Prime Rib, just a little different

jonny_comfort

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
So I wanted to try something a little different for prime rib. I was hugely happy with the results.

When I get prime rib, I have a local butcher shop. I asked them to cut the bones and tie them back on. The guy cut the bones most of the way off. Super easy to remove after cooking.

So what's different? Glad you asked. First, I used W sauce as a binder. Matt at Meat Church has a video where he does this. For seasoning, I used nothing more than garlic parmesan. I know, I know, not quite what you think of when you think of prime rib. Follow me on this, it was fantastic and not the same old same old.

Coat with W sauce, a little goes a long way. Then, coat with garlic parmesan seasoning. That's it. Let the smoke roll, I set the temp at 225 and let it roll. Now, this next part is personal preference. Call me crazy, but I don't like my prime rib as rare as is typical. So, instead of smoking until that 115-120 IT, I let mine run until 135 IT. When I pulled it off, I let it rest for about 20 minutes or so. This was far and away the best prime rib I've ever had. Tastes will vary, so you might not be as big a fan as I am. But if you're looking to try something a little different this year, feel free to give it a shot. The pic looks more red than what it actually came out like. It was so juicy that no one used any au jus. I'll definitely make this one again soon. If you try it please let me know what you think, thanks.

prime rib smoked.jpg

I'll tell you one thing... you're braver than me. I tend to not mess with tried and true on prime rib or even brisket. Maybe some day if I somehow become independently wealthy, but for now I'd be pretty disappointed with an expensive "fail".

It's an interesting idea for sure. Thanks for sharing.

So I wanted to try something a little different for prime rib. I was hugely happy with the results.

When I get prime rib, I have a local butcher shop. I asked them to cut the bones and tie them back on. The guy cut the bones most of the way off. Super easy to remove after cooking.

So what's different? Glad you asked. First, I used W sauce as a binder. Matt at Meat Church has a video where he does this. For seasoning, I used nothing more than garlic parmesan. I know, I know, not quite what you think of when you think of prime rib. Follow me on this, it was fantastic and not the same old same old.

Coat with W sauce, a little goes a long way. Then, coat with garlic parmesan seasoning. That's it. Let the smoke roll, I set the temp at 225 and let it roll. Now, this next part is personal preference. Call me crazy, but I don't like my prime rib as rare as is typical. So, instead of smoking until that 115-120 IT, I let mine run until 135 IT. When I pulled it off, I let it rest for about 20 minutes or so. This was far and away the best prime rib I've ever had. Tastes will vary, so you might not be as big a fan as I am. But if you're looking to try something a little different this year, feel free to give it a shot. The pic looks more red than what it actually came out like. It was so juicy that no one used any au jus. I'll definitely make this one again soon. If you try it please let me know what you think, thanks.

View attachment 20784
Okay, I hope this isn't a prank. Can you get very specific on the Parm/Garlic seasoning you used? I mean brand and label type specific.
I too saw the meat church recipe using the W sauce as a binder and was planning on giving it a try.

More info please.

v/r r

Okay, I hope this isn't a prank. Can you get very specific on the Parm/Garlic seasoning you used? I mean brand and label type specific.
I too saw the meat church recipe using the W sauce as a binder and was planning on giving it a try.

More info please.

v/r r
Hiya,

No, I promise this is not a prank. That would be rather messed up.

I actually mixed up my own, using garlic powder and grated parmesan cheese. I don't have measurements to give you, I started out 50-50 and added a little extra garlic to taste, and that was it. I applied it fairly heavily, since only the outside of the meat will have any of the seasoning on it. I prefer my garlic parmesan to actually taste like garlic and parmesan, some of them are way too strong on the garlic.

An observation, I didnt go heavy on the W sauce binder, I used the same as I would on ribs or brisket there. But there was just a hint of flavor in the end from the sauce. It was a good surprise, usually you cannot taste the binder like that. To me, it couldnt have come out any better. Really looking forward to doing it again, but the thing is, I had relatives come from out of state when I made this. In particular, prime rib is my mom's favorite. My wife and kids are not big on it and they didnt eat it. No worries, with the twice smoked ham and all the rest, no one went hungry, I promise. So, for me to do this again, I need to have guests, because otherwise, I'm the only one in the house eating it. But it was absolutely worth it and I'm absolutely using this recipe from now on.

More info please.

v/r r
The garlic powder was just plain old garlic powder, and the grated parmesan was from a block of parmesan cheese. I don't prefer the store bought grated cheeses, they usually have cellulose in them.

Some questions

Did you use the cooking temp that grill read or use another thermometer to make sure it was 225 at the meat?

What size was it and how long did it take. I need some time reference to know when to start cooking

Did you use a drip pan or just set it on the grate?

Thanks

Hey everyone. so on the sear.... my seasonings end up covering maybe 1/2 of the prime.
I don't think it got big like an angry hulk. There's some kinda shrinkage going on.
Anyone got a trick to keep the whole thing covered in rub to the end?

I went with trimmed and trussed beef tenderloin (low and slow then cranked up the heat to sizzle for the last ~5 mins) this year.

Turned out as expected with an awesome smoke ring (a bit more "done" than I prefer, because my sister-in-law required less color (we tossed her the ENDS lol).

I went with trimmed and trussed beef tenderloin (low and slow then cranked up the heat to sizzle for the last ~5 mins) this year.

Turned out as expected with an awesome smoke ring (a bit more "done" than I prefer, because my sister-in-law required less color (we tossed her the ENDS lol).
Hey, I like the end cuts too...when I can get them with the interior still mostly medium rare. Yes, it can be done! The end cuts are where all the seasoning and seared flavor is! Your sister-in-law may be smarter than you think. :ROFLMAO:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back