Question on trimming a brisket

tribunal88

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I've smoked points and flats separately, but for Super Bowl this year I planned on just doing the whole thing. My wife asked if I could trim down the fat between the point and flat before smoking it to make it leaner (she's a dietitian by trade). Is this a bad idea? Will this dry things out too much or otherwise negatively impact the meat flavor?

Just my opinion, if you’re going to do that you may as well separate the point and flat and trim accordingly. I’ve over trimmed before and shortened my cook time… a little. Really didn’t notice a difference in my finished product.

A lot of what you’re asking depends on your process. Time, temp, wrap or no wrap? Lots of variables…

Matt at Meat Church has a burnt ends video where he trims the fat between the point and flat that may help with your decision.

I’ve done that once-didn’t care for the result and didn’t care to try it again. Probably better to try what @BigDan suggests and separate them. Frankly, my suggestion these days is to buy brisket when it is at or under $3.00 a pound, separate the point and the flat, trim out the fat seam to make tallow, then grind the beef and make great brisket ground beef. Buy some Pichana, plate ribs, or Prime rib roast when you want the best beef cut on your smoker. Outside skirt has plenty of potential also. Not all are a popular opinion I realize, but it is what we like these days.

Last edited:
Well, I’ve cut the fat pocket out a couple of times but found it not worth the effort. I try to select briskets with as small a fat pocket as possible and cook as-is, doing any needed trimming when slicing as I usually separate the point and flat at that point anyway.

I watched multiple videos on trimming brisket and I think it was an Aaron Franklin video where he recommended trimming that fat out. And for me it works great it allows the brisket to lay more flat and my results have been that the two temperatures flat and point track more evenly through the cook. Of course with other trims made as well

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back