Stampede Question before I sell my 590 and get a stick burner

Have a 2 yr old 590, have had a number of mechanical issues with it but support has always come through extremely well.

My question though is regarding performance.

After dozens of cooks, all sorts of meats, mostly RT wood blend pellets, and every recipe and technique I can find on this forum and others, my opinion of the 590 is that its really just a big oven that produces a tiny bit of smoke. I have tried low temps, 225-250, long hours, varying temps and hours, butcher paper wraps, you name it. But never any serious bark unless I leave meat on so long it just dries out. Different pellets, dual smoker tubes, you name it and I have tried it.

Have cooked big box meats, custom meats and cuts, a huge variety of things but at the prices we have to pay these days, I am just not happy and looking for any advice as to what I may not have yet tried or if that's just the way a 590 cooks.

Honestly, I get better bark and flavor cooking on my gas grill with two smoker tubes than the 590. Yes, the wi-fi and set it and leave it is great, but not for what I end up with.

Any suggestions or thoughts before I put this thing up for sale and move on? BTW, live in FL where temp and high humidity are constants.

Thanks in advance
Yeah, I would use it for a boat anchor, if I were you! My 2 year old RT-590 is just collecting dust in the corner of my garage. I can't even sell it around here. I hate to throw $1300 on the dump but it's in my way. I won't even give it to charity because it would be cruel.

As an addendum to my earlier post. The offset smoker guys would brag about their cookers and how much smoke they could impart until someone like me shows up with a true vertical. As the saying goes, smoke rises and you can’t get better saturation unless you use a vertical. No way, no how. In my opinion. At the end of the day, you get out of it what you put in to it. I’ve been fooled by gassers with smoke generators and I’ve been tricked by a 300 gallon offset I used to own that was barely better than the RT700 with a properly placed smoketube. It really came down to physics, knowledge, and how they are applied. My favorite story for comparison was years ago I was riding competitively on the cycling circuit. During the El Tour de Tucson ~119 mile race, I thought I was doing well on a rig built by my sponsor that cost about $4,500 (which was a lot in 1987). At around the 60 mile point I heard a lot of chain gnashing and gear grinding and a guy on a modified Shwinn/Huffy frankenbike zoomed by me like I was standing still. To me it was proof that it’s not the size of the dog, it‘s the size of the heart in the dog. Good luck.

Yeah, I would use it for a boat anchor, if I were you! My 2 year old RT-590 is just collecting dust in the corner of my garage. I can't even sell it around here. I hate to throw $1300 on the dump but it's in my way. I won't even give it to charity because it would be cruel.
You seem to be the only one in this forum that has a non-working 590. The OP didn't say anything about their grill just plain not working, they're discussing about the smoke profile and not being able to achieve the bark they desire, some of which may be technique so people have been providing some great advice.
You come along posting all your negative posts about how your grill doesn't work for 2 years, you know they have a warranty, right?

Here's your contributions to the forum, wow!!!

Why are you even here, oh that's right a typical troll

troll GIF

Last edited:
@Lucky Bull I foster wayward grills. Feel free to ship your grill to me. As a courtesy, I will tell you what I did to fix it. Let me know shipping costs.

@Lucky Bull I foster wayward grills. Feel free to ship your grill to me. As a courtesy, I will tell you what I did to fix it. Let me know shipping costs.
I thought of another possible strategy. We have one friend with a questionable 590 problem. We have another with fake firmware upgrade advice. What if they work together to fix the the problem? Maybe he just needs a firmware fix??? :unsure::ROFLMAO:

I thought of another possible strategy. We have one friend with a questionable 590 problem. We have another with fake firmware upgrade advice. What if they work together to fix the the problem? Maybe he just needs a firmware fix??? :unsure::ROFLMAO:
You know, I think you're on to something.

Have a 2 yr old 590, have had a number of mechanical issues with it but support has always come through extremely well.

After dozens of cooks, all sorts of meats, mostly RT wood blend pellets, and every recipe and technique I can find on this forum and others, my opinion of the 590 is that its really just a big oven that produces a tiny bit of smoke. I have tried low temps, 225-250, long hours, varying temps and hours, butcher paper wraps, you name it. But never any serious bark unless I leave meat on so long it just dries out. Different pellets, dual smoker tubes, you name it and I have tried it.

Have cooked big box meats, custom meats and cuts, a huge variety of things but at the prices we have to pay these days, I am just not happy and looking for any advice as to what I may not have yet tried or if that's just the way a 590 cooks.

Honestly, I get better bark and flavor cooking on my gas grill with two smoker tubes than the 590. Yes, the wi-fi and set it and leave it is great, but not for what I end up with.

Any suggestions or thoughts before I put this thing up for sale and move on? BTW, live in FL where temp and high humidity are constants.

Thanks in advance
If you want to sell it I will take it! Ron, 772 323-4390 text or call ok thanks

Thanks in advance
I have a 700rt. I think because yours is a 590, why would it make a difference in the cook? Temperature is temperature.

As far as smoke, I think the pellet grills just suck. I think you'll never be able to duplicate the true wood smoke flavor of wood chips. I knew this when I bought it though. When you see people using extra smoke tubes on a purchase like this, you know there is something wrong.

But that's not to say I don't like mine. I knew I'd be sacrificing wood smoke flavor for convenience. But to me, it's worth it instead of doing like my friend does and sit next to the stick burner all night babysitting and looking for friends to be miserable with.

I even tried the smoke daddy attachment which was ridiculously expensive and to me, it put out garbage white smoke.

I'd keep it if I were you. You're not going to want to sit there during long cooks. Do you leave it unwrapped toward the end? I don't like doing so just for that reason, it doesn't get good bark. I notice if I do the cook naked it's better. Or if I do the stall wrap, I'll take it back off. You want bark? Trim the cook time down a little and then finish off in your 400° oven.

Thanks in advance
Have you considered a Weber Smokey Mountain? I was going to sell my WSM after getting my 1250 but I can't do it. My pork butt and ribs come out much better on my WSM than on my Recteq. My Recteq reminds me of a restaurant taste but my WSM reminds me of a pro bbq. In many bbq competitions it is very common to see a WSM or 2 for the top 3 winners. I never owned a logger but my friends that have one say they are a pain. I do check my WSM every hour especially on windy days but the end result is worth it. There is a learning curve. A YouTube channel T-roycooks has a ton of videos on WSM that helped me a lot. Best thing about it is no moving parts dependent on electricity and in your case don't have to worry about humidity. After 3-5 cooks you'll thank me if you decide to get one. That is good free advice.

Reactions: Kim
All I can say after reading this entire thread is...Wow! I never knew the level/amount of smoke in meat would be such a devisive issue. Clearly, there is a wide range of smoke that satisfies people across the spectrum of BBQ. Most interesting.

I'll leave you with this...my motto.....If I burp smoke flavor the day after eating the BBQ, that's too much smoke.

Thanks in advance
What were you using prior to the 590?

All I can say after reading this entire thread is...Wow! I never knew the level/amount of smoke in meat would be such a devisive issue. Clearly, there is a wide range of smoke that satisfies people across the spectrum of BBQ. Most interesting.

I'll leave you with this...my motto.....If I burp smoke flavor the day after eating the BBQ, that's too much smoke.

Ha I feel the same way, and I have had BBQ from world famous Black's BBQ and most certainly didn't burp up smoke. I just must be damn good at using my 590, because the smoke profile I get has yet to disappoint me or anyone else eating my BBQ. :)

To me, it is all technique. I have been smoking meats, fish and poultry for more than 30 years. I have had verticals, offset, stick burners, eggs, gassers and pellet poopers and to me if you do not learn the piece of equipment that you own, all of your food will suck!. I do not see much of a difference with any of the smokers that I have owned or currently own concerning the smoke taste. Do some have a bit more bitter bite than others, sure but that is mostly due to dirty smoke and improper use. I cannot eat at a BBQ joint when I see plumes of white smoke coming from their stacks as I will know that there will be a bit of bitterness in each bite. To me, it is all in the magic of the grill master who is running the grill no matter which version it is. If you don't learn your particular grill and experiment a bit then you will never master your trade. I have people asking me to cook protein for them constantly and that is a great feeling knowing that you have mastered your particular equipment.

I have had my 590 for 6 months. Last week I smoked a pork butt, Spare Ribs and a brisket over 3 days. These were my first overnight cooks with the 590. I also have a BGE and prior to that a WSM. I was able to achieve great bark, smoke flavor and a smoke ring.

I think before you judge a pellets grill or any other grill you need to have a basic skill set. Unfortunately many pellet grill owners think they can get great results because of the ease of use factor of the pellet grill. You still need to understand the basics and use the best pellets.

I cannot eat at a BBQ joint when I see plumes of white smoke coming from their stacks as I will know that there will be a bit of bitterness in each bite.
Had a friend with a BBQ biz - rush hour, everybody returning home... he'd light up an empty smoker.
The intersection smelled great, the smoke was visible - it was advertising.

I agree with the concept of ”don’t blame the tool, blame the craftsman/craftswomen/etc., etc., etc”. You can develop different profiles and results based on your ability to create success. As an old school fire-tamer from the eastern coast of NC, I have watched the evolution of grilling for many years and no matter how great the tool, the pitmaster must add some intelligence and finesse or the results will be average at best.

I agree with the concept of ”don’t blame the tool, blame the craftsman/craftswomen/etc., etc., etc”. …
I had a golfing buddy that would buy a new driver about every 3 or 4 months. He’d hit great with it for a couple of weeks and then cuss at it for the next couple of months and then trade it in on a new one.

I had a golfing buddy that would buy a new driver about every 3 or 4 months. He’d hit great with it for a couple of weeks and then cuss at it for the next couple of months and then trade it in on a new one.
Yep. If you were an alien looking down from the sky which one would you say was the real “tool”. haha.

A proper running stick burner produces hardly any visible smoke, what you will see is blue smoke.......exactly what I see on my 590 during an entire cook. I too can't imagine wanting any more smoke flavor than I get now, in many cases folks are getting creosote which is bitter and not a good thing anyways. Have a very good and very popular BBQ joint by my house "Ray Ray's BBQ", and their multiple stick burners are hardly putting any visible smoke out at all, except for when a fresh bit of wood is added.
Moto…
There continues to be a lot of controversy about the blue thin line versus real smoke. Even Jeremy Yoder recently retracted his long standing belief that white smoke is bad or dirty smoke. Being from the Carolinas, we didn’t believe in any particular smoke color or even density. On a hot humid day we let the hardwood roll and on a colder dry morning, we would let it roll harder. Most home g-masters don’t understand placement, draft, circulation and getting the desired results very well. They ”drink the juice” and accept popular views. If you have ever been in a true smoke house where they are curing 40 hams, 3 cows and other proteins at once for days, you will understand the art behind smoking. I personally do both. For fish or other really absorbent meats, I dial back the smoke. For dense meats with a lot of girth, I crank it up. I’ve been cooking on wood and fire for over 40 years on just about every device known to man (including my Grandfather’s smokehouse) and have never had anyone complain about bitterness of any food. I do know (after living in Arizona for 3 years) that wood like mesquite can add a flavor profile that most people don’t “take a liken to” but that isn’t because of dirty smoke, it is because mesquite is naturally more acrid to most peoples’ taste buds. It is not much different than someone using green pine for their pit and finding out the sap “sours” the meat. As a recommendation, try pumping up the smoke level in a controlled manner on a future cook (but don’t over do it) and I think you will be quite surprised by the results you get. Especially if you don’t think the RT can put out enough smoke.

Just my thoughts.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back