Bullseye Questions for Bullseye Owners

Imshasta

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Hi Bullseye Owners, I own a 590 and love it. My son is graduating medical school and has mentioned in passing he'd like a smoker and I thought I might surprise him with a Bullseye, because it seems to be the smallest. Most likely, he will be living in an apartment during his residency.
Will this fit on an apartment balcony?
Is this a smoker or just a grill?
Do the legs fold like the smallest Traeger (I hate Traegers)?
Lastly, do you enjoy yours, assuming this is a smoker?
Thank you so much!

Hi Bullseye Owners, I own a 590 and love it. My son is graduating medical school and has mentioned in passing he'd like a smoker and I thought I might surprise him with a Bullseye, because it seems to be the smallest. Most likely, he will be living in an apartment during his residency.
Thank you so much!
Will fit on a balcony, it's small. It's a pellet grill/smoker but can hit high temps as well.

The legs do not fold, but there are some aftermarket accessories to make it more portable.

Love mine - use it mostly for things I'd do on a gas grill though. I have a big RT-700 for the long/slow cooks since it has a huge hopper and tons of grill space.

Thank you so much!
It is primarily a grill aimed at hotter cooking, but it can do low and slow. The biggest thing for slow & low cooking is to get a 3rd party multi-probe thermometer that has an ambient temp probe so you can accurately track temps.

The legs on the Trailblazer 340 fold up. It is very portable and moves around easily. I keep mine in the garage and roll out for cooking each time. It has WIFI controller. It's 10x the grill as the Bullseye.

The legs on the Trailblazer 340 fold up. It is very portable and moves around easily. I keep mine in the garage and roll out for cooking each time. It has WIFI controller. It's 10x the grill as the Bullseye.
Thank you for the info. I was so unhappy with my Traeger and am hesitant to get one for my son, but I'll check it out again. Portable and small are the key for him.

It is primarily a grill aimed at hotter cooking, but it can do low and slow. The biggest thing for slow & low cooking is to get a 3rd party multi-probe thermometer that has an ambient temp probe so you can accurately track temps.
Shoot, I was hoping it was primarily a smoker that could do both. Thank you.

Will fit on a balcony, it's small. It's a pellet grill/smoker but can hit high temps as well.

The legs do not fold, but there are some aftermarket accessories to make it more portable.

Love mine - use it mostly for things I'd do on a gas grill though. I have a big RT-700 for the long/slow cooks since it has a huge hopper and tons of grill space.
Thank you for your reply. I'm looking for a smoker that could be used as a grill. To be frank, he probably won't have much time to do any long smokes, but he loves to cook and loves anything I make on my smoker.

A Weber 18" kettle may be the answer.

Thank you so much!
Congratulations on your sons graduation! I am sure you are proud.

I too have a 590 and love it, I just bought the Bullseye mainly for fast and hot cooking.

My son was home from school over Easter break and was impressed with my newly acquired RT590 and the deliciousness from that.

I talked to him about getting a grill for his apartment, as they have been cooking more in the last year. However they don't allow grills on the balconies in his complex. I would check that first.

There are alot of videos and posts on people using the Bullseye for both.

Congratulations on your sons graduation! I am sure you are proud.

I too have a 590 and love it, I just bought the Bullseye mainly for fast and hot cooking.

My son was home from school over Easter break and was impressed with my newly acquired RT590 and the deliciousness from that.

I talked to him about getting a grill for his apartment, as they have been cooking more in the last year. However they don't allow grills on the balconies in his complex. I would check that first.

There are alot of videos and posts on people using the Bullseye for both.
Thank you so much! I think you're right; I need to wait until he gets his apartment : )

Thank you for your reply. I'm looking for a smoker that could be used as a grill. To be frank, he probably won't have much time to do any long smokes, but he loves to cook and loves anything I make on my smoker.
You can definitely smoke on it, I've done multiple 8+ hour cooks, but it is not a set and forget smoker.

You can definitely smoke on it, I've done multiple 8+ hour cooks, but it is not a set and forget smoker.
Thanks! I would imagine that it would have to be watched more than the larger ones, but that is kind of the fun part, besides the eating!

Thanks! I would imagine that it would have to be watched more than the larger ones, but that is kind of the fun part, besides the eating!
I don't have experience with the bigger ones, but that's the impression I've gotten between here and facebook.

Congrats! IMO the Bullseye is a great starter pellet grill with a lot of flexibility! For the price point it does a great job. If he can have a grill at his apt this would make a great gift. Exactly what I got our son when he graduated last year.

Thank you so much!
Please check his local laws and apartment regulations, along with the patio. Our city allows electric grills, but NO gas or charcoal. Our apartment has a fire water sprayer on the patio, and the Bullseye can get very hot. It may be more beneficial to get the 340 and some sear plates until he gets a larger place to cook. I also have a 590 and decided to leave my bullseye in the box until our house is finished, because of the sprayer above the patio. Tell your son congrats on the graduation and do not believe the naysayers. "SMOKE IS GOOD".

The Bullseye would be perfect for him. I use mine way more than my RT-700. Just make sure the apartment will allow grilling/smoke. Some are snobs.

Thank you so much!
I have the RT 340 and it does have folding legs. It is designed to be a portable grill but it still good size. You can smoke, grill and even bake if you wish. It also has a 20lb hopper. You should be careful about using a smoker at an apartment complex as the others that live there may complain about the smoke. It can be intense at times.

I have the 590 and the Bullseye. I use both to smoke and only the Bullseye to grill. The only thing I would say is that this smoker gets very hot. And the comments above indicated that this is not a set it and forget it. If he's grilling on it, it's not going to smoke but it will be intensely hot. If he's smoking on it the bullseye gives off a lot of smoke. I wonder how his neighbors would feel about that much smoke coming from his balcony. And the smell of the smoke gets into the house if your windows and doors are open. Don't get me wrong, I love walking outside to the smell of my smokers. Just not in my house.

We live in the hills of Southern California (high fire zone). I often wonder what some of our neighbors must think when there's so much smoke coming from my backyard.

Yeah the heat output can be problematic if there's a sprinkler head on the patio/balcony. My patio has a ceiling fan and the convective currents from heat of the bullseye will make it spin.

@Imshasta
I am still using the Bullseye and 590 to lure my son home for fresh meat! :ROFLMAO: Cooking a brisket for Mothers Day and will send him back to school with some!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back