that's not often.

There has been talk here recently about "Combustion Inc." units. I'm interested in what they have to offer. But, I'm going to wait to purchase. My cooking ability is improving and I may not need any additional features/capabilities than what the Signals unit offers. But, there is the "Gadget Junkie" side of me.........

Oh, and what has been the single most beneficial thing I have learned along the way ?
Definitly, it's been to (at the end of a cook) put the meat in a cooler, wrapped/covered by a towel and let it rest for at least 30 to 60 minutes. ;)
Why do you set your beer down? 🤣

I’ll accept the blame if I can blame you the next time the Household Treasurer finds out I bought another new “tool” that had not been previously approved! :ROFLMAO:
Accepted. :)

Under one condition; You need to tell us all about it, how well it works and how you like it ;)

Rumor has it that Combustion Inc. will be coming out with a WiFi-enabled version in the near future; the current model is Bluetooth. That might be worth waiting for, though the newest extended-range Bluetooth version of the CI probe may meet nearly all of my needs with its several hundred foot range.

I like the wireless probe concept for when I use the rotisserie on my gasser. My SIL loaned me his Meater probe for my last rotisserie cook and it worked pretty well. What I’d really like is to see a thinner probe so that the protein doesn’t look like it was in a firefight involving assault weapons. :rolleyes:

Rumor has it that Combustion Inc. will be coming out with a WiFi-enabled version in the near future; the current model is Bluetooth. That might be worth waiting for, though the newest extended-range Bluetooth version of the CI probe may meet nearly all of my needs with its several hundred foot range.

I like the wireless probe concept for when I use the rotisserie on my gasser. My SIL loaned me his Meater probe for my last rotisserie cook and it worked pretty well. What I’d really like is to see a thinner probe so that the protein doesn’t look like it was in a firefight involving assault weapons. :rolleyes:
Did I see where CI was coming out with a probe setup that will do "predictive" cook times like the Meater does ? Or, maybe CI already has that (?). I sure like that feature on my Meater.

My druthers would be WiFi, in lieu of Bluetooth. I have a Netgear Orbi WiFi setup that works quite well and it has good range. Bluetooth, not so much. I most likely would not do remote controlled cooks, so that part of WiFi doesn't really matter to me.

Did I see where CI was coming out with a probe setup that will do "predictive" cook times like the Meater does ? Or, maybe CI already has that (?). I sure like that feature on my Meater.

My druthers would be WiFi, in lieu of Bluetooth. I have a Netgear Orbi WiFi setup that works quite well and it has good range. Bluetooth, not so much. I most likely would not do remote controlled cooks, so that part of WiFi doesn't really matter to me.
Yes, I believe the CI units are predictive. @Greg Jones is a beta tester of the CI units and would have more information than I would.

After reading multiple comments about using a separate and independent, multi-probe, tool to monitor meat temperatures, I went with the ThermoPro four probe unit. Three of the four probes seem to track each other consistently, but the fourth…. Not so much. I’ve googled how to calibrate the probes with no success. Any thoughts on the accuracy of that particular brand?

On the other hand, I full acknowledge that the overall problem may be yours truly. After all, my resume accurately reports that I cannot operate small mechanical or electronic devises.

There’s certainly the possibility that one of the probes is bad, or that one of the ports on the receiver is bad. Have you swapped the probes around to see if the results change? If they do, contact ThermoPro or the seller (if not ThermoPro directly) and ask for a replacement probe.

I’m not sure which model ThermoPro you have, but you might look at their Support web site for calibration procedures. https://thermopro.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/categories/360003170453-Product-Help

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back