Bullseye Questions about Bullseye use

Mannydog

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
I finally took the plunge and added an RT-B380 Bullseye to my outdoor arsenal! Got the email today that it's on it's way (please be intact with no damage). While I'm anxiously waiting I have a few questions for the collective wisdom of the forum. Please pardon my ignorance if these sound dumb - I have lots of "duh" moments every day but am willing to learn!
1. Does the Bullseye firepot basically sit flush with the bottom of the grill chamber, or is it raised a bit? Seems if it is flush this might contribute to the grease fire issues I've read about. This is in contrast to their other smokers where the firepot is raised considerably above the chamber floor.
And if this is part of the problem, are there any workaround solutions? Or just keep the darn thing as grease-free as possible?

2. Anyone ever try to modify the vents on the Bullseye by "gently widening" the opening of some of them to prevent (or at least slow) grease buildup and gunk blocking the vents? Or would that hurt the air flow and grill function? In my uneducated guess, since RT already added more vents in this second model, perhaps widening the mouth of some of the vents wouldn't affect function very much, but could help with the frequent blockage issue.

3. Does anyone add high-heat gasket material like Lavalock around the Bullseye upper lid or lower part of the chamber to help with grease dripping from the top? Guessing this may not be necessary, nor advisable since they (usually) include a spacer to maintain airflow. But always easier to do when it's new, so figured I'd ask.

Thanks for all your help! Can't wait to get my new toy and fire it up!

I finally took the plunge and added an RT-B380 Bullseye to my outdoor arsenal! Got the email today that it's on it's way (please be intact with no damage). While I'm anxiously waiting I have a few questions for the collective wisdom of the forum. Please pardon my ignorance if these sound dumb - I have lots of "duh" moments every day but am willing to learn!
1. Does the Bullseye firepot basically sit flush with the bottom of the grill chamber, or is it raised a bit? Seems if it is flush this might contribute to the grease fire issues I've read about. This is in contrast to their other smokers where the firepot is raised considerably above the chamber floor.
And if this is part of the problem, are there any workaround solutions? Or just keep the darn thing as grease-free as possible?
Firepot is raised above the grill housing bottom. Don't cook real greasy food. You may have a fire or a grease puddle.
2. Anyone ever try to modify the vents on the Bullseye by "gently widening" the opening of some of them to prevent (or at least slow) grease buildup and gunk blocking the vents? Or would that hurt the air flow and grill function? In my uneducated guess, since RT already added more vents in this second model, perhaps widening the mouth of some of the vents wouldn't affect function very much, but could help with the frequent blockage issue.
I wouldn't do it till the warranty has expired. I kind of like the Weber 3 hole adjustment.
3. Does anyone add high-heat gasket material like Lavalock around the Bullseye upper lid or lower part of the chamber to help with grease dripping from the top? Guessing this may not be necessary, nor advisable since they (usually) include a spacer to maintain airflow. But always easier to do when it's new, so figured I'd ask.
I didn't see a reason to add a gasket when the lid isn't a tight fit and there's vents in the lid.
Thanks for all your help! Can't wait to get my new toy and fire it up!
I'm sure you will enjoy it ! Hopefully others will jump in with their thoughts.

Firepot is raised above the grill housing bottom. Don't cook real greasy food. You may have a fire or a grease puddle.

I wouldn't do it till the warranty has expired. I kind of like the Weber 3 hole adjustment.

I didn't see a reason to add a gasket when the lid isn't a tight fit and there's vents in the lid.

I'm sure you will enjoy it ! Hopefully others will jump in with their thoughts.
Thank you, Chris! That helps.

If you are going to grill a long cook on the Bullseye set a drip pan on top of the Flame Deflector to catch majority of the grease. The only long cook I have done on my Bullseye is ribs and I used a pan. For hot dogs, hamburgers, fast grill chicken wings, steaks, etc I don't use the pan.

1. It is raised just a bit which I am sure is by design. I do mostly high heat cooks so while some things are greasey, they burn off right away. The few times I've done low and slow - I used a drip tray. I got one of those stainless steel ones made for green eggs. It works well.

2. I haven't done anything but sometimes I clean the vents.

3. You definitely do NOT want to do this. Having some air flow around the rim helps with achieving high temps. You need that air flow.

One trick I should mention I do is if I am doing burgers and the flames are raging.....turn the grill down to low and wait till the fan goes off/on. You can flip the burgers while the fan is off. Just something I do.

Thanks for all the helpful tips and feedback. Like many others do this will likely be used just for my quicker high heat cooks, so hopefully not as much grease dripping overall. And good to know there aren't really any mods needed or recommended. Can't wait to get it!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
I smell smoke
Back